Some Observations (Feedback Desired)

DoubleAlum

Reaction score
1. It seems to me that when we run play-action, we are most often doing so out of a formation that doesn't resemble the formation we use most often when we run. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? I don't think opposing defenses are fooled at all by our play-action and the fact we rarely have a wide open receiver kinda reinforces that. We tip our hand and the defense knows what's coming;

2. It seems to me that in the first two games we have had very little pressure on the other teams' QB. On the other hand, we seem to stop the run pretty well. Is our D-line below average in pass rushing?

3. I can't recall our o-line opening up a single hole all day against CSU. Whenever we gained yards on the ground, it looked as if Smith saw the hole was closed and bounced somewhere else. Did CSU man-handle our o-line?

4. I realize everyone is enamored with our defensive back-field and that we have several guys who will go Pro. I do see them breaking up long passes often and that is beautiful. But correct me if i'm wrong here, between the TCU and CSU games, their qb's missed 5 wide open receivers for TD's. It seems to me that although our players are great back there, we are very susceptible to getting beat deep down field. Is that just par for the course for every back field, or do you agree we've been very lucky. We could've been blown out of both games had they hit those passes. Also, perhaps this is more a function of not having a strong pass rush;

Very interested in your feedback.

By the way, in my opinion, if we played Michigan, NW, ILL, Indiana, Iowa, Neb and Wisky tomorrow, I think we'd get beat.

Your point about wide open receivers is a good one. We lucked out. Our O-line was manhandled - they stuffed our running game in the first half. Only when the running game finally got wheels, did the passing game click. We need Tommy Armstrong at QB.

Your point about wide open receivers is a good one. We lucked out. Our O-line was manhandled - they stuffed our running game in the first half. Only when the running game finally got wheels, did the passing game click. We need Tommy Armstrong at QB.

I'm not so sure of that. Certainly a few were open, but in at least one instance it appeared that the defender had forced the receiver off his route and he became open, but not to where the pass was going.

In my world play action, comes from the ability to run the ball. It is intended to counter the linebackers and a safety filling the box to stop the run. The throw is post, a deep dig, a tight end cross. Its an eighteen to 25 yard throw. If you cannot run the ball, play action is worthless. As to keys, the plan could be not to show to much in the early games. The best use of play action requires a pounding running game.

I'm not so sure of that. Certainly a few were open, but in at least one instance it appeared that the defender had forced the receiver off his route and he became open, but not to where the pass was going.

This. The coaches probably figured they weren't good at those passes and focused their attention on stopping what was likely to burn them.

Top Bottom