Spread Offense

Reaction score
After watching Gray today I had a thought. Did Brewster ditch the spread too quickly? It seems like next year we would have the players(Gray, TS, Allen, Whaley) needed to run a very good spread.

I think Brewster made a mistake, he never got to run the spread with his players. He has now recruited two years for the spread and they change to a pro style offense. I feel like we are two years behind again. Any chance we go back to the spread next year?

I thought the same and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they incorporated more spread aspects with the personal they have as you pointed out. I just hope they can do it with Fisch - as everyone has stated, the revolving coordinators needs to stop.

We're not behind. The elements of the spread still exist within the offensive package, as we've seen quite a bit this year. Brewster himself has stated that you figure out a way to utilize your best players and you make the system work for them. The underlying message there was that as soon as Gray gets behind center, we'll likely become more of a spread team again. We just didn't have the horses or a spread QB the last couple of years, so they tried to switch to a more balanced offense that would suit Weber's skills.

The switch was more about the running game than Weber, but you better believe when MarQueis gets out there full time, we will spread the field and he will have opportunities to make plays with his feet. Just because they're not exclusively spread doesn't mean they won't run a spread formation ever. They just wanna be able to line up and pound out a 3rd and 2, unfortunately something they still can't do consistently.

Do we ever have 3rd and 2 anymore? When we moved away from the spread we lost our best runner.

jil62- Brew recruited two years for the spread. Our best talent is our WRs and our best runners our are QBs. The pro-set offense has not utilized either very well.

Look across the field today. OSU doesn't run the spread, but utilizes Pryor's tools.

And what about last week? Same thing with Clark. Clark is a better passer than Pryor (at least right now), but both PSU and OSU run spread-type plays for the QB out of a pro-set.

They both have at least one major thing we don't, an O-line. Our QBs dont have the time Pryor or Clark did, and Weber can not consistently complete a 6 yards pass.

Top Bottom