Sources: Big Ten, SEC to talk possible scheduling partnership

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Big Ten and SEC athletic directors will discuss a possible partnership in football scheduling, along with their preferences for automatic bids, in the next iteration of the College Football Playoff.

The discussion is to take place at an in-person meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, next week, multiple sources from both conferences told ESPN on Monday.

The meeting is a continuation of the Big Ten-SEC joint advisory group, which was formed in February and includes the leagues' university presidents, chancellors and athletic directors. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti are scheduled to meet with the athletic directors for one day.

"There is hope that we can definitely move the needle and make some progress on different things," one Big Ten source said.

The future scheduling partnership could hinge on whether the SEC eventually decides to go to nine conference games -- a topic one SEC source said hasn't been a focus of conversations lately. Some Big Ten athletic directors could push back on any agreement if the SEC doesn't move to nine games, because the Big Ten already plays nine league opponents.

"If we're all going to figure this out," one source said, "we've got to be on equal footing."

Sources in both leagues told ESPN on Monday they would prefer to have potentially four automatic bids each to the playoff when the next contract begins in 2026. CFP leaders haven't determined yet what the playoff will look like beyond this season and next. Some said they need to know that before making any decisions about future scheduling partnerships.

"I'm for anything that gives us the maximum number of postseason opportunities," one SEC source said. "I don't count bowl games as postseason opportunities."

Go Gophers!!

4 teams each guaranteed is asinine. 3 fine. But we don’t need 2/3 or the field to be those 2 conferences every year. Make it top 3 and play a 3rd vs 4th place game and the top 2 are in for sure

My dream is something along this lines. I would love to see the SEC and Big Ten to grow to whatever the magic number is 18 - 20 - 24...

Break the Big Ten and SEC into divisions and then have a neutral scheduling committee create the schedules.

Year 1 - Big Ten East plays the SEC East
Year 2 - Big Ten East plays the SEC West
Etc

This would be similar to how the NFL creates scheduling - would be awesome as a fan, not so much for the Gophers. We could trade games with Nevada and Rhode Island for other P5 schools.

At this point, let's scrap the college playoff and just go NFL model. I'd propose the following:

1. Big Ten champ vs. SEC champ Rose Bowl on New Year's Day. Pomp Circumstance. The day that was made for college football.
2. Other bowl games are decided between SEC and Big Ten schools by order of finish and are played before the Rose Bowl (or rotating Bowl gamer, personally I'm rooting for the Rose Bowl 100% of the time)

Go to an 11-game schedule and focus on divisions to:
1. Keep regional rivalries
2. Have schools have something to play by winning their division
3. Big Ten TV rights would be huge for playoffs; Big Ten and SEC get bigger TV rights.
4. Make New Years Day Great Again! Rose Bowl parade, best two college teams between SEC and BigTen play.

Scheduling:
4 divisional games
3 other Big Ten divisional games based on where you finished the prior year. #1 in Division 1 plays #1 in Division 2
2 other Big Ten games (possible for rivalry purposes or just random games
2 non-conference games

Or
5 games of another Big Ten division (rotate each year - will play other Big Ten teams once every 3 years)
2 non-conference games

Playoffs and Championship

8 teams Week 1 Big Ten Playoffs Round 1: (Week before Thanksgiving start)
4 teams Week 2 Divisional Round
2 teams: Week 3 Big Ten Championship: (first Saturday in December)

New Year's Day:
Bowl Games
NY Day = Big Ten vs. SEC Championship game. Make it a trophy game.

Divisions (I'm sure you can make this better, but here is a shot regarding regional)

Division 1:
Oregon
UCLA
USC
Washington
<Add a new team>

Division 2:
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
<Add a new team>

Division 3
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue

Division 4
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Thoughts?

My dream is something along this lines. I would love to see the SEC and Big Ten to grow to whatever the magic number is 18 - 20 - 24...

Break the Big Ten and SEC into divisions and then have a neutral scheduling committee create the schedules.

Year 1 - Big Ten East plays the SEC East
Year 2 - Big Ten East plays the SEC West
Etc

This would be similar to how the NFL creates scheduling - would be awesome as a fan, not so much for the Gophers. We could trade games with Nevada and Rhode Island for other P5 schools.
I think I was writing up my post when you posted. I'm 100% on board with you.

I think we're still moving towards 32 teams in each conference. Which then becomes double the size of the NFL.

I think I was writing up my post when you posted. I'm 100% on board with you.
I love your write up more...

I agree 100% with a lot of with what you said and I totally know that this wouldn't be great for my favorite college football team but as a fan it would be amazing - always having a P5 game on.

Top Bottom