Souhan: Predicting the future for Vikings, Gophers as football season begins

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Souhan:

Reasons for optimism:

1. The Gophers have won nine or more games in three of the last four seasons (they went 3-4 in the shortened 2020 season) and coach P.J. Fleck is 4-0 in bowl games.
  2. Quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis is a big, rangy athlete who, in his last two starts, led the Gophers to victories over Wisconsin and Syracuse.
  3. Tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford should be a star, and a comfort to his young quarterback.
  4. Safety Tyler Nubin could be a star, and Cody Lindenberg should be the next in a long line of standout linebackers.
  5. Fleck has found a way to run the ball effectively regardless of personnel changes during his time in Minnesota.
Reasons for pessimism:

1. Last year the Gophers didn't have to play Michigan or Ohio State, yet went on a three-game losing streak during the middle of the season that ended any chance of a special season. This year, the Gophers could start 5-0, but then they will face Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State and Wisconsin.
  2. Receiver Chris Autman-Bell, who is recovering from a torn ACL, hasn't been cleared for football activity.
  3. Stars Mo Ibrahim (running back) and John Michael Schmitz (center) will be missed.
My view:

The Gophers had the advantage of a soft schedule last fall and a remarkably veteran roster, and went 5-4 in the Big Ten. Facing Michigan and Ohio State without Ibrahim and Schmitz will make this a more difficult season. The pick here is a 7-5 finish in the regular season.

Go Gophers!!

Per Souhan:

Reasons for optimism:

1. The Gophers have won nine or more games in three of the last four seasons (they went 3-4 in the shortened 2020 season) and coach P.J. Fleck is 4-0 in bowl games.
  2. Quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis is a big, rangy athlete who, in his last two starts, led the Gophers to victories over Wisconsin and Syracuse.
  3. Tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford should be a star, and a comfort to his young quarterback.
  4. Safety Tyler Nubin could be a star, and Cody Lindenberg should be the next in a long line of standout linebackers.
  5. Fleck has found a way to run the ball effectively regardless of personnel changes during his time in Minnesota.
Reasons for pessimism:

1. Last year the Gophers didn't have to play Michigan or Ohio State, yet went on a three-game losing streak during the middle of the season that ended any chance of a special season. This year, the Gophers could start 5-0, but then they will face Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State and Wisconsin.
  2. Receiver Chris Autman-Bell, who is recovering from a torn ACL, hasn't been cleared for football activity.
  3. Stars Mo Ibrahim (running back) and John Michael Schmitz (center) will be missed.
My view:

The Gophers had the advantage of a soft schedule last fall and a remarkably veteran roster, and went 5-4 in the Big Ten. Facing Michigan and Ohio State without Ibrahim and Schmitz will make this a more difficult season. The pick here is a 7-5 finish in the regular season.

Go Gophers!!
Tyler Nubin's comment on the Strib is that the team is not intimidated. This is all I need to hear. We will have an entertaining brand of football with the Gophers. They are a dangerous team.

Tyler Nubin's comment on the Strib is that the team is not intimidated. This is all I need to hear. We will have an entertaining brand of football with the Gophers. They are a dangerous team.
Mostly concur. Have been since the Kill Era to now. When up against the best over this period we can often match'em as long as we're low-error/error-free and healthy.

At least on the healthy side, need AK and especially CrAB to avoid nicks or worse and make the plays.

2023 is truly a page turned and a New Era. Hopefully it's Golden starting this year...

Significant upgrade at QB imo, Morgan was not the player he used to be last year. I say we pick off one of the big boys this year.

7-5 is a decent year given the schedule.
It means you either had a winning record in conference or beat UNC (who I think is top 4 in the ACC) on the road.

I actually would be less disappointed in 7-5 than 8-4
Because if 8-4 I’ll probably think we should’ve been 9-3 or 10-2
Whereas if the team is 7-5…I’ll probably think the team should’ve been 7-5

Top Bottom