Southern Cal should be playing Texas

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
For the nat'l title. Big Ten getting clobbered - could lose six of seven, depending on Ohio State. You can't win the big games by running the ball - though you have to be able to run it some (Gophers first three plays of the second half a good illustration).

You can thank Jadquizz Rodgers and Michael Crabtree for that not being the case.

Agree strongly on the plus one playoff - I think we may see that eventually...Southern Cal might have a shot at the AP poll championship.

plus one playoff... UF, OU, Texas, USC...LETS PLAY.

Everyone always has a genius playoff idea AFTER the season is over. Try coming up with something before the season is over. Nothing works.

Everyone always has a genius playoff idea AFTER the season is over. Try coming up with something before the season is over. Nothing works.

People having been advocating a plus one for years. I didn't just make that up, its a strong idea with many supporters. Jim Delany will never release the BCS from his kung-fo grip.

Plus 1 would not have worked this year. Not at all.

You are excluding PSU with the convenient knowledge of what already happened in the Rose Bowl. So PSU would have been picked instead of Texas. This solves nothing. Because (until tonight) all of the controvery has involved Texas/Oklahoma with almost no mention of USC. And a Final Four would never allow two teams in the same division to play in a Final Four.

In addition to Texas, Plus One would have gave the shaft to Utah, Boise State, and Texas Tech. So a Plus One creates four pissed-off schools instead of one or two.

Just curious but who in the world would have picked PSU over Texas? Everyone in their right mind (Even before yesterday) knows that Texas would clobber PSU...an 8 team playoff is the best bet, not the +1. Take the winners from the 5 major conferences (ACC, B10, B12, SEC, PAC 10) and then have 3 at large bids. It's really not that difficult, it's mind-boggling to me nobody has figured that out yet.

Playoff

...an 8 team playoff is the best bet, not the +1. Take the winners from the 5 major conferences (ACC, B10, B12, SEC, PAC 10) and then have 3 at large bids.

I don't think it is that nobody has figured this out, it is that there is a lot more at work than simply switching to a playoff system. Namely money, big-time sponsorships, etc.

If we ever see a playoff system, I think the key to determining how many teams are in will be to determine how many teams, in an average year, logicially have a true shot at winning a national championship. This year, pre-bowls, how many teams do you think could say they had a logical shot at winning a national title?

My guesses in no particular order:

Florida
Alabama
USC
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Penn State
Utah

This works out quite well into 8, an easy 3-round playoff. I think four would leave potentially championship-caliber teams out, and any more than 8 may not be feasible and may be overkill. I know there will be arguments regarding Penn State after their performance vs. USC. But think of it, if not for a late interception vs. Iowa, they would quite possibly be #1 and playing for a national title next week.

The biggest problems them become: What about the current bowl system? Would the bowls then become the destination of the teams that do not make the playoff? Would the first-round playoff losers be eligible to be selected for a bowl? Would the big-time bowls (BCS bowls primarily) lose all relevance since, at best, they would have the ninth-best team in the country? My scenario has 3 Big 12 teams. Would this be allowable? How would any system cater to the heads of other "major" conferences that are left out (ACC, Big East)?

I don't think it is as black-and-white as many might think. One potential downside could definitely be undefeated major conference teams taking it easy the final week of the season if they assume they are in the playoff regardless of the turnout. This may be alleviated somewhat due to the rivalry games that are often played the final week of the season. And, no doubt, there would still be controvery over seedings, bubble teams, etc., as is seen with the NCAA basketball tournament.

I disagree with the "plus-1" idea because I don't think it solves much. This year, for instance, what if Texas looks great vs. Ohio State (or vice-versa), Texas Tech looks great vs. Mississippi (I relaize they are losing at halftime), Alabama beats Utah easily (or vice-versa). Who would play in the plus 1? The candidates would be:

Florida-Oklahoma winner
USC
Ohio State-Texas winner
Tx Tech if they win
'Bama-Utah winner

Seems like it would not solve any problems! Thoughts?

Sorry for the long ramble.

8 team playoff kills the importance of a regular season...

Plus one is as good as it gets, sure one or two teams will be left bitching every year, would have been Penn St this year. But it still keeps the regular season important and it gives football a very interesting final 4. How good would have Florida-USC, Texas-OU then the winner takes all have been?

8 team playoff kills the importance of a regular season...

It would hurt the regular season, yes, but it would also allow a reprieve for a team that loses at the wrong time (ie toward the end of the season vs the beginning)

Plus one is as good as it gets, sure one or two teams will be left bitching every year, would have been Penn St this year. But it still keeps the regular season important and it gives football a very interesting final 4. How good would have Florida-USC, Texas-OU then the winner takes all have been?

Knowing what is now known after watching USC last night, this scenario is great. However, USC is not ranked in the top-4 in either the BCS or AP, so the "Plus-1" idea would likely have left them out again. Yes, teams will be left out, but I think any system that leaves out a team that has legitimately proven that they could win the national title is no better than anything we have now. With these two matchups, both Alabama and Texas Tech, and perhaps even Penn State (before yesterday) and Utah would have legitimate gripes that could still lead to a potential split national championship.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bowl season, and would miss it greatly if we had a playoff system. I don't know what the right answer is, but I really do not like the plus-1 idea.

Why doesn't everyone just agree to play one home game and one away game against a BCS-conference opponent in September? Problem solved.

The ridiculous non-conference schdules are the whole reason no one has any idea how good anyone is until the bowl games are alredy over.

Of course everyone loves the idea of an 8-team playoff THIS YEAR. Because there was one decent undefeated team and seven teams that had one loss. So it works very well. But no one knew that would happen BEFORE the end of the season. Last year 8 teams would have been too many... 4 was the number everyone wanted.

Top Bottom