So Minnesota loses it's best player...

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
...and becomes a better team? What? This can't be true. Well, since Mbakwe went down, the offense looks a lot more free-flowing and fluent. No pressure with high energy. Defense looks decent too and the younger guys are playing with more confidence. A couple weeks ago, I would have called you crazy if you would have said Minnesota would beat two teams from major conferences in five days without Mbakwe and Ralph...wow. This season could be fun.

Yes, this team could've folded like a cheap lawn chair after the Mbakwe injury but they were still favored to beat both VT and and an absolutely awful USC team and they were playing in the friendly confines of Williams Arena. If you want to be taken seriously as a B10 upper tier team these are games you simply must win. This should be business as usual in these parts and not worthy of a parade down University Ave....

Shot the 3 much better today, I'm concerned with turnovers though, have to clean that up before big ten play begins

Yes, this team could've folded like a cheap lawn chair after the Mbakwe injury but they were still favored to beat both VT and and an absolutely awful USC team and they were playing in the friendly confines of Williams Arena. If you want to be taken seriously as a B10 upper tier team these are games you simply must win. This should be business as usual in these parts and not worthy of a parade down University Ave....

Parade? When? I only saw a thread on gopher hole. Good to hear your input, fart.

Hey, I'm not complaining.

Looks like we could get through the non-conference schedule with 1 loss. Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but it looks like they're doing what needs to be done with the obvious exception of the championship game.

It's still a wildcard as to how they'll fare in conference games, though.

I'm still thinking about Rodney's 360! That may have been the dunk of the year so far in college hoops! Sooooo smooth!

Williams is finally living up to his potential, at least for a brief time.

The combination of having an extra shooter on the floor and having Eliason out there who moves the ball a little quicker/better than Ralph seems to be making a big difference in my opinion. Rodney also seems to be a lot more effective when he can play closer to the basket.

The combination of having an extra shooter on the floor and having Eliason out there who moves the ball a little quicker/better than Ralph seems to be making a big difference in my opinion. Rodney also seems to be a lot more effective when he can play closer to the basket.

+19

I think Welch is our leader and best player right now. Been very impressed with him the past two games. It's also nice to see Austin get his confidence shooting from the outside. Hopefully Mo and Ralph can get healthy to give us some depth down low.

How can anyone watch that game and say Tubby can't coach. The team is moving the ball around and breaking down the defense real well. Rodney has turned into a beast and the defense is playing good.

this version of the Gophers is more fun to watch. Aggressive defense, an active motion offense, the emergence of Elliot, Rodney and Julian stepping up, and Tubby being notably more engaged. If Andre and Oto can improve, we will do well all year.

Totally agree. I'm not as down on Ralph as some but I do like the way Eliason moves the ball. Finally we are getting Rodney off the 3 point line, which is where he needs to be. I'd like to see Tubby take away his 3pt license completely. Get him down on the blocks.

Not that anyone wanted to look at next year already, but .... looking at next year Trevor was going to be gone anyway so this does give an opportunity for Eliason and others to pick up a lot of experience they otherwise wouldn't be getting. Not much of a silver lining, but it's something.

this version of the Gophers is more fun to watch. Aggressive defense, an active motion offense, the emergence of Elliot, Rodney and Julian stepping up, and Tubby being notably more engaged. If Andre and Oto can improve, we will do well all year.
I'd just like to point out that the last time I brought up the Gophers playing motion offense I was told is is just street ball. Thankfully someone on here realizes it's not.

+100. Great post

Keeping Rodney closer to the basket has been a HUGE plus. Notice his rebound numbers the last two games.

If you were at the game, you didn't catch Eddie Johnson (BTN commentator) comment about Rodney after he hoisted up that 3-point attempt WAY too early in the shot clock. "That one was like 'I got to take a SHOT! Been a long time coming'", or something to that effect. Agree with another poster, Rodney should never heave up another 3 while he's playing for the Gophers.

I'm more of a Maverick fan than some but he got absolutely abused by the quick guard for USC, Jones. Back to back 3-pointers as soon as Maverick got in the game, he couldn't fight through screens, etc. It was painful.

Most impressive to me in the last two games: the assist totals. Against VT, assists on 17 of 24 made baskets; against USC, assists on 16 of 20 made baskets. That wasn't happening when the offense was "throw the ball into Trevor and hope good things happen". Much better ball movement.

This thread sums up my thoughts exactly. Lose 2 of the "big 3" and Rodney and the team all look better. I would say Rodney also appears to be coming out of his shell as a leader. Eliason's play ought to motivate Ralph. He is being shown up.

I don't think RSIII should be handed the starting job. Perhaps having to come off the bench and having to earn playing time will motivate him.

BigGopherFan said:
I don't think RSIII should be handed the starting job. Perhaps having to come off the bench and having to earn playing time will motivate him.

Have to agree. Again - the game will slow down in the paint with Ralph. Just too clumsy.

Top Bottom