SOCIAL MEDIA IN SPORTS

stevenmgr

Reaction score
By Jason Gonzalez: Minneapolis Star Tribune:

A sign on the locker room doors at Bloomington Jefferson jumped out at Tom Dasovich. Big, bold, underlined words, in all capital letters, some of them underlined for emphasis:

"Treat every conversation you have on TWITTER or FACEBOOK as if it were a NATIONALLY TELEVISED PRESS CONFERENCE."

The Minnetonka boys' basketball coach spotted the note during his team's recent visit and snapped a picture on his phone. Then he posted it on Twitter with the message "Players take note." Nearly half of his 173 followers retweeted or favorited the message.

Check out the link below for the full report.

http://stevenssports.blogspot.com/2012/12/social-media-in-high-school-sports.html

I think that high school and college athletes have to be vary careful about what they post on line, because they don't want to get into trouble.

You're absolutely right. Athletes probably need to be even more careful because of their "celebrity" status. But I think this can go for anyone. It amazes me what people put on social media. Even well known people in the community post some pretty ridiculous stuff sometimes.

Look at the lady who posted a picture of herself giving the middle finger to the sign at Arlington Cemetery. I believe her that she didn't mean any disrespect. But to be so stupid to not even think that people would react the way they did. She deserved to be fired just because she's so dumb.

When wondering whether something should be posted on social media (this goes double for athletes because there are a lot of interested fans already following what they say), people should follow:
1) Don't be stupid
2) If you have to ask whether or not its stupid, its stupid

Top Bottom