Special Teams Could Be Fun on Saturday

HopHead

rank lieutenant
Reaction score
I was looking at the play-by-play of Indiana State's game against Butler and noticed that their kicker didn't have a single kickoff go for a touchback. Only one of his 7 kickoffs even made it to the goal line. The Gophers had a couple of nice returns last Saturday and I don't see why that shouldn't continue this week.

Hopefully the Gophers will only have one kickoff to return. But if that isn't the case, it's something to keep an eye on.

Also, their punter didn't exactly have a banner game either. He averaged 32 yards per kick and had one that only went 16 yards.

After seeing our punt return last week I hope their punter bombs it over our heads every time. I get nervous watching Woli run up to return the short ones... Or just kick it out of bounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as on short kicks we don't do that whole calling for the ball and the catch the ball with your chest as you fall forward surrounded by defenders.....

As long as on short kicks we don't do that whole calling for the ball and the catch the ball with your chest as you fall forward surrounded by defenders.....

In Woli's case, he didn't get his feet under him.

We have to temper our expectations on special teams. They have a preseason FCS All-American on their squad.

JOSHUA APPEL: ALL-AMERICAN
Sycamore fans may not want to see the punter in action, but they had best pay close attention to who is snapping him the ball, as Indiana State may have the best long snapper in college football in 2016. Senior Joshua Appel continues to dazzle at camps around the country, and this past summer he was rewarded with a spot on the First-Team on the STATS FCS Preseason All-American team. Appel was also a Preseason honoree in 2015 as a Second-Team member, and was named a First-Team All-American at the end of the season.

i'm just glad we don't call it special forces any more.

Myrick to the house to open the game

Maybe I'm just an old fuddie, but I hate the term "to the house" for a touchdown - or the even more odious variation - "He housed it." To score a touchdown, you have to run the ball into the end zone.

And technically, in a game played at "the Big House" in Michigan, every touchdown is going to the house, so the use of "to the house" is redundant.

Top Bottom