Sportsmanship

magpie

Banned
Reaction score
Where do you define what's in good sportsmanship and what's inappropriate?

Today has two notable Big Ten examples:

1) Wisconsin put 70 up on Austin Peay. I'm not sure what they gained out of scheduling such a weak opponent, and certainly don't understand why they felt the need to score 10 TD's.

2) Michigan is currently at 65 against Bowling Green. In their case, a majority of their points have come in the 4th quarter. Again, why do they feel the need to score so many TD's when the game is safe?

3) Minnesota forces a turnover and is sitting at first and goal with 90 seconds left and the lead. Brewster calls for downing it 3 times.

I know this is a gray area, but sometimes sportsmanship or the lack thereof is undeniable.

I was watching some of the Whiskey game, and they were airing it out at the end of the 2nd Q up by 5 or 6 TD's. Totally classless.

You gotta try to score. It's why you play. You just can't waste any game time in college. Now in my mind it should be all back ups, but you still want to use the time to develop those kids. You might need them.

The problem is like you said, you shouldn't schedule these teams.

I just want to beat someone by 1...but I think crush the other team if you can. Side note-Austin Peay is better than USD.

I have talked about this with coaches, friends and players (not at this level) and we all feel the same way. If the game is out of hand, empty the bench, keep playing hard, but you don't have to throw bombs, try to can 3 pointers etc. Get quality time and experience for the players.

But what if you're on the other side of it? My feeling is that I would be insulted if the other team didn't try. Understanding that they would be putting in the 3rd or 4th stringers, etc. If I was facing a team that had the scrubs in, and they were taking a knee just to run time off and punt, I would be pissed. That is also quality time for the losing team to gain experience and find out what their players can do.

I didn't see much of the WI game, but when they had 70, there punt return man called for a fair catch when he easily could have returned for at least 10 yards. So Bielema does have some tiny amount of sportsmanship in him.

I have no problem with any of it. A loss is a loss and a win is a win. Wisconsin stopped passing the 2nd half and just ran all over them. They players were no showing up the other team. Michigan was using a backup QB as well. If Wisconsin had been going for it on 4th downs in the 2nd half I might have an issue, but they just ran all over them.

I have no problem with any of it. A loss is a loss and a win is a win. Wisconsin stopped passing the 2nd half and just ran all over them. They players were no showing up the other team. Michigan was using a backup QB as well. If Wisconsin had been going for it on 4th downs in the 2nd half I might have an issue, but they just ran all over them.

I wish our Gophers would be good enough to clear the benches in an easy win once a season. It's good to have competitive games, but the easier games can be good for a lot of things. Michigan got work from 3 QBs, which could pay dividends down the line.

I watched a lot of the Wisconsin game. They did nothing wrong. Good opportunity to rest guys and get ready for the B10 schedule.

As for throwing at the end of the 1st half...there was under 2 minutes left. Again, B10 season starts next Saturday. Had the Gophers done it, we'd call it live practice. Since the Badgers did it, they're d-bags. See how it works?

As for throwing at the end of the 1st half...there was under 2 minutes left. Again, B10 season starts next Saturday. Had the Gophers done it, we'd call it live practice. Since the Badgers did it, they're d-bags. See how it works?

There was a game we beat N'western handily, and in the final minutes of the game Mason called for a successful trick play. Some called it practice, but we never one tried it in any other game. I call it tactless.

You can't tell just from the score whether a team is running it up. Sometimes, the scores keep piling up even if you've pulled your starters.

As for that trick play against Northwestern, I didn't have a problem with it. Northwestern was playing as if they had a chance to win.

You can't tell just from the score whether a team is running it up. Sometimes, the scores keep piling up even if you've pulled your starters.

As for that trick play against Northwestern, I didn't have a problem with it. Northwestern was playing as if they had a chance to win.

We won 43-17 and the trick play TD was with a couple minutes left in the game...

I see nothing wrong with this. People need to stop whinning about sportsmanship. Hey, Austin-P stinks and they got blown out big deal, should wiscy issue an apology for blowing them out? I wish the gophers today go out and blow Northern Ill 80-3, that will make my day. Austin-P didnt have to agree to a game with the Badgers but they did, well they learned that they really suck and were way overmatched. I am glad for the Badgers and Wolverines for showing balls and having there way with the teams they played. I cant believe I said that because I hate those two teams with a passion. Lets hope for a blowout on our GOPHERS part. Gophers #1

I think that when you are in contention for a bcs bowl (ie in the top 15 or 20) then you should do anything you can to better your ranking. If that means running up a 70 point score - so be it. I don't like it, but thats the way the game is played in the bcs era.

magpie

guess you did not see the game last week when UW was ahead by one and took 3 knees to end the game.

In today's game UW started the 2nd team QB in the 2nd half, he only throw 7 pass's.
It was is first game , he needed some game experience before the B10 start next week.

Good luck tonight . Hope you don't pull a Purdue and get beat .

Top Bottom