Sportsmanship, Fun, and Booze

MrC

Reaction score
I used to almost dread the Iowa and Wisconsin games in the Dome. Not because of the usual loss, but because of the atmosphere of the games.

The best description I can give of the atmosphere at those games is "mean drunk." This is the same feeling I get by the third quarter of Viking games at the dome.

I missed last year's Iowa game, but this year I noticed a much mellower vibe in this year's crowd compared to the Dome years. I sat next to a guy from Iowa, and he was a polite, but passionate fan who would be welcome to sit by me at any game. And I did not see groups of obnoxious Iowa fans trying to take over the concourses like they did at the Dome.

I am no teetotaler by any means. But I am beginning to think the no-alcohol policy at the stadium might be improving the game day experience.

We still had plenty of jerks around us. Still chirpin toward us even after we took the lead of 22-21 because they thought Gopher fans were complaining about the obvious PI penalty on the 2PC. It was nice to just turn around and wave them goodbye while we proceeded to retain Floyd!

After the game, and in traffic, my wife and I remarked how relatively well-behaved the Iowegians were yesterday - even when winning 21-10 in the 4th quarter. Note: regrettably, the 2010 Iowa game was the only home game I missed. We couldn't figure it out on the drive home - and then it hit me . . . no beer sold in the stadium.

Having said that, I am - and remain 100% behind, and fully support and encourage, sales of alcohol in the club and premium seating areas. Nay, I think it is a must.

But I do think that no booze in the majority of TCF + the 50K capacity = fewer and more docile opponent (especially Hogeyes) fans.

Of course, there were the Iowa fans who were caught with those tiny airplane type liquor bottles by police down in the closed end of the end zone in the upper deck. Police gave them a rough time for a while, but I think eventually let them go.

We had are usual out of town jerks behind us. If fact one of the iowa idiots tried to choke a Gopher fan and had to move thanks to a security guard.

Top Bottom