Souhan: Kill has more job security than other coaches because of lack of expectations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

The barometer shifts daily on the coaches in the Twin Cities

The coach: Jerry Kill

The situation: He has a long-term contract, he works more cheaply than most of his peers, and he's worked hard behind the scenes to convince the U's power brokers that he will require plenty of time to turn around the Gophers football program.

He may have more job security than other local coaches because of the lack of expectations surrounding his program. That's right, the local coach with the most job security has a conference record of 4-12 and has suffered a series of seizures.

What he needs to do: Show any sign of progress and remain relatively healthy, and he's safe.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/192753911.html

Go Gophers!!

Baring a total meltdown on or off the field his job security through the end of the 2014 football season is great....after that it will depend on where the team is at but as long as they continue to win 2 conference games nothing will happen next year outside of raising the bar for 2014. All that being said if the team takes a step backwards next year and ticket sales continue to lag it wouldn't shock me to see the new AD make a move, but I think his hand would have to be forced somehow to do it after 2013.

Kill has the most job security because he inherited a dumpster fire. It's not lack of expectations, it's simply reality.

Should Kevin Wilson be held to the same standard (W/L) as Urban Meyer?
Royals manager and Joe Girardi?

Or maybe, just MAYBE, does the caliber of program/teach you're coaching factor into the standard of review for your performance?

Kill has the most job security because he inherited a dumpster fire. It's not lack of expectations, it's simply reality.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, does the caliber of program/teach you're coaching factor into the standard of review for your performance?

+1

Low Expectations? No one has lower expectations than Gardenhire. After 2 years of finishing with the worst record in the American League, Souhan is giving him a pass until 2014. I guess that means there are no expectations for Good Old Gardy. Pro sports have free agency, it shouldn't take 3 or 4 years to rebuild a major league team with a brand new stadium. The folks over at Target Field have the local media buffaloed.

Truthful reporting but phrased with the insensitivity and indifference that is the hallmark of all of our local reporters, in particular this one.

I would beg to disagree. I believe he inherited a young but talented team that was only lacking in coaching continuity. Kill has filled that cap. The rest, ie horrible team that needs to be completely rebuilt? All coach speak; as my dear old Grandmother use to say "even a broke clock is correct twice a day....Souhan hit the nail squarely on the head.

With that being said, I can't fault Kill completely on this one. We recently saw what the result can be if you create expectations (you know...mentioning Rose Bowls and the such.) While not without negative repercussions (mainly last year seniors who took the brunt), the program needs coaching continuity (there's that word again) to take the next step. Again,while not without fault (none of us are), there is little doubt Kill can coach.....just give him time.

If obviously down playing the state of the program will give him that time; cool the Gophers were made up of bad nine man football players when he arrived (no disrespect to 8 and 9 man football
teams).

Exactly. He inherited a team that was so bad they had lost to NDSU and South Dakota. What type of expectations does he want for Kill, a Rose Bowl in year 3? For all the issues with Tubby and the basketball team, they are miles and miles ahead of where the football program was at when Brewster was fired.

I would beg to disagree. I believe he inherited a young but talented team that was only lacking in coaching continuity. Kill has filled that cap. The rest, ie horrible team that needs to be completely rebuilt? All coach speak; as my dear old Grandmother use to say "even a broke clock is correct twice a day....Souhan hit the nail squarely on the head.

With that being said, I can't fault Kill completely on this one. We recently saw what the result can be if you create expectations (you know...mentioning Rose Bowls and the such.) While not without negative repercussions (mainly last year seniors who took the brunt), the program needs coaching continuity (there's that word again) to take the next step. Again,while not without fault (none of us are), there is little doubt Kill can coach.....just give him time.

If obviously down playing the state of the program will give him that time; cool the Gophers were made up of bad nine man football players when he arrived (no disrespect to 8 and 9 man football
teams).

So Kill inherited a young but talented team that was made up of "bad nine man football players?" Which is it?

Baring a total meltdown on or off the field his job security through the end of the 2014 football season is great....after that it will depend on where the team is at but as long as they continue to win 2 conference games nothing will happen next year outside of raising the bar for 2014. All that being said if the team takes a step backwards next year and ticket sales continue to lag it wouldn't shock me to see the new AD make a move, but I think his hand would have to be forced somehow to do it after 2013.

If Kill inherited a "dumpster fire" why shouldn't we expect some improvement after 3 years? Another 2 win season in year 3 would be a step back. The program needs to show improvement and win some ball games against teams with roughly similar talent. Good coaches find a way to win games and they don't go 2-6 3 years in a row.

If Kill inherited a "dumpster fire" why shouldn't we expect some improvement after 3 years?

You're either blind or ignorant if you didn't see improvement from year 1 to 2.

You're either blind or ignorant if you didn't see improvement from year 1 to 2.

Quite true, and the vast majority of that improvement came from the Defense. The best players and biggest contributors on that Defense were Brewster recruits. The "dumpster fire" was heavily caused by the just firing of Brewster in the middle of a season and replacing him with Horton. A guy that everyone in the country knew wouldn't be coaching the team in 2010. Everyone except for some Gopher Hole posters who demanded he get the job.

Kill and his staff took those kids and last year proved they could turn that talent into a pretty good Defense. If they had figured out a way to be better on Offense, they might have been a very good Defense and had a pretty good team.

He's got a 7 year contract. He'll get the chance and the time to do it. Souhan writing about it isn't going to change things either way.

Iceland says: "Souhan writing about it isn't going to change things either way."

Nightmare of Souhan Soup:

1. Bring four cups of water to a rolling boil.
2. Add pinch of salt and 2 tbs butter.
3. Add 2 cups of neighbors dog $hit.
4. Return to full boil.
5. Stir constantly until dog $hit is fully cooked.
6. Throw out the stew and eat the pan.

Go to bed and read Souhan's column, fall asleep, and recycle "Nightmare of Souhan" in your dreams.

Awaken refreshed and ready to go to work, because work is better than reading anything by Jim Souhan.

What he needs to do: Show any sign of progress and remain relatively healthy, and he's safe.

I'm a little confused, isn't this pretty much any third year coach's expectations to keep their job. Even at Ohio State, all Urban Meyer has to do is show any sign of progress and stay healthy and he's safe too. What is the point of this? What coach would lose his job if his team keeps improving year after year?

So Kill inherited a young but talented team that was made up of "bad nine man football players?" Which is it?

You missed my point. I saying he needs time and if him saying the team was horrible will give him that time....fine, the team he inherited was horrible....which it wasn't.

nothing has changed for Kill. Souhan is confusing hope with expectation. JK goes 2-10 this yr and next yr - he's gone.

I should have made my point more clear- 2-10 this yr and again 2-10 in 2014 and JK is gone. u knowits tru.

I should have made my point more clear- 2-10 this yr and again 2-10 in 2014 and JK is gone. u knowits tru.

I think if the team fell off that much the next two years you would have a tough time finding anyone who would support keeping Kill around at that point. Given our pretty soft non-conf schedule I have a hard time believing we will see any 2-10 finishes.

I think if the team fell off that much the next two years you would have a tough time finding anyone who would support keeping Kill around at that point. Given our pretty soft non-conf schedule I have a hard time believing we will see any 2-10 finishes.

Yea, but this is the dead season so people have nothing better to do than post really dumb comments.

Top Bottom