Souhan Column: With amateurs at the helm, Gophers athletics in disarray

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Minnesota’s athletic department is in disrepair, especially in positions of power, where key decisions are made and examples are set.

Kaler, Goetz, Claeys and Pitino will have to prove they can operate in the world of major-conference sports. Stollings has failed to capitalize on Banham’s greatness. Lucia is not what he once was, and neither is his program.

Claeys will have the opportunity to prove he can coach at this level, and Pitino likely will be given a chance to coach a promising recruiting class. There is always hope in college sports.

At the moment, though, the University of Minnesota appears to have no idea how to compete in major college athletics.

http://www.startribune.com/souhan-with-amateurs-at-the-helm-gophers-athletics-in-disarray/371011811/

Go Gophers!!

per Souhan:

Minnesota’s athletic department is in disrepair, especially in positions of power, where key decisions are made and examples are set.

Kaler, Goetz, Claeys and Pitino will have to prove they can operate in the world of major-conference sports. Stollings has failed to capitalize on Banham’s greatness. Lucia is not what he once was, and neither is his program.

Claeys will have the opportunity to prove he can coach at this level, and Pitino likely will be given a chance to coach a promising recruiting class. There is always hope in college sports.

At the moment, though, the University of Minnesota appears to have no idea how to compete in major college athletics.

http://www.startribune.com/souhan-with-amateurs-at-the-helm-gophers-athletics-in-disarray/371011811/

Go Gophers!!

It is so stunning what experts sports writers are. These are the same people that when sports teams are winning that the winning is all about the money, favoritism, the expense of education, etc. I myself look at what is going on and think there is a bright future. Let's see, a new football stadium was recently built. A new practice facility is coming. Hockey is a healthy sport and successful, football is improving, and basketball looks very bright starting next year. I don't know the other sports.

Inexperience is certainly a fair enough talking point. Just as Souhan was once inexperienced himself. He has just forgotten that sometimes 'life' happens and the best laid plans.... Pitino and his struggles will make him a better man and whether he survives the UM I believe he will have a strong and successful coaching career here or somewhere else.

Souhan is certainly an amateur when the topic is college basketball.

"Bigelow Column: With amateurs at the helm, Star Tribune in disarray"

See what I did there? :cool:

Souhan is certainly an amateur when the topic is college basketball.

Cmon...remember when he called out Chris Mack and Xavier?

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2010/3/22/1383472/adventures-in-atrocious-mainstream

You're welcome. I know that you don't have the force of personality of coaching chops to inspire your players by talking to them about, you know, playing in the NCAA tournament in front of millions of fans, trying to bring glory to your school and perhaps even improving your fugure (sic) career options. Nope, you need a guy writing about your opponent to rally your players.

Obviously, they don't listen to you, or you might have been able to inspire them by asking them to win one for you, the first-year, overmatched coach. So you needed a newspaper columnist to do your job for you.

I will expect you to send me your paycheck for the week for handling your job for you. I hope there's a columnist in PIttsburgh (sic) who can help you this weekend. More likely, Jamie Dixon, a real coach who actually motivates his players all by himself, will eat you alive. Maybe some day you'll be big-time enough to do your own work.

------------
Xavier 71, Pittsburgh 68 - 2010 NCAA Second Round

6 years later: 24-5; ranked #5 in the country

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2010/3/22/1383472/adventures-in-atrocious-mainstream

You're welcome. I know that you don't have the force of personality of coaching chops to inspire your players by talking to them about, you know, playing in the NCAA tournament in front of millions of fans, trying to bring glory to your school and perhaps even improving your fugure (sic) career options. Nope, you need a guy writing about your opponent to rally your players.

Obviously, they don't listen to you, or you might have been able to inspire them by asking them to win one for you, the first-year, overmatched coach. So you needed a newspaper columnist to do your job for you.

I will expect you to send me your paycheck for the week for handling your job for you. I hope there's a columnist in PIttsburgh (sic) who can help you this weekend. More likely, Jamie Dixon, a real coach who actually motivates his players all by himself, will eat you alive. Maybe some day you'll be big-time enough to do your own work.

------------

Holy cow.

That's terrible. How is someone employed after that?

I'd argue thats more embarrassing to an employer than posting a sex tape to Youtube... Well maybe Soupcan's sex tape would be more embarrassing, but you get the point.

------------

That's the one. And I believe he referred to Mack as Baldy McWimperson? Such childish behavior, and this after it was proven he knew absolutely nothing about college basketball. Instead of acknowledging he was wrong and laying low after making a fool of himself, he chose to escalate it by responding to Mack. Have had no respect for Souhan since he wrote that column, and certainly since then anything he's written about college hoops (or anything, for that matter) I give zero credence.

Top Bottom