Sports Huddle Summary Report: Coach Jerry Kill - 1/15/12

DL65

Reaction score
Today's segment with coach Kill was abbreviated because of his interviews with visiting recruits. The Kill interview with Dave and Sid was conducted between a break in his visits with recruits. Of note, Dave Mona asked another question submitted in a thread(s) on this forum by a GopherHolers - sonnygarcia, killjoy, Saluki07, and gall0249 - near the end of the interview.

1) Kill opened the show, "Just got done visiting with a recruit." He said he'd interview another player shortly.

2) Sid asked about Stoudermire's medical hardship waiver: "Good for him! He has the ability for the next level." He said the additional year will help prepare him for the NFL ("He's still learning.") and, more importantly, will allow him to earn his degree, which he said was really important. He said the NFL stands for "Not For Long." Again, stressing the importance of academics and getting one's degree. (Before Kill joined the telecast, Sid said Stoudermire was the second best athlete on the team. Marquies Gray was first.)

3) Recruiting: Kill said the recruits arrive Friday and hit the ground running, which continues all day Saturday and then finish up visiting with coach Kill. If there is a game at home on Saturday they attend the venue . . . they meet with the educators in their field of interest . . . selling and introducing them to the "great" Twin Cities - they make sure there's a visit to Mall of America. "We keep them busy!" Tonight coach Kill will make some home visits as he will tomorrow and Tuesday. It's an extremely busy time and will be for the next three weeks until signing day.

4) Sid asked how recruiting is going: Kill ressponded, "I think it's pretty good." He went onto say a couple positions are a concern (didn't identify the positions) . . . "We're recruiting for the positions." Looks for recruits that can run . . . strength . . . and those that can succeed in school. He also said the coaching changes have altered the recruiting environment . . . coaches in new positions frequently come back to players they may have passed on earlier.

5) Dave then used sonnygarcia's, Saluki07's, killjoy's, and gall0249's query concerning the current status of Campion, Gjere, Beal and Brooks Michel: Kill said Beal and Marcus Jones are "doing well" in their rehab . . . Campion and Gjere, "That's up to our trainers." (It's unknown at this time whether or not they'll participate in spring drills.) . . . no mention to the status of Brooks Michel.

6) Spring game is a question mark: "I don't know if we'll be there." He said they're still lacking numbers because of the attrition in previous classes to conduct a bona fide spring game.

7) Walkons: Kill said they're trying to get to 35 recruits in this year's class, whether they're scholarship recruits or walkons. (He said he doesn't like the term walkon. He stressed they're important players . . . hinted the term walkons connotes that they're less as players; they're all important.)

8) Sid said there's talk that there could be a reduction in scholarship numbers from 85 to 80: Kill responded saying he heard the same thing. He's not in favor of such action. He's seen many recruits that have succeeded because of football: "I don't want to see anyone lose the opportunity to go to school!"

9) Dave asked about the new uniforms: "I'm more worried about finding players to go inside the uniforms." He said he appreciates the efforts of others as they relate to the uniforms, etc. However, if he doesn't focus and find quallity people to wear the uniforms, someone else will be in his place to turn the program around.

Go Gophers!!

Great write up, thanks DL.

I think Michel has already confirmed he is done playing football (I could be mistaken).
It's interesting what he said about the coaching changes affecting recruiting. We haven't seen much change from the outside, so things must be going on behind the scenes.

I am guessing that the coaching changes mean that the coaches have moved to other locations and are now looking at players that they passed on recruiting for the previous location but could use at the new location. I also hope it means we are looking at players whose coaches have moved onto new locations and may now be open to a new look. Is this what you were inferring he meant.

Thanks for the recap, I listened too and here are a couple of my interpretations.

It sounded like Kill was not sure on Beal's status, he commented that he had a "pretty bad" knee injury and it might take him all the way to the Spring practices to see if his rehab will allow him to play, I get the impression there might be some doubt over whether he will ever be effective again and back to 100%. Kill sounded more optimistic on Jones.

There was also a question regarding recruiting the Miami players, he said that yes they were recruiting Miami, but when Sid asked if they are recruiting 4 players from that school, Kill said that no they are not recruiting 4 players from that school (did anyone pick up on this, I could have heard wrong).

Sounds like Kill thinks Stoudemire can be more than just a special teams guy/kick returner in the NFL and that he might have an outside chance to make it as a CB if he gets another year of good coaching under Sawvel who is a great coach and some hard work in.

Thanks DL!

I wish he would update us on Michel, Klos (who looked good last spring) as well as Cosgrove and his cancer treatment.

I think I heard JK say that he didn't have four recruits at ANY school - he was trying to avoid saying anything specific about any recruits or schools.

Thanks for the recap, I listened too and here are a couple of my interpretations.

It sounded like Kill was not sure on Beal's status, he commented that he had a "pretty bad" knee injury and it might take him all the way to the Spring practices to see if his rehab will allow him to play, I get the impression there might be some doubt over whether he will ever be effective again and back to 100%. Kill sounded more optimistic on Jones.

There was also a question regarding recruiting the Miami players, he said that yes they were recruiting Miami, but when Sid asked if they are recruiting 4 players from that school, Kill said that no they are not recruiting 4 players from that school (did anyone pick up on this, I could have heard wrong).

Sounds like Kill thinks Stoudemire can be more than just a special teams guy/kick returner in the NFL and that he might have an outside chance to make it as a CB if he gets another year of good coaching under Sawvel who is a great coach and some hard work in.

Kill did sound more optimistic about Jones' recovery and rehab. He said Beal's injury was much more serious, and that he really tore it up, whereas Marcus Jones injury was to his ACL. Again, it remains a wait and see proposition about spring ball participation for both players.

You're correct about Kill's reaction to Sid's question. He immediately said that he could not make any specific comments, however, he did say there weren't four recruits from one school.

Go Gophers!!

I am guessing that the coaching changes mean that the coaches have moved to other locations and are now looking at players that they passed on recruiting for the previous location but could use at the new location. I also hope it means we are looking at players whose coaches have moved onto new locations and may now be open to a new look. Is this what you were inferring he meant.

Coach Kill referenced the turnover at Wisconsin and also mentioned Pittsburgh . . . so I took it that some of the coaches at Pittsburgh (head and assistants) that had coached in Madison may be looking at players that they had passed on earlier. Obviously, he didn't say or name any of Minnesota's potential recruits as being looked at by the Panther coaches, but I took it he was inferring that. And, of course, I could be very much mistaken. He reiterated, again, that nothing is certain until signing day has come and gone. It's the busy time in recruiting, and as we have seen in the past, be prepared for some surprises up to signing day.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL!

I wish he would update us on Michel, Klos (who looked good last spring) as well as Cosgrove and his cancer treatment.

We'll just have to wait and see what Dave Mona gleans from this site and what he'll ask in the coming weeks. I suspect many of the suggestions/questions in the two GopherHole threads that we'd liked asked will be heard in upcoming shows. That's my take . . . so patience. By the way, both are good questions!

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL!

We'll just have to wait and see what Dave Mona gleans from this site and what he'll ask in the coming weeks. I suspect many of the suggestions/questions in the two GopherHole threads that we'd liked asked will be heard in upcoming shows. That's my take . . . so patience. By the way, both are good questions!

Go Gophers!!

FYI, if Michel and Cosgrove have not given the AD written permission to comment publicly on their medical conditions, it is against the law. Just sayin'. It is really a private matter under HIPAA.

FYI, if Michel and Cosgrove have not given the AD written permission to comment publicly on their medical conditions, it is against the law. Just sayin'. It is really a private matter under HIPAA.

I am aware of HIPAA, there is nothing to stop them from saying it is a private matter and they will not address it in public. So you have talked to the families and this is what they have told you?

Thanks

Thank you for the recaps as always. I love how Kill says he has to interview players and not just talk with them.

I hadn't heard anything about the # of scholarships potentially being reduced. Whats the deal on that?

I am aware of HIPAA, there is nothing to stop them from saying it is a private matter and they will not address it in public. So you have talked to the families and this is what they have told you?

Thanks
Chill. Lots of people don't know about HIPAA or think it is less restrictive then it is.

Thank you for the recaps as always. I love how Kill says he has to interview players and not just talk with them.

I hadn't heard anything about the # of scholarships potentially being reduced. Whats the deal on that?

Kill referenced the NCAA contemplating cutting scholarships from 85 down to 80, this would apply to all schools and not just the Gophers. Kill went on to say that he thinks it would be a mistake because there a lot of young men that have improved their lives by being able to go to college via a football scholarship that might not otherwise get that chance to go to college.

Top Bottom