Sound off- What signed recruit are you most excited about?

Greg Johnson

Hearing PJ talk about him, it sounds like he'll play early and be a multi-year starter.

Hon Mention: Henderson, the other OL, and Carrier.

Offense
Greg Johnson. Oline never gets much love but hes going to be a mainstay for our Oline for multiple years

Defense
Zaquan Bryan. Love speed guys. And hes got it!

HM.
Greg Johnson, Jerome Williams, Martin Owusu. Shout out to these 3. They just seem to bleed Gophers and were so active on Twitter with other recruits and each other. Will be fun to follow those three over their careers

Elijah Spencer, because if he is as advertised (a 4* 0.9000 Transfer rating, even if Yah-E doesn't think much of the kid's pedigree), he changes the whole passing game profile. Makes more opportunities for DJ and DWright and Le'Meke; and could make transfer Crooms' (0.8900 Transfer rating, sorry Yah-E) one year here an excellent and productive one.

We also got two really excellent RBs in this class. Have the potential to be everything Ky and Bucky were, and maybe more. If our passing game evolves as expected, these two young men are going to get to run behind an excellent OL that isn't constantly facing stacked boxes. Very nice.

Having said that, this is a really excellent class. The local kids on OL and DL are highly rated and motivated--really good for the program. They will see the field. Our lowest rated HS recruit, surprise commit ILB Kingsbury, is higher rated than Mo Ibrahim, Antoine Winfield, JMS, Tanner ... this is a good class. Kingsbury, already B1G-sized at 6'3" 235, dominated Chicago football. Could be a real pleasant "find" for the Gophs.

The "sleeper" I'll really be watching for, though, is Jack Henderson. He isn't just a run-of-the-mill transfer recruit. PJ isn't going to reach into the FCS pool unless he's got a damn good reason. Henderson appears to have been brought here for a reason--because we lost Flip. And he looks like he might be the proverbial diamond in the rough. With a little S&C work, and maybe a few games getting used to the pace and power of B1G play, he might start to look like the Jack Gibbens of the 2023 class--though probably not right at the outset (he is a three years to play two guy, I believe).

Another interesting "get" might be transfer LB/Edge Collins from NC. Could bolster us in a couple of ways, with Braelon's departure and Rush's graduation. And might have a little info about our game 3 opponent.

This is just a really good class.

Last edited:

All of them. I love the underdogs that don’t get talked about much, turn themselves into 4-5 stars through hard work and perseverance.

The two tight ends look like they’ll be pretty legit pass catchers.

Overall it looks like a good signing day! Like seeing MN players wanting to be a Gopher. Reminds me of days long ago when most HS players wanted to be a Gopher.

2 flying under the radar are Ryan Algrim and Caleb McGrath. Ryan who, in HS, specialized in the long snap and Caleb who can punt with either foot.

Williams, Johnson, Daniels, Tripp and Mister. Massive young men that could be the backbone of the offense in a couple years.

Za’Quan Bryan for me. Athlete who can play multiple positions with speed to burn.

I like the speed of the defensive players and the WRs. Greg Johnson and Jerome Williams loom big.

Top Bottom