Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 7/22/12

DL65

Reaction score
Responses and comments by coach Jerry Kill on today's Sports Huddle with Sid Hartman and Dave Mona:

1) Sid opened the show speaking glowingly about "Date Night Coach Kill and Rebecca at TCF Bank Stadium": "We had a great time . . . want to credit our staff, they had a big part (in the evening event's success) . . . coaches had a good time . . . we'll do it again." (Later in the Sports Huddle, Dave Mona said coach Kill expected 100 for the evening event, however, more than 200 people participated.) (Later, Sid said Kill does the PR work that Lou Holtz did and probably is exceeding him in that area, too. He also mentioned a walkon from Georgia (no name given) that he's excited about. Sid expects the Gophers to win 6 games this year and then they'll enjoy better seasons.)

2) Sid asked what's on the coaches agenda: Kill said he's looking forward to the last camp, which starts this afternoon. They expect 100 youth that will start their junior year this fall. He spoke excitedly about the camp visitors. He said he knows a lot more about the campers (players from Minnesota) now that he's been in Minnesota for more than a year.

Kill said he'll leave Wednesday morning for that afternoon's Big 10 Meeting in Chicago. Meanwhile the assistant coaches and staff will fine tune the preparations for the two-a-days starting August 1. They'll script what they want and need to see during the two-a-days as well goals and determine who makes the 105 player roster for fall camp. Kill said they'll have to make some difficult decisions to get to the 105 man roster.

3) Dave made the observation that the Twin Cities recent heat wave is probably good preparation for the UNLV game: "We have Las Vegas weather in recent weeks. Hopefully our guys have adapted to the weather during their training." He then focused his comments on fall practice and said they'll be interested in the type of weather they will encounter during fall practice.

4) Sid asked if the team is healthy for the upcoming season: "We want to be healthy . . . a few kids with nicks from training." He also said he hopes all of the team's question marks (individual health-related issues) will be resolved and they'll know more after the first two weeks of two-a-days.

Dave said when the two-a-days start in August the Jerry Kill segment will return to the Sunday 9:30 a.m. slot and will run for the full half-hour.

Go Gophers!!

I'm glad that "Date Night" event has come and gone, I'm sick of hearing about it.

I'm glad that "Date Night" event has come and gone, I'm sick of hearing about it.

Glad to hear that it went well and look forward to hearing more about it.

Thanks DL....you're the best. Anybody know who the Georgia walk-on is?

I have no idea if this is the kid, but I remember a thread a month or so ago about the Intro Video of Gopher Freshman moving into the dorms and there was a kid named Devante Fudge who was moving into the dorm (I've never heard of him, he's not on the gophersports roster, etc.). I know he is from Jacksonville, Florida. So I don't know how he could be the walk-on from Georgia. But yeah, he's kind of a mysterious player as well.

Fudge left the same day he arrived. As for "Date Night," it was a great Football event. We did the Victory Walk, put on our customized jerseys, Coach gave the same speech he gave before the Iowa game, we charged onto the field to smoke and fireworks, ran passing and punt return drills, got to receive playcalls from Limegrover, put on the new unis and helmet, ate a superb catered meal, and got to spend some true quality time with the coaches and staff. Other than that, it sucked.

Highwayman....i wish we could have gone. Living in TX it is hard. :( glad it was a great nght. Maybe i can plan a trip up next year for it.

Any more insight into the pre game speech b4 the Iowa game? What did he say?

GM

Top Bottom