So when do the transfers get announced?

John Galt

Reaction score
With the addition of Antonio Johnson, I believe we are at 24 commits total. With all of the recruits visiting, it seems that we are planning to sign at least 26-27 players. I believe we had 16 seniors graduate, and we are able to count back 3 scholarships to 2011. This means there has to be a minimum of 7-8 players leaving the program to make the numbers work. JD Pride was one of them, who are the others and when will learn about it. After finals? Also, is it possible we picked up some scholarships due to medical hardships with Xzavian Brandon and Brooks Michel?

I'm not sure where are numbers are at, but we will pick up more available spots because of Brandon and Michel.

Some will come after finals, some might come in earlier and some later. I know it's not really reassuring but just sit tight and it will sort itself out.

I half suspect that Kill will hold of signing releases until after finals. That is way they stay eligible for academic assistance, if he signs the release, that ends the Athletic Departments assistance. J.D. Pride may not of needed any assistance so he got the signiture early.

I was away for a while. Do we know for sure that X Brandon and B Michel (Michels?) are out of football due to injury?

I was away for a while. Do we know for sure that X Brandon and B Michel (Michels?) are out of football due to injury?
There are privacy issues involved but it's a better than 95% chance for each.

I read a retweet from someone where X said that he would be playing ball next year but not for MN.

There is usually no blanket announcement. This isn't a gameshow. Some kids just transfer because a scholarship is not renewed (rare, but we'll see what happens). Some kids ask for a release. Some kids don't qualify academically. That won't happen until after finals are toted up, maybe early January (maybe late December).

I would suspect that some of the 2012 "commitments" are not legit as well...

I'm not sure where are numbers are at, but we will pick up more available spots because of Brandon and Michel.

Some will come after finals, some might come in earlier and some later. I know it's not really reassuring but just sit tight and it will sort itself out.

That is the one thing I have learned over the years the numbers always seem to work themselves out in the end. The coaches know how many spots they have to work with, the info won't be made public but behind the scenes they know.

You can find 5-6 pretty obvious candidates if you look at the scholarship grid on FBT.
I don't want to diminish these young men and their original commitment to the U, but there were young players who didn't get any PT at some pretty desperately thin positions. Doesn't mean they will transfer, but they are good candidates if they aren't playing.

As for the commitments, there have to be a few that aren't true, or aren't going to qualify and the coaches know it.

The one thing with the scholarship numbers, backcounting, and who will transfer etc is that the coaches have a plan. Even Brewster's staff had this stuff figured out to a certain degree. Kill knows who is for sure coming, who's wavering, who's struggling to qualify, who's got conditional offers, who will grayshirt, and who will be here in Jan.

It will all get clearer as we get closer to signing day, likely we'll bring in a bunch of guys including some grayshirts and walk ons. Kill said he'd like 35 total.

one position that shows how frustrating some of the players can be is DB. If I remember the year correctly, they were starting and playing players who converted from other positions over those who were recruited DB. Then look at all the DBs they have already committed this year...gotta say something. Kill and comp hit DBs and LBs hard this year.

That is the one thing I have learned over the years the numbers always seem to work themselves out in the end. The coaches know how many spots they have to work with, the info won't be made public but behind the scenes they know.

Yes. I don't know why, but it drives me nuts to see fans of the program/school keeping a tally on the number of schollies we 'supposedly' have and try to pontificate on who's coming and who's leaving, etc.

Chill out, coaches know what they are doing, they have insider information. Trust them to do their jobs.

Yes. I don't know why, but it drives me nuts to see fans of the program/school keeping a tally on the number of schollies we 'supposedly' have and try to pontificate on who's coming and who's leaving, etc.

Chill out, coaches know what they are doing, they have insider information. Trust them to do their jobs.

Isn't that what a fan message board is for? Should we just talk about the weather for 9 months?

Isn't that what a fan message board is for? Should we just talk about the weather for 9 months?[/QUOTE]

Yes, because it makes several of the GopherHole commentors look less stupid.

To get back at least partially on topic, it sure looks like, Coach Kill and Staff intend to fix the defensive backfield now, while still getting future players. We'll see how well it works out but I like the direction.

Isn't that what a fan message board is for? Should we just talk about the weather for 9 months?

I think his point is that there are way too many people on the boards that think they have it all figured out. That they know exactly how many guys we are going to sign or which guys are going to leave. The board is for speculation but especially when it comes to scholarship numbers there are a lot of people that spend way too much time worrying about the numbers. The coaches have a plan and they know how many spots they have to work with.

We have 9 months for pontificating on incoming recruits. But trying to figure out the number of schollies we have available and guesstimating on who'll be leaving the program that opens up more schollies is, in my opinion, kinda over the top and unnecessary. I'm not saying people SHOULDN'T do it. It just doesn't make sense to me, thus drives me nuts.

Last time I checked, this was a message board where we discuss all things Gophers. If I had it all figured out, there wouldn't have been a need to start this thread in the first place. The simple math tells us that there will be more than 5 players leaving the program in the next 6 weeks to make the numbers work for the incoming recruits. Pride announced last week that he's leaving, and I was simply wondering if more news will trickle out in that fashion, if there will be a press release from Coach Kill, and when it might happen. Speculating on the specific players who will be leaving is over the top, and I and every other poster on this thread refrained from it. Sorry if this caused offense....

I think his point is that there are way too many people on the boards that think they have it all figured out. That they know exactly how many guys we are going to sign or which guys are going to leave. The board is for speculation but especially when it comes to scholarship numbers there are a lot of people that spend way too much time worrying about the numbers. The coaches have a plan and they know how many spots they have to work with.

Imagine the ensuing chaos if we pick up another QB, or get another kicker/punter onboard.

I am going to spend the next 9 months pontificating about how many leather bound books you have.

I am going to spend the next 9 months pontificating about how many leather bound books you have.

lol Let me know what you come up with.

Imagine the ensuing chaos if we pick up another QB, or get another kicker/punter onboard.

Oh, the thoughts!!!

Last time I checked, this was a message board where we discuss all things Gophers. If I had it all figured out, there wouldn't have been a need to start this thread in the first place. The simple math tells us that there will be more than 5 players leaving the program in the next 6 weeks to make the numbers work for the incoming recruits. Pride announced last week that he's leaving, and I was simply wondering if more news will trickle out in that fashion, if there will be a press release from Coach Kill, and when it might happen. Speculating on the specific players who will be leaving is over the top, and I and every other poster on this thread refrained from it. Sorry if this caused offense....

No offense taken, I just can't wrap my head around why someone would really care about how many schollies he THINKS TheU has left to offer and rack his brain on figuring out how they will shake out. Again, I'm not trying to say or imply that y'all can't do as such, it just for some reason bugs me. I would rather speculate on how the incoming frosh will contribute, if at all, in the next season.

Tranfers aren't a big deal, everything should be settled by Jan 17th, when classes start any transfers, for football reasons, should be apparent. I do have some curiosity, about who, not how many. What amazes me more is that no one is talking about the JUCO December graduate signing day is in seven days. That's when the real numbers will start materializing.

...in my opinion, kinda over the top and unnecessary...

You call it "over the top and unnecessary".

I call it "better than watching the Vikings or folding laundry".

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my original comments. I wasn't even part of the pontificating. I just like reading about it! All good :)

Top Bottom