Special teams

Maroon92

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the stats comparing 2015 to 2014 but it feels like almost every aspect of special teams is down from last year. We really need to start created better field position on returns (too many fair catches on returnable punts). We also never look for any kinds of block punts. With our offense struggling why do we think we can drive the field for a td when we should take the chance on a block. We had those types of plays last year but play everything so cautiously now.

Agreed. The whole punting game has been bad and has had significant impact on couple games.

One bright spot has been the play of #8 Duke Mcghee. Seems like he's in on very special teams tackle.

Agree wholeheartedly, and it's really disappointing. The only thing I can think of is that the injuries have filtered down to the STs as well. I mean, you lose a starter, so then the backup is starting and no longer on STs (or still on them but tired and winded while covering kicks or blocking). It's been a huge part of our downfall this year though, IMO.

Morrell has had an off year. Height has been a problem on punts. Our KO return team has been horrible on blocking. Myrick is getting the crap beat out of him on returns.

Agree wholeheartedly, and it's really disappointing. The only thing I can think of is that the injuries have filtered down to the STs as well. I mean, you lose a starter, so then the backup is starting and no longer on STs (or still on them but tired and winded while covering kicks or blocking). It's been a huge part of our downfall this year though, IMO.

+1. They've used a lot of starters on special teams since Kill has been here and when they go down, it has a ripple effect.

Top Bottom