Sooooooo, absolutely nothing good to take from this one?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Gotta love the doom and gloom. This sucks, that sucks, coach sucks, etc.

Nobody saw anything promising? Here's some things I saw, particularly after looking at the box score:

> The Gophers dominated the glass (did I just say that?). When was the last time you could say the Gophers dominated the boards against a RANKED Big Ten opponent?

> The Gophers dominated points in the paint. Again, can't recall the last time you could say that against a BT opponent of any salt.

> Held Illinois (a good shooting team) to 42% from the field on their home floor and just 50 shot attempts overall.

I'm just alarmed at how the Gophers are turning the ball over, plain and simple. They shot the ball like sh!t but we all knew (okay, apparently not ALL of us) they couldn't shoot it worth a crap. This is not a surprise.

But the turnovers are just indefensible. Nolen and Westbrook each with 4 TO's? Sure, the announcers love to rave about the Illinois on-the-ball defense but most of the Gophers TO's were just plain being careless with the basketball. Tough to blame coaching on that one (although I'm sure some will find a way).

The turnovers lately from the most "experienced" ball handlers on the roster are just unacceptable at this stage of the season. Other than that, there were some pretty promising things out there. Dominating the paint area with a couple of true freshmen for the most part is a very good sign, sign of great things to come. Fans bitched about not getting the ball inside, now they're getting it inside more.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers... that about sums it up. Not that difficult to figure out.

Top Bottom