Sparty

swingman

Reaction score
Still big cloud hanging over program with investigation unresolved.

Spring game will go on this Saturday. Dantonio spoke to media for only second time of entire Spring. Wouldn't talk football because football is trivial.

From Detroit News:

"In the grand scheme, Michigan State’s response to the situation will not be judged by whether it held a spring game. Dantonio figured he wouldn’t have to face such a decision because, like almost everyone else, he thought the investigation would be done by now. That was the early indication, but after the Ingham County Prosecutor’s office received additional evidence from Michigan State Police two weeks ago, there’s been no word on possible charges.

That makes a bad situation even more uncomfortable, because the three players under investigation are not the only ones suspended from the team. Dantonio confirmed there are others, for unrelated reasons.

So when fans and media watch the game Saturday, they can see who’s missing and draw their own conclusions. You don’t have to dig very deep on social media to gather possible names, but the media has responsibly not published them.

This is what I don’t get — why would Dantonio go so far to protect the identity of three players, then fuel the speculation with multiple absences Saturday? Players who miss the game will (and should) be noted. You can’t put on a public event attended by thousands of fans and expect pertinent information to be ignored.

Dantonio’s response to that was disconcerting.

“You’ll be the person lumping them in, if you write about it,” Dantonio said. “No, I don’t think it’s fair. But you’ll be writing about it.”

Asking your average media person to show restraint, wait for the facts to roll in, or gasp, not name players that haven't been charged is analogous to holding a juicy steakin front of a starving dog's nose. They can't help themselves. Yes, Dantonio's response is "disconcerting". Scary stuff.

From the article:

This is what I don’t get — why would Dantonio go so far to protect the identity of three players, then fuel the speculation with multiple absences Saturday? Players who miss the game will (and should) be noted. You can’t put on a public event attended by thousands of fans and expect pertinent information to be ignored.

Dantonio’s response to that was disconcerting.

“You’ll be the person lumping them in, if you write about it,” Dantonio said. “No, I don’t think it’s fair. But you’ll be writing about it.”

Top Bottom