Souhan: As Minnesota's postseason slump continues, a reminder that P.J. Fleck is getting the job done

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Souhan:

I've nitpicked Fleck's oratorical style and criticized him for working so hard to denigrate his predecessors, but, let's be honest, few college football coaches are endearing.

College football coaches are hired to win games, sell tickets and avoid (getting caught committing) recruiting violations. Winning bowl games is both rewarding for the current members of the program and useful in attracting new recruits.

Like him or mute him, Fleck is doing the job.

This season, Fleck's program will feature one of the nation's best backs in Mohamed Ibrahim. If the coaching staff can get quarterback Tanner Morgan to revert to his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl, one Minnesotans will be justified in viewing with an alien but earned optimism.

Go Gophers!!

Per Souhan:

I've nitpicked Fleck's oratorical style and criticized him for working so hard to denigrate his predecessors, but, let's be honest, few college football coaches are endearing.

College football coaches are hired to win games, sell tickets and avoid (getting caught committing) recruiting violations. Winning bowl games is both rewarding for the current members of the program and useful in attracting new recruits.

Like him or mute him, Fleck is doing the job.

This season, Fleck's program will feature one of the nation's best backs in Mohamed Ibrahim. If the coaching staff can get quarterback Tanner Morgan to revert to his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl, one Minnesotans will be justified in viewing with an alien but earned optimism.

Go Gophers!!
Is that positivity from the MN media??

Positivity? In a back-handed sort of way. Souhan doesn't know how to be positive. Not in his DNA.
I complain about PJ's over the top stuff sometimes, and I think GH as a whole is very thin skinned. That said, you are wrong on this one. Jim is acknowledging PJ's success as a coach. Lots of teams in town are a stinking pile of stinking stink but not Gopher Football.

I complain about PJ's over the top stuff sometimes, and I think GH as a whole is very thin skinned. That said, you are wrong on this one. Jim is acknowledging PJ's success as a coach. Lots of teams in town are a stinking pile of stinking stink but not Gopher Football.
I had to laugh at this. Something Nebraska wishes it could say. "At least we're not a stinking pile of stinking stink". Sorry I had to Nebraskatize the thread, but it is funny.

Honestly though it is nice to get a little positivity. Need more of it from more sources.

MN needs a team to overachieve. Residents really seemed delighted in 2019. Particularly after that Penn State game.

I had to laugh at this. Something Nebraska wishes it could say. "At least we're not a stinking pile of stinking stink". Sorry I had to Nebraskatize the thread, but it is funny.

Honestly though it is nice to get a little positivity. Need more of it from more sources.
Is Souhan coming over from the dark side?

He must be very physically fit.

Row the boat Jim!

The internet will make an insult out of everything.

"is this about X" is a constant refrain.

Having said that Jim's flavor of smarmy has long been all over the map to the point that I long since gave up on reading him / I don't blame anyone for not being sure what he's trying to say.

Yeah with the Wild (and Timberwolves (although they made a lot of progress)) falling the topic has come up.

It is nice to note that PJ has one of the few teams that gets the big wins that we don't usually see when needed and so on.

4 "paragraphs" consisting of 6 sentences.

"I've nitpicked...criticized...working so hard to denigrate his predecessors...few college football coaches are endearing.

...avoid (getting caught committing) recruiting violations.

...his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl [uhm...Jimmy, the 2021 vintage of Morgan went 9-4, played in, and won a bowl game]

...playing in another bowl, one Minnesotans will be justified in viewing with an alien but earned optimism. [You know, Minnesotans, not me, but the unwashed masses have my blessing to enjoy "optimism"]

And people are viewing this as positivity for the Gopher program?

What a hack.

I appreciate the fact that our last 5 bowl game parties have resulted in a win. Good friends, good food, good drink and a Gopher victory! It's a great way to end our Gopher football season.
Especially considering we had a different streak going for a while ... that results is a different streak. Very nice.

4 "paragraphs" consisting of 6 sentences.

"I've nitpicked...criticized...working so hard to denigrate his predecessors...few college football coaches are endearing.

...avoid (getting caught committing) recruiting violations.

...his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl [uhm...Jimmy, the 2021 vintage of Morgan went 9-4, played in, and won a bowl game]

...playing in another bowl, one Minnesotans will be justified in viewing with an alien but earned optimism. [You know, Minnesotans, not me, but the unwashed masses have my blessing to enjoy "optimism"]

And people are viewing this as positivity for the Gopher program?

What a hack.
You agree there's a big difference between 2019 and 2021, right? As high as #8 in the nation, finishing #10.

You agree there's a big difference between 2019 and 2021, right? As high as #8 in the nation, finishing #10.
No. He wrote:
“If the coaching staff can get quarterback Tanner Morgan to revert to his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl…”
Last year showed that he did not have to play as well as he did in 2019 to reach a bowl game.

No. He wrote:
“If the coaching staff can get quarterback Tanner Morgan to revert to his 2019 form, the Gophers will be playing in another bowl…”
Last year showed that he did not have to play as well as he did in 2019 to reach a bowl game.
You may be one of few who don't think 2019 was different than 2021.That's not the whole sentence from the article either.

No. He wrote:
I think he was indicating they would play in a meaningful NYE6 bowl

Top Bottom