Sports Huddle: Coach Kill - 8/7/11

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's comments on today's Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave Mona:

1) At the start of the program, Sid related a human interest story involving coach Kill: Coach Kill had received information about a junior high school football player that was in a Rochester hospital in serious condition. Kill and his wife, Rebecca, went to see the young boy as well as other patients during the visit. Sid also mentioned Kill's visit with attorney Sam Sigelman (spelling ?), who was battling cancer-related problems.

2) Orientation this afternoon, which is the start of fall camp. Tomorrow afternoon practice begins, and the coaching staff will start getting matrerial in and evaluating old and new players (105 players in camp). Will be looking for individual improvement from spring ball. Freshmen and returning players will be working togehter . . . "see what we have."

3) After the first week of practice the coaches will have a pretty good idea about the athleticism of the players. It's easier to ascertain the athletic abilities than "what's inside." What's inside (heart) takes a little longer to determine.

4) Shortell: His dad played at Pittsburgh State . . . knows a little about his ability but they'll know more during two-a-days. He went on to talk briefly about Dexter Foreman. Eager to see how both QB's look. They'll be spendng a lot of individual time wiith coach Kill.

5) First scrimmage will be conducted a week from Tuesday.

6) Sid said that the offensive line coach was enthused about the OL group . . . Kill was positive as well, however, he said they're young. Hopes to redshirt all six incoming OL recruits, but time will tell and they'll know more as fall camp progresses. Kill mentioned Bunders, Orton and Olson, and that they'll need to step it up and provide leadership.

7) Clearinghouse-related information: There may be a couple questions, however, looks as though they're set to go. Talked about MacKnight's knee injury . . . slow process . . . will work him but watch the swelling closely. Kendall Gregory . . . will be in camp and will be watching his play and recovery of a foot injury that occurred prior to spring ball in a pickup basketball game. Focus of fall camp is on getting better as the two-a-days progress.

8) Sid mentioned a statement that Kill had recently made that if he couldn't do it (coach) the way he wants to do it that he'd walk away from coaching, "Give my best or I'd walk away." "What you invest in life is what you get in life."

9) Secondary play; Evaluation will be key in fall camp. The defense, as a whole, got better as the spring went on. He then talked about Kim Royston. Kim needs to be healthy and provide leadership. He also mentioned Stoudemire and his potential.

10) Kicking game: Stoudemire returning kicks and punts. Doesn't like to use freshmen in returning punts but has. Others mentioned in kick and punt returns: Malcom Moulton and Marcus Jones. What he's looking for on punt returns . . . catching the ball first (field position) and then what can the player do with the ball after the catch.

11) Marcus Jones is a unique individual. Came to the U mid-year from high school (early graduate). Didn't get hurt during spring ball and has gained weight . . . went from about 162 pounds to his current weight of 175 pounds. Got better with each practice and was outstanding in the classrooom, 3.7 GPA.

12) Sid said he's impressed with the coaching staff, which he said exudes confidence. He then related how the coaching staff was hopeful that Marqueis Gray wouldn't touch the ball when NIU played the Gophers last fall. Kill: Defensive coaches try to devise ways to limit touches by the oppoing teams go-to players.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for another detailed Huddle with Kill report, DL. You could really give lakesbison some lessons on how to report facts. :)

DL65 again thanks for recapping the Sports Huddle. WCCO should offer you money for the transcript of the show. I had my laptop at the hospital and listened to it on CBS Minnesota. Sid is being used. While I will have to say he can do it as long as he wants, his thoughts, questions, and statements seem random and maybe scripted. It is painful to listen, when you remember the days of Today's Sports Hero. The only thing worse would be if they replace Sid, wait...... you got it Mike Max.

Unfortunately, Sid will never hang it up/retire and will go the grave clutching his tape recorder.

He said he has 9 offensive line candidates for 5 positions. While he mentioned Wynn will need to be a leader at Center, and gave the same to Olson, Bunders, and Orton. That leaves one postion and 5 candidates? Gjere, Ferguson, Campion, Michel, Ragoo? Campion is the wild card. Could he press for Orton, Bunders, or Wynn's starting position? Hopefully someone will cover the practices, either a gopherholer with access, a blog, or conventional media.

He said he has 9 offensive line candidates for 5 positions. While he mentioned Wynn will need to be a leader at Center, and gave the same to Olson, Bunders, and Orton. That leaves one postion and 5 candidates? Gjere, Ferguson, Campion, Michel, Ragoo? Campion is the wild card. Could he press for Orton, Bunders, or Wynn's starting position? Hopefully someone will cover the practices, either a gopherholer with access, a blog, or conventional media.

Don't think Michel is in the mix. Don't think his concussion syndrome has improved. Tommy Olson is my #9.

Kill said he wants to red shirt all his lineman if he can so that leaves T Olson out for this year. My bet is Gjere, or Ferguson for the spot. I am leaniing to Jimmy G

For some reason I am kind of nervous about mcknight's injury. No knowledge, just a nervous feeling after basketball season.

Top Bottom