Spin off post: What AQ-school would you like to see the Gophers play?

emann

Reaction score
This post spins off of the BleedGopher post about UNC being possibly taken off of the schedule. I really liked having USC and Cal on the schedule in years past.

Opening it up, what teams would you like the Gophers to have a home/away series with? Take away all scheduling snafus and such, just as a hypothetical. Who would you pick? (Realistically though, teams aren't going to add more than one AQ school each year to their non-conference schedule, so we'll keep that as a general rule.)

Some games that I think would be fun:
- Boise State - If it's early on in the season you know it's going to be televised nationally and it would be great to see the Gophers in that environment.
- Ole Miss - Would be cool to add an SEC team and one that would be a close game.
- Oregon State - I think that makes a lot of sense for a home/away at this point in both teams' programs.

The only school I really wouldn't care to see them play would be Maryland and that's based solely on their uniforms. I don't want to watch an entire game with those awful things all over the screen and if the rumors about the pewter/black field are true, then God help us all.

Anyway, who do you guys got?

1) Colorado State. I went there a handful of years ago during the Maroney/Barber days. It was a good road trip, and the atmosphere was great. The big dirt parking lot for tailgaiting was outstanding. The Rams fans were very cordial.

2) Kansas. Another team where I could contemplate a road trip. A side trip to Arthur Bryant's in KC would be warranted. Plus, if Charlie Weiss is still around, that always adds to the story.

3) Iowa State. It bugs me that we will not play them. That's a natural rival. Get the Hawkeyes and Gophers on a rotating schedule. You can have your trophy. We play for enough of them already.

West Virginia
Clemson
Georgia
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame

Notre Dame, cuz I fuggin hate them and would love to see us beat them.

UCLA- so the players could know first hand where we want to go eventually.

TCU- be good to have Kill compete with one of his best friends.

I agree with Ole Miss- I've heard they have one of the best
gameday experiences around.

And...

Cincinnati- Since I live there now (and am going to grad school there in the fall. No worries, Gophers will always come first).

1) UNLV - am excited for Aug 30; if we would play again in a few years rumors are hinting about a new on campus stadium in Vegas
2) South Carolina - an even match with an SEC team and would be good to return to the old alma mater; there are also some coaching connections - Holtz, Gutey and Tom Gadd coached at both places; side trips to Charleston and Myrtle Beach would also be in order
3) Arizona State - Ruesse keeps talking about that terrible loss in '69, let's go to Tempe and avenge it
4) Oregon - we were even with them about 10 years ago, they can't stay as good as they have recently, at least for much longer

Notre Dame-Wish we had a shot at them in the past decade as they've been very beatable even for the Gophers
Miami- Would love to play the Canes
Alabama- Always great to play the best and the staff seems to be attempting to land players from there

Florida, Florida St. and Miami just because they are solid and could possibly help our recruiting in that state. Colorado so I can travel to Boulder and watch another game in Folsom. Love that stadium!

With the new Big 10/Pac 12 agreement starting in 2017, it will be fun to start playing some new, unique opponents. Any of those Pac 12 teams make for a great series. In terms of visiting a place, I hope we get games at Washington, at Utah, and at Colorado. All super, scenic settings and all winnable games.

stadium4.jpg

UtahStadium.jpg

Commencement3.jpg

With the new Big 10/Pac 12 agreement starting in 2017, it will be fun to start playing some new, unique opponents. Any of those Pac 12 teams make for a great series. In terms of visiting a place, I hope we get games at Washington, at Utah, and at Colorado. All super, scenic settings and all winnable games.

View attachment 1570

View attachment 1571

View attachment 1572

I like the way you are thinking about this - I might add UCLA, we finally could play in the Rose Bowl, or Stanford

SEC: Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky
Pac-12: Washington, Arizona State, UCLA, Colorado
Big 12: Kansas, Texas
ACC: Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami
Others: Air Force (just played them, but would love to play them out there), Navy

Kansas seems like it should be a recurring match-up for us.
Tennessee would be fun (mostly for selfish reasons since I live down there).

Does the B1G schedule regular season games against the SEC? I thought we were still fighting the Civil War on that one...

I'd like to go to Boise State. Also Oregon, Colorado, Utah...I guess any Pac-12...I've been to Cal and USC. They all seem to have unique settings. Kansas and K State would be fun, also ISU.

This post spins off of the BleedGopher post about UNC being possibly taken off of the schedule. I really liked having USC and Cal on the schedule in years past.

Opening it up, what teams would you like the Gophers to have a home/away series with? Take away all scheduling snafus and such, just as a hypothetical. Who would you pick? (Realistically though, teams aren't going to add more than one AQ school each year to their non-conference schedule, so we'll keep that as a general rule.)

Some games that I think would be fun:
- Boise State - If it's early on in the season you know it's going to be televised nationally and it would be great to see the Gophers in that environment.
- Ole Miss - Would be cool to add an SEC team and one that would be a close game.
- Oregon State - I think that makes a lot of sense for a home/away at this point in both teams' programs.
The only school I really wouldn't care to see them play would be Maryland and that's based solely on their uniforms. I don't want to watch an entire game with those awful things all over the screen and if the rumors about the pewter/black field are true, then God help us all.

Anyway, who do you guys got?
Oregon St is on the schedule for 2017 & 2018. Agree, that should be a fun series.

My wishlist:
Arizona
Stanford
Georgia

1. Notre Dame
2. Tennessee (tailgate at Rocky Top)
3. Boise State (will be AQ for one year in Big East)

1)Notre Dame
2)Ole Miss
3)Washington
4)Oregon
5)Colorado
6)Kansas

NDSU
I kinda miss LakesBison or whatever his name was.:rolleyes:

Concordia College of Moorhead.
My car windows are dirty.:)

Oregon State. Get to see both alma maters at once. Hope they don't change it.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Gophs play a Big 12 team (or whatever they're calling it now) every year - Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, etc. Missouri would also be a fun matchup (Yes, I know they're switching conferences - but for the life of me, I can't remember where they're going without Googling it.)

I just like the Midwest matchups - I think the fans would get excited, and if the game was at TCF, the Gophs might have a better chance of drawing some visiting fans to help fill the stadium.

Honestly, I don't want to see the Gophs play a team like Alabama or LSU at this point - no sense getting your brains beat in. Down the road, if Kill can elevate the program to where they can be respectable in a big marquee non-conf game, then maybe. It's fun to dream, but under the current setup in college FB, the goal is to come up with at least 6 wins and become bowl-eligible. Until such time as the Gophs become a consistent 8-win or higher team, I don't see them trying to schedule any helmet schools from other BCS conferences.

In no particular order.

Notre Dame (why the hell not?)
Iowa State (we really have no business playing these guys less than twice every decade)
Colorado (actually any Pac12 team would be just fine with me)
Boston College (and I want it to be the same weekend we play them in hockey)

1)Notre Dame
2)Ole Miss
3)Washington
4)Oregon
5)Colorado
6)Kansas

Not ripping on you. What's this Ole Miss sh!t? We will never play them in a scheduled game unless there it's a bowl game or play-off. It's the whole midwest-superiority-slavery that ended 119 years ago-self-loathing thing. Never going away in ours or the next generation. B1G vs. SEC 2025!

I'd rather play Mississippi State for the Warmath Cup...

Top Bottom