So what is the order of biggest sporting events next weekend?

anonymous

Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. Interesting weekend coming up.

We have Gophers-Badgers on Saturday. We have Twins-Royals in their final Metrodome series (and still an outside chance for the playoffs). And then there is Vikings-Packers on Monday night in what will be Favre's first game against his former team.

So if you were the sports editor of one of the papers in town, how would you rank them in terms of importance?

This will be one of the biggest weekends in recent memory in terms of Twin Cities sports. And I'm not even counting the Wild opener and the first game of a new, homegrown coach on the list.

My list:
1. Vikings
2. Twins
3. Gophers

Sadly I think the gophers get third billing no matter what. The only way they get more is if the other two have unfortunate outcomes and the Gopher alone are victorius.

vikings/gophers tie. Twins come in very close 3rd....

Ah shoot, they all tie! what a huge weekend!

that is the bottom line gopher crazy. A great sports weekend here in Minn, that is if the Twins do there jobs and are still in it after their trip to Detroit.

This weekend is going to be sweet...but got to with..

1 vikings- monday night football, we're undefeated, it's against the pack, and favre is involved...hands down
2 twins-last game in the homerdome plus playoff chance?
3 gophers-great game, first big ten game in the bank plus badgers, but the other two are just that much better

Who are the Vikings and Twins?

It's hard to rank the order as of right now because a lot depends upon how the Twins fare in Detroit. If the Tigers take three of four or something similar, the series against the Royals won't matter, except for those who want to live up the dome memories. However, if the Twins win three of four or even split against the Tigers, there will be some miniscule hope of a playoff spot still floating around. We already know the storylines for the Vikings and Gophers next weekend. As for the Twins? We're kind of in wait-and-see mode.

Therefore, I would say:
1. Vikings
2. Twins
2a. Gophers

I don't know but what a great time to be a Minnesota sports fan and what a weekend coming up. I believe the Gopher hockey team and Wild have their openers this weekend too. Every Gopher and pro team is pretty darn good, except for the T-Wolves which I could care less about since I don't follow the NBA. Two new stadiums opening. What more could we ask for?

It isn't an insult to the Gophers at all. The Viking/Packer game is going to be the top National sports story. Brett Favre playing the Packers? Wow! The Twins are playing to get into the post season, playoffs on the line. Any other Twin's series and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Each team should have their own day. Twins should get the most attention for Friday and Sunday, Gophs get Sat. and Vikes get Monday.

Wild open at home no Tues. Should be a good weekend if you like Minnesota sports. Anybody want to do the research and see how much it would cost to attend the gophers on sat. Twins on Sun. Vikings on Mon. and Wild on Tues. If i had the money this would be a really fun weekend. All i can say is lets go Minnesota teams.

equal

A good editor makes all three equal and presents it that way.

No wonder Wisconsinites and Iowegians flock to the Twin Cities....what a nice weekend.
1. Gophers
2. Twins
3. Vikes -they still have 12 games after this one...not a must win game.
4. Wild

Don't forget the Twin Cities Marathon.
10,500+ (12,000 registered with 1,500 +/- DNS) marathon runners
6,500 10-mile runners
10,000 spectators ???

27,000 participants - bigger than a preseason Wild game in my book.

My ranking:

Friday: Twins and beer.
Saturday: (tie) Gophers and beer, Twins and beer.
Sunday: Twins and beer.
Monday: Vikings and beer.

I guess beer wins, hands down. :drink: :party: :rockon:

One of my buddies called me the other day saying he and some others are trying to go to the Twins game Friday night, Gophers Saturday, Twins Sunday, Vikings Monday, and Wild Tuesday. There will be a lot of beer drinking going on so we'll see if they make it. I can see them not making it to the Wild game after a full day of tailgating Monday. Wish I could be there but I'll be in New Orleans.

This (extended) weekend is non-stop Minnesota sports action.

Thurs - Announcement of 2016 Olympic site. If it's in Chicago, TCF will host some soccer matches.
Fri thru Sun - Twins v. Royals. Last (regular season) series at the Dome.
Sat - Gophers v. Badgers. Axe, axe, axe, axe, and oh yeah, axe. Need I say more?
Sun - Gophers v. British Columbia. It's an exhibition, but it's still in Mariucci, which is the #8 venue in college sports according to SI.
Mon - Vikes v. Packers. Favre v. Packers. Never thought I'd be writing that.
Tues - Wild v. Ducks. Home opener in the always sold out xCel. Also, new Minnesota coach through and through.

There is potential here for the best weekend ever. Of course, being a Minnesota sports fan, I have to bring up the fact that there's also potential for my heart to be in a million pieces by Wednesday.

Here's to Minnesota victories!

One of my buddies called me the other day saying he and some others are trying to go to the Twins game Friday night, Gophers Saturday, Twins Sunday, Vikings Monday, and Wild Tuesday. There will be a lot of beer drinking going on so we'll see if they make it. I can see them not making it to the Wild game after a full day of tailgating Monday. Wish I could be there but I'll be in New Orleans.

I'll be doing that, just sans the Wild game. Twins Friday/Sat/Sun, Gophers Saturday, Vikings Monday.

As much as I like the Twins, if you gave me only one of the local teams winning, i would take the Gophers over the Badgers in a heartbeat. I mean it's Wisconsin and all of those boorish jackasses in red! A Badger win could really get some momentum going while I think the Twins winning the division won't matter much. I can't see them doing anything in the playoffs with all of the holes they have.

Nationally, it's no contest where the attention will be focused. I do pay attention to the Vikings also but not as an avid fan: just for the fun of watching Adrian run and, of course, to follow the theater of Brett as a Viking. It'll be fun if he wins, but it could still turn pretty ugly and that might also be entertaining.

I agree, if I had to choose just one Minnesota victory this weekend, it'd be Gophers over Badgers. A complete sweep of the weekend would be positively euphoric. A complete losing weekend would spell out a two or three day bout of depression.

As long as the others are playing in the big blue studio, I could care less about anything but GOPHER FOOTBALL!

Per Stub Hub

Doing some research on Stub Hub I found that for 2 people to attend all of these events here is what broke down...
Thursday Olympic announcement = Free
Friday Twins game = $60 for 2 GA tickets
Saturday Gophers game = $280 for 2 tickets
Sunday Twins game = From $60 to $5000 for 2 tickets (we will go with $60 to be cheap)
Monday Vikings game = $220 for 2 tickets
Tuesday Wild Game = $100 for 2 tickets

Grand total minus parking, food, lack of work productivity for the week, and of course beer is $720 for two people to enjoy all of these events.

If Detroit and the Twins finish in a tie for the lead, where would the one-game playoff be held?

Twins fans will be saying a semi-fond farewell to the Dome, we just said good riddance to the Dome.

If Detroit and the Twins finish in a tie for the lead, where would the one-game playoff be held?

Twins fans will be saying a semi-fond farewell to the Dome, we just said good riddance to the Dome.

The rule was changed this year (thankfully) so that the winner of the head-to-head matchup over the course of the season hosts any potential tiebreakers.

Coming into today, the Twins lead the season series 9-5. They will almost certainly have to win 3 of 4 to tie the division, so if it comes to that, it will definitely be here.

The Vikings have already given a resounding "no" when asked if they would be willing to move the Oct. 5 game to Lambeau (and move the Nov. 1 game here) to accommodate a tiebreaker, so it will be interesting to see what will happen with regards to venue in that case. A Tuesday game maybe? Let's hope the Twins sweep the Tigers and Royals so it doesn't have to come to that.

Twins/Tigers would be Tuesday in Big Blue/White Bubble.....ALDS would start Wed. in New York.

Remember all those times the Gophers had to move football games to a different day, because the Twins had priority and wouldn't let us play a morning game that the Dome at the same day that the Twins had an evening playoff game? There would be a sort of karmic justice to the Twins having to play on Tuesday. I suppose they could play the game early on Monday if the Vikings allowed it.

Top Bottom