Some stats with and without Trevor

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Not sure why I did this, bored I guess, nor what it all means but here goes.

With TM/without TM

Opposing teams FG %: 43.5% to 35.3%
Opposing teams FGA: 52 to 51
Gopher FGA/game: 53 to 46
FG %: 48.6% to 48.9%
Gopher FTA/game: 27 to 14
FT %: 69.6% to 72.1%
PTs scored: 75 to 61
Pts allowed: 64.3 to 50.3
Rebounds game: 41 to 33
Opposing Rebounds game: 33 to 29
Assists/game: 14.5 to 17
Turnovers: 15.7 to 12
Blocks/game: 5.6 to 5.6 (added in later)

I am guessing our blocked shots/game are down w/o Trevor and we will miss him during the BIG games at the FT line and on the boards. The obvious.

Thus far the team has handled the ball better except for the USC game and are doing a better job looking for the open man (assists).

That's interesting stuff to look at. Some good, some bad. I like that the opponents' FG% is down to 35%, and that our turnovers are way down. Now if we can just stop teams from making a bunch of 3's (seemingly) every game.

Now if we can just stop teams from making a bunch of 3's (seemingly) every game.

It's always seemed to me it isn't an issue of limiting our opponents threes but being unable to match them, at least to a point anyway.

As long as the Gophers keep winning...the stats are meaningless to me.

Interesting stats would be the points per possession for and against and effective field goal percentages. Overall offensively we are 5th in the Big 10, Defensively, we are near the bottom of the Big 10 in both of those categories.

I haven't been able to watch much Wisconsin Basketball yet this year outside of the Marquette game, but they have ridiculously good defensive efficiency numbers this year. They aren't an overly athletic team, so their team defense must be outstanding.

*edit* Looking closer at their schedule, the first 5 teams they played had some of the worst offensive teams in the country. So the numbers may be a bit skewed.

*edit* Looking closer at their schedule, the first 5 teams they played had some of the worst offensive teams in the country. So the numbers may be a bit skewed.

I think this is partly the case, and the fact that it is difficult to even reasonably 1 individuals worth by comparing such team statistics since they were accumulated against different opponents, and different players were in and out of the lineup based on matchups, foul trouble, fatigue, etc.

Still, it is interesting to look at. The one thing that strikes me as weird is that although our rebounds/game went down substantially (41 to 33 per game) post-Trevor, so did our opponents (31 down to 29 per game) while opponents FG % dropped substantially and ours remained about the same. With a greater % of missed shots, you'd think our rebounding would not have taken such a hit.

I think this is partly the case, and the fact that it is difficult to even reasonably 1 individuals worth by comparing such team statistics since they were accumulated against different opponents, and different players were in and out of the lineup based on matchups, foul trouble, fatigue, etc.

Still, it is interesting to look at. The one thing that strikes me as weird is that although our rebounds/game went down substantially (41 to 33 per game) post-Trevor, so did our opponents (31 down to 29 per game) while opponents FG % dropped substantially and ours remained about the same. With a greater % of missed shots, you'd think our rebounding would not have taken such a hit.

Rebounding margin must die.

What really struck me was that our FGA + FTA dropped from 80 to 60, or better yet our FGA + (FTA/2), which more closely approximates possessions, dropped from 67 to 53. So we are playing at a substantially slower pace, which at first glance is counter-intuitive.

My guess would be we are getting fewer offensive rebounds. If you are rebounding your own misses it pads the total rebound column, lowers your shooting % and has the potential for more free throws.

Our defensve rebounding is down. Our offensive rebounding is roughly the same. Percentagewise of course.

stats

When Trevor was in there teams were sagging and helping and clogging the lane. If we were a really good 3pt shooting team we could have made them pay.

With Trevor out, the lane is more open. Teams are playing us man defense, thanks everyone, and we have driving lanes.

By necessity we have amped up the pressure and quickness on defense also. All great adjustments.

By necessity we have amped up the pressure and quickness on defense also. All great adjustments.

Absolutely agree with this. Tubby has had the team seemingly recommit themselves to providing increased pressure. If only we could translate that into lowered 3pt FG %s...

Top Bottom