So the ESPN announcing crew was/is terrible...

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Beth Mowins, Anthony Becht, Rocky Boiman on the call. Becht has incorrectly called Rashad Still "Stills" all game. Constant praise/discussion of the Maryland QB about being a double-threat... but he's been awful all game. Constant discussion of other games, although I suspect that is at the request of their producers back in the truck and back at ESPN HQ in Bristol.

Overall an awful production and meaningless "analysis" throughout the game. Just my two cents.

1. It's ESPN
2. It's on ESPNU

Not sure what's worse...Them calling Smith and Brooks "slash and bash" or calling the Maryland QB "Piggy" ESPN's really outdone themselves with this crew.

I really appreciated hearing about how David Johnson has been the star of Beth Mowins' fantasy team.

Not sure what's worse...Them calling Smith and Brooks "slash and bash" or calling the Maryland QB "Piggy" ESPN's really outdone themselves with this crew.

If I am that quarterback I delete my DVR after about 3 minutes. I appreciate he has a nickname, but they are not his buddies or members of the MD student body and made no effort to actually refer to him by his real name after the starting lineups. Lazy in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beth Mowins, Anthony Becht, Rocky Boiman on the call. Becht has incorrectly called Rashad Still "Stills" all game. Constant praise/discussion of the Maryland QB about being a double-threat... but he's been awful all game. Constant discussion of other games, although I suspect that is at the request of their producers back in the truck and back at ESPN HQ in Bristol.

Overall an awful production and meaningless "analysis" throughout the game. Just my two cents.
You can stop at Beth Mowins.

We get what we deserve. When we stop sucking so much that we move from ESPN the Ocho to at least ESPN2, then we can b!tch about announcers. Until then, we get announcers from Aggievision.

Rocky Boiman is the worst man i've never heard a sideline reporter chime in on so much meaningless stuff

We get what we deserve. When we stop sucking so much that we move from ESPN the Ocho to at least ESPN2, then we can b!tch about announcers. Until then, we get announcers from Aggievision.

I get why we get them. I'm just surprised that they are so unprepared. They sound like they did about 10 minutes of prep.

And yet I'd rather listen to this crew on 24-hour loop than have to sit through Chuck Bell from the PSU game on BTN announcing again. Legitimately the worst announcer I've ever heard (and I sat through Mowins & Galloway several times). Just BRUTAL.

And yet I'd rather listen to this crew on 24-hour loop than have to sit through Chuck Bell from the PSU game on BTN announcing again. Legitimately the worst announcer I've ever heard (and I sat through Mowins & Galloway several times). Just BRUTAL.

I found Chuck Long to be rather enjoyable during the PSU game.

I don't have the problem with Beth Mowins that a lot of people seem to have. She has some voice volume/modulation issues, but she does her homework and at least pronounces most of the names correctly. I find most of the color commentary on college broadcasts to be below par. A bunch of ex-jocks who think they can look at the stat sheets, talk to the coaches on Friday, and know absolutely everything about both teams.

I don't have the problem with Beth Mowins that a lot of people seem to have. She has some voice volume/modulation issues, but she does her homework and at least pronounces most of the names correctly. I find most of the color commentary on college broadcasts to be below par. A bunch of ex-jocks who think they can look at the stat sheets, talk to the coaches on Friday, and know absolutely everything about both teams.

we might be an espnu level team right now, but that means your an espnu level announcer too

although not for rocky he's public enemy number one after his booger eating talk about showing us his thighs

we might be an espnu level team right now, but that means your an espnu level announcer too

although not for rocky he's public enemy number one after his booger eating talk about showing us his thighs

Jesus ****ing Christ. Go back to typing like you have a brain in your head.

ESPN is all in on the "bash & slash" nicknames.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So why IS there a world-wide shortage of sports announceres?

ESPN THE OCHO is so much better than ESPN U.

But yeah man it is annoying having some alright guys on BTN and getting all this low level ESPN stuff.

They are terrible. Period.
They have nicknamed the Gopher RB's as "Slaaaaaash and Baaaaaash". I have said the last 2 weeks that, while I think those nicknames are okay / appropriate / etc. , they carry absolutely NO WEIGHT because of these 2. I will never refer to Smith and Brooks as "Slaaaaaash and Baaaaaash" because of Beth Mowins and Anthony (former Fanntasy FB TE Backup#2) Becht.

Brooks doesn't like the names, so they should knock it off.

Beth "Cat Scratch" Mowins is hazardous to ones hearing.

I think what I dislike most about the 'slash and bash' thing is how manufactured it is. It's not like it started organically, it's all been just ESPN driving it. Stuff like All Day, Beastmode, The Bus or even Megatron are just nicknames that catch on.

So why IS there a world-wide shortage of sports announceres?

Nearly every d1 game is on a network owned by ESPN, CBS or Fox. Can't be all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, I don't get ESPNU on my cable system, so I was listening to Mike "The Ref" Grimm on the radio. According to Mike, Maryland should have been called for holding on every play of the game, and every penalty against the Gophers was a bad call. It just drives me nuts. Call the freakin' game and quit trying to be a referee. And, with all due respect to Darrell Thompson as a great player, he really doesn't add anything to the broadcast. So, the TV foofs may be annoying, but at least you get the replays, and you can always turn down the sound if you want to and still follow the game.

Top Bottom