Souhan: Gophers' King responds well after benching

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

He sought advice and comfort from his AAU coaches, his friends. The most important advice he’s received may have come from the last person he wanted to listen to — the guy who removed him from the starting lineup.

“He was bad first half at Nebraska,” Pitino said. “We had two or three practices before that and I told him, ‘Joey, it’s not you. It’s not your fault.’ I always tell people starting doesn’t matter. But it matters to people.

“He was a little mentally out of it to start the Nebraska game. I said, ‘Joey, you’re making it about yourself.’ He said, `You’re right,’ and he played really well in the second half and he responded today.

“Joey wakes up every morning and he’s proud to be a Gopher. He’s one of those stories.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-king-responds-well-after-benching/365554461/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Hope he finds a way to get back to his production at the end of the season. He was probably our best player at that time.

"You're making it about yourself"

Could be said to many players at many points over the years, only some of them understand what that statement means. Good for Joey that he understood that comment and changed for this game at least.

Top Bottom