so who thought high point was going to beat purdue last night?

supadupafly

Reaction score
really thought they were going to drain the 3 at the buzzer to beat purdue by 1. robbie hummel missing both free throws just before high point's last drive down the court sure was surprising to see and allowed for the chance.

and here all the consternation and hand-wringing about our boys only beating some of those other similar teams (i.e. similar to high point) by 10-12pts. it is still very early in the season, which is the same reason you saw such a game from purdue as well. it is early. :rolleyes:

With media today, all the online blogs and continous media coverage, everything has to be right now. The team has to be good now! Freshman should be great right now. We should be beating these teams by 20. Many times it doesn't work that way. Some teams take awhile to find their stride.

IF Mbawke and Sampson stay healthy this team will be noticeably better by the end of the year. They are so young and inexperienced right now that I expect the difference to be very pronounced.

Ryne Smith 8-15 on 3 pointers.

Can someone remind me why Purdue is ahead of us in every poll? I know it's only one game but I just don't see a lot of talent.

Purdue looked TERRIBLE last night, and deserved to lose, but luckily Ryne Smith was money from three. Side note but Smith has to be the best pure shooter in the B1G year with Diebler and Hoff gone. High Point exposed from major weaknesses that Purdue has but luckily Purdue has time to get those corrected and many of those things are correctable, primarily a lack of effective zone offense. By the end of the year Coach Painter will have this team where it needs to be.

As for the talent issue I agree with you to some extent, Purdue still has Robbie Hummel who has been a star for 3 years and surrounding him are terrific bunch of role players. Lewis Jackson is a very very solid but not outstanding B1G PG(is there any Gopher fan who wouldn't take him as their PG? Didn't think so.) Anthony Johnson is going to be a player, Kelsey Barlow could have been/still be an All B1G player but lacks the attitude required. Ryne Smith is the best pure shooter in the B1G, Jacob Lawson is an athletic freak. Terone Johnson has shown what he can do last year, DJ Byrd is solid, Carroll has hopefully developed into a legit big man along with Marcius.

Is this team as talented as last year-no not even close, is this team a fringe Top 25 team, absolutely. But really when you think about it if you replace Robbie Hummel with Sampson/Mbakwe how much different are the Gophers than the Boilers?

gophers vs purdue

. But really when you think about it if you replace Robbie Hummel with Sampson/Mbakwe how much different are the Gophers than the Boilers?

I have made this comparison other places. I'd say Trevor for Hummel. I am not ripping on Tubby but Painters teams have played more consistent defense and the team seems to know its roles better. I think both teams will have trouble scoring at times.

I have made this comparison other places. I'd say Trevor for Hummel. I am not ripping on Tubby but Painters teams have played more consistent defense and the team seems to know its roles better. I think both teams will have trouble scoring at times.

Over the past 3 games Purdue has REALLY REALLY struggled on defense but have been able to score in bunches(although they can't hit a FT). Not that I'm complaining about wins but Painter needs to get this team back to playing Purdue basketball, lock down D, doing the little things, playing as a team on offense, etc.

Interesting. I hadn't seen them play this year just talking on past experiences. They might have more trouble scoring once the big ten rolls around. Loosing johnson and Moore is tough.

Interesting. I hadn't seen them play this year just talking on past experiences. They might have more trouble scoring once the big ten rolls around. Loosing johnson and Moore is tough.

Unless a team can recruit like UNC, Duke, Kentucky there are very few programs that can constantly win at the level Purdue has the past 3 to 4 years. Losing two First Team All Big Ten players, both of who have been on the list multiple times is a huge blow to any team.

Top Bottom