Some Things Change, Some Things Stay the Same

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
With one week to go until Gopher football, I wanted to share my thoughts on what I hope continues from last year and what I hope changes, and then solicit others to do the same. Here is what I came up with.

Stay the Same

1. Win the ones we are in With the exception of the bowl game, I didn't feel like we let any games slip away last year. Every time we were in a game and it was a dog fight, we managed to come out on top. Our only four regular season losses were games where we got beat like a rented mule. We managed to make some of them look close, but I didn't really feel like we had any business losing those. This was a nice development, because in the past it seemed like this program could find a way to seize defeat from the jaws of victory, but especially against NU and Indiana, we pulled through when the game was on the line.

2. Motion and creativity I loved the way we used our tight ends and created motion and confusion, especially in the Nebraska game. I'd like to see that continue.

3Run the ball This was obviously a strength, lets keep that up.

Needs to Change

1. Hit the conference season a full steam Both of the last two years, we came out of a weak out of conference schedule unscathed at 4-0. Both times, we looked totally flat and unprepared when the B1G season starts. This team needs to find a way to be ready to go from the opening kickoff when we start playing the big boys. Hopefully, an out of conference game against TCU will help, but I also want to see us ready to go for that game.

2. Trust the QB at the end of the half We need to stop leaving meat on the bone when we have the ball, timeouts, and a chance to score at the half. I'd like to see us draw up some pass plays and be a little aggressive. Obviously no stupid throws that risk interceptions, but we should be able to have the receivers run some routes, let Mitch roll out and make a decision, hit an open man if there is one, and if necessary just slide it out and let the clock run.

3. Show up against good defenses Our offense looked totally shut down whenever we played the elite defenses in conference. Obviously, its tougher to move the ball and score against a better defense, but those defenses seemed to neuter us even more than they did other teams. We have to find a way to do some damage because B1G has some good defenses.

Stay the Same
1. Aggressive play on D When you blitz make it count. Corners and safeties all over their guys when playing man. Going after the ball.
2. Win the close one as stated above.
3. Keep the Brick by Brick mentality This team is believing they are a family and they will only be successful brick by brick. Keep that going.

Needs to Change
1. Air it out I was watching the 2009 MSU Halloween game and everyone says how much fun that game was. They were not afraid to air it out and gain major yardage. That was fun to watch and effective. IF our receivers can get separation I would hope ML can see it and get that ball down field.
2. More fans in the stands Yes winning helps this. I was looking online at the ticket map from Gophersports and almost all of the temporary bleachers are sold out. Only major areas of open seats are in the corners and above student section. Hopefully the U can find a way to get the butts in the seats.
3. Trophies Where They Belong We have the Bell, now we need to get the Jug, Axe, and Pig. It would be an amazing year to have all 4 in MN. I am confident we will bring one of the three home, 2 would be wonderful, all three and the will build a statue of Jerry next to Goldy outside Coffman.

Stay the same
1. Commitment to the run game: A general theme this offseason was how we need to throw the ball better. I would agree. What I don't necessarily agree with is needing to throw the ball more. Our offensive identity needs to continue to be grinding it out all game and wearing down defenses. When we need to pass, just be more efficient.
2. Maxx: Towards the end of the year we started seeing more fades to Maxx Williams and they were generally successful. He's too big for defensive backs and too athletic for linebackers. When Maxx is single-covered, throw it up to the big guy and let him make a play.
3. Keep being easy to root for: Jerry Kill and his staff have instilled a culture within this program that preaches hard work on and off the field, to play incredibly hard, and to keep your nose clean. We've seen that attitude pay off throughout all aspects of a student athlete and it makes it really easy and fun to root for this team. Their team chemistry is outstanding. I have no reason to believe that won't be the case this season.

Needs to Change
1. Passing game efficiency: This is an obvious one. As I mentioned above, I'd like to see our pass game become more efficient when we do decide to air it out. No more over/under-throwing wide open receivers and taking unnecessary sacks. If Leidner and/or the other QB's can just hit open WR's, throw the ball away when under pressure, and take care of the football we will be a much improved team.
2. Crank up the pass rush: Not many people realize we were only 10th in the conference in sacks last season. Cockran is a proven pass rusher, will anyone else step up?
3. Stand our ground against Wisconsin and Iowa: Two years in a row Iowa and Mark Weisman have made it look easy to gain yards against our front 7 in the run game. Our run D was pretty solid against Wisconsin last year but the key to beating them is containing that running game. Hopefully the added bulk in the LB corps helps. If we can be stout against the run I like our chances in getting one or both of the pig and the axe back.

Good stuff, guys. I just have one:

Needs to Change

Can we win a game under Kill where we're trailing at the half? It hasn't happened yet and it's making me superstitious. I'd like to get one under our belts.

Good stuff, guys. I just have one:

Needs to Change

Can we win a game under Kill where we're trailing at the half? It hasn't happened yet and it's making me superstitious. I'd like to get one under our belts.

Not this year...we will never be trailing.

My #1 wish for the season is for the Gophs to be in every game. I am NOT predicting 12-0. I just want to see the Gophs give themselves a chance to win against the "better" teams - keep the game close enough to at least be interesting in the 4th quarter. When the game is close, anything can happen - turnovers, penalties, funny bounces. I guess I want the Gophers to win the 4th quarter - and if Smiling Glen happens to be doing color, to show him what it looks like when a team knows how to finish a game.

Top Bottom