Sources: NCAA presents new basketball tournament models that would expand field by 4 or 8 teams

MisterGopher

Reaction score
NCAA officials on Wednesday presented to Division I conference commissioners at least two models of an expanded field, one with an additional four teams and another with an additional eight teams, commissioners told Yahoo Sports. Officials declined to speak publicly about the models.

The models would expand the 68-team field to 72 or 76 teams, with additional at-large selections as well as at least one additional First Four site. Any expansion would begin, at earliest, in the 2025-26 season. If the men’s event expands, the women’s tournament is likely to undergo a similar expansion.

I'd want a 128 team tournament. With no seeding. Just a random draw.

At this point, it's about helping the Gophers and hurting the paying teams by any means necessary.

There is never going to be a way to make every team happy....it just isn't possible.

They have a great thing with the 64 team tournament.....shame they are so determined to find a way to screw it up by continuing to add teams to the mix. Going to hit a point where you have a separate play in tournament the week after the conference tournaments before you have the actual tournament and even then you will have teams complaining or feeling slighted.

Just leave the format alone, moving to 68 was dumb, adding even more play in games is just pointless.

NCAA officials on Wednesday presented to Division I conference commissioners at least two models of an expanded field, one with an additional four teams and another with an additional eight teams, commissioners told Yahoo Sports. Officials declined to speak publicly about the models.

The models would expand the 68-team field to 72 or 76 teams, with additional at-large selections as well as at least one additional First Four site. Any expansion would begin, at earliest, in the 2025-26 season. If the men’s event expands, the women’s tournament is likely to undergo a similar expansion.

Will there be participation trophies? 🤔

They have a great thing with the 64 team tournament.....shame they are so determined to find a way to screw it
It's not broke. Don't fix it. The tiny amount of $$ you'll get from 2-4 extra games isn't worth it you dummies.
I think it stinks.

Then again...I'm a Gophers fan. I'm not just a general fan who will watch anything.

The NCAA seems to be doing everything they can to not protect the game everyone wants to see you. Why do they exist still?
I don't understand why so-called Gophers fans want to protect the system that we absolutely STINK at.

Unless you enjoy watching other teams and don't care if we're in it or not.

I don't understand why so-called Gophers fans want to protect the system that we absolutely STINK at.

Unless you enjoy watching other teams and don't care if we're in it or not.
Because it still means something to make the tourney. Those seasons for this program are special. As another poster mentioned, it will soon be the equivalent of a participation trophy if they keep expanding the field.

Because it still means something to make the tourney. Those seasons for this program are special. As another poster mentioned, it will soon be the equivalent of a participation trophy if they keep expanding the field.
Look at bowl games in football. It used to mean something to make a bowl. Now you just need to not suck in order to qualify since there are so many games.

Look at bowl games in football. It used to mean something to make a bowl. Now you just need to not suck in order to qualify since there are so many games.
We've won 2 NCAA Tournament games in 27 years...and that's BEFORE we officially became a farm-team. Our only chance is to expand the tournament and get hot for a few games. If not...most of us will have long since passed away before we ever make it again.

The games would still be very meaningful with a 128-team field. Yes, Bowls are meaningless...they should go to a large tournament too.

a 5 and 7 regular season kinda sucks :)
That's fair....which makes it really sad when teams aren't even able to reach 5-7 or 6-6 to have a shot at one of the crap ton of games there are now.

I'm sure expanding the tournament is inevitable because it is all about TV money and more games on TV means more money. It would be a shame to see them keep messing with something that is already great but it also isn't surprising to hear they are trying to find ways to expand the tournament.

At some point here we are going to need two page brackets. Page one for all the play in games and page 2 for the remaining 64 that are leftover.

At some point here we are going to need two page brackets. Page one for all the play in games and page 2 for the remaining 64 that are leftover.
I don't think many brackets are on paper anymore but the point stands. Once you make it so daunting that the casual fan won't bother, the ratings will go down. And no one bidding for the tournament package is going to pay a huge extra amount for 4 extra opening round games. Even if you only care about the $$, it's a foolish long-term move. I feel like this is being pushed in large part by coaches who want it to be easier to make the field and save their jobs.

You're a Gophers fan who's already declared you won't watch any of their games...so...
When there's no hope, why bother to watch? Especially now, when we can't even build for the future.

I'm a Gophers fan. I'm NOT a fan of all of college basketball, like many in here are. Many here love the NCAA Tournament...but like I said, I think it stinks...because we're never in it.

When there's no hope, why bother to watch? Especially now, when we can't even build for the future.

I'm a Gophers fan. I'm NOT a fan of all of college basketball, like many in here are. Many here love the NCAA Tournament...but like I said, I think it stinks...because we're never in it.
You sure spend a lot of time here moaning about a sport you no longer care about.

Please move on to one that will bring you pleasure. We’d all be eternally grateful.

Top Bottom