Something to remember

MinnMarchDTF

Musical Magician
Reaction score
Some people are kind of down that this class appears less stellar than last years class, perhaps because we have 3 4 stars as opposed to 7 last year. However, upon further inspection:

2008 4 stars:
Marquis Gray- Didn't play due to academics
Keanon Cooper- Redshirted
Brandon Green- Played
Vincent Hill- went elsewhere
Sam Maresh- didn't play due to health
David Pittman- injured pretty much all year
Traye Simmons- played

So we essentially had 2 four stars playing this year and still had a 6 win improvement. And if we add the players who were redshirted/didn't play/injured to this years class, that would make us have 7 4 stars coming in next year. So I think that people shouldn't get all worked up about the amount of 4 stars that we have. And also remember we have a lot of "high" three stars coming in. I think this is a solid class. And I think we should all stop complaining about the players we didn't get and celebrate the players we are getting.

I'm probably going to get thrashed by saying this, but that's what I think.

I agree. In my opinion next years class will be the most important class in decades. You will have all these highly talented kids from the last 2 years with playing time and been coached up hopefully. Should be our most talented team in years (not sure the wins will be there cuz of sched) for kids to come and see that kids do like to play/live in this cold state. The BIGGEST thing tho being the sight of the newest nicest college football stadium built in a very long time as a recruiting tool. I'm sure if you asked Brew if it has helped this year with "the tour" he would say of course, imagine when 4 and 5* kids come and see it on gameday!

we have SOLID 3 stars this year. Apilate plays in the UA allstar game, we beat out FL OSU and OU for Hageman's services (those other offers show hes probably more than a 3 star), Campion probably doesn't get all the respect he deserves as he is from a remote area, Allen looks like one of the better athletes we've had come in here in a long time.... etc etc. Our class is better than ratings show.

I am very happy with the class as well. We need to look at all of the kids that are going to be joining the program this fall. There is a lot of talent coming in!

Something else to remember, this is the 2nd best class that I can recall the Gophers pulling in and I've been following UM football for about 30 years now. This is not a bad class by any stretch.

Sonny & MinnMarch, very important posts. Next years incoming class is much, MUCH better than it shows on paper. In particular the offensive line, receivers and RB's should be a world better and the DB's will be improved. Still a bit worried about the D line. But if offense is as improved as I think it will be a lot of pressure comes off the D line.

Pass the kool aide, please.

I think people are upset because the vast majority of news involving Gopher football has been bad news since the team was 7-1. This past week we looked terrible in our bowl game then lost out on two big time recruits on Saturday. A number of posters also thought we had a great shot at Lewan and Leon who both committed to other schools recently and play positions of great need for this team. We also lost out on Jeremy Gainer to a late offer from Michigan State.

I would be interested to know what exactly happened with Michael Carter as the Rivals "expert" Farrell had him pegged as a Minnesota verbal earlier in the week, then changed him to West Virginia on Thursday or Friday. Was Carter planning on Minnesota at one point and had a change of heart? Or was the "expert" just flat out wrong? As for McNeal, during the Wisconsin game the announcers mentioned something about Minnesota closing the borders in recruiting and how Brewster had received commitments from every in state player he offered except one and Brewster said he felt good about landing that one too. So was Bryce really a Minnesota lean at one point? Or was Brewster just blowing smoke? His GopherHole interview sure made it seem like the Gophers were never really in it.

This is still a solid recruiting class (and a very good one compared to other Gopher classes in my lifetime), and I hope it becomes an even better class by signing day.

Agreed. I think this year's class is every bit as good as last year's because it seems to have more depth. That is without even considering Gray, Maresh and Reeves.

Top Bottom