So Many People on here are....

kuhlmanalex

Reaction score
Man; I am going to get torn apart on this one but I switched a few years back from KFAN's board because it seemed to me that the posts on here were more level headed and reasonable and that this board was more for actual fans and not just some rube that is trying to stir things up. But after a while of reading now this year I have noticed there are a lot of people on here that:

*Can not under any circumstance criticize the Gophers. Not only can they not criticize them but they are so quick to call the person that did the criticizing "Not a true fan."

*Can't see the forest through the trees. There was a thread on here after the Iowa game that said that Gopher fans should laugh in all the critics faces (paraphrasing). Ummmm...yeah but you do know that it makes you look stupid when you laugh in a critics face when you get your second win of the season right? I am stoked about the win and love that we beat Iowa but not sure we are in the position to be throwing stones.

*Are not accountable for what they say. I wish that there was a way that the mods could keep track of who likes Gray and who doesn't; who wants Shortell to start; who likes Kill and who doesn't; who thought that we had to win 5 games this year to be a success only to now be saying that we have to be patient; etc... I am not saying that you don't have the right to change your mind but I am saying that if coming into the year you said that we would be 5-7 or thereabouts you shouldn't be able to criticize those that are disappointed.

*I have touched on this one earlier, but for a fan base that is struggling I have never seen so many "true fans" try to kick fans off the wagon. If you read any critical thread on here, even if it is justifiably critical the instant reaction is go cheer for Iowa or we don't need you as a fan anyways. GOOD LORD QUIT BEING SO THIN SKINNED (TO SOME OF YOU)...YOU CAN STILL BE A FAN AND NOT BE BLIND TO REALITY. AT LEAST IF PEOPLE ARE CRITICIZING THEY ARE WATCHING OR AT THE VERY LEAST PAYING ATTENTION! APPATHY IS WHAT WE DON'T WANT! THIS ONE JUST DRIVES ME NUTS!

*For those of you that think its ridiculous and Un-Minnesotan to sell your tickets to the visiting team give me a break. Believe it or not there are people that aren't sitting too good financially. Believe it or not, there are some people that have unexpected things come up (me). I had my tickets on here and Craigslist for 2-$70 tickets and a parking pass for "$120 or Make Me an Offer" and not a single person responded. I had a friend from college who grew up in Iowa and is engaged to someone from the U (I know he should get his degree taken away) so I sold them to em for $100. Should I of only given them one because she can't go? If Gopher fans aren't willing to make me an offer below face value what should I do? I read someone say give them to the Boys and Girls club...I know to some of you $100 is nothing; but I could use it...sorry. This is just ridiculous! I won't sell my tickets to opposing team fans if someone on here will promise to purchase them from me next time.

That all being said, I LOVE the gophers...my wife just sits and laughs at me while watching the game; and going down to games is always great but my goodness. I guess this is just part of message boards...but understand that you can be a great fan without being a complete die hard that has an unwritten rule book of things that can be said and can't and things that can be done and can't. If all of this makes me lower than you in the fan power rankings I will accept that...I am quite content knowing that I am a fan of the Gophers but can still keep some sort of sanity and real world sense.

Let the firing squad loose... :)

Well said. That is how the board here works, but the best you can do is share your point and ignore people who's only response is character assination. Those sort of folks aren't adding to the conversation, but they have the same right to post as the rest of us. I quit reading KFAN because their boards couldn't handle the number of posts and took forever to read. I would suggest you avoid the rivals site then. The holier than thou crowd there is far worse than here.

Sorry, but I don't know why you are here and why you wrote this. Really--I don't get it. Have a nice day.

You make some valid points, but the ticket rant continues to be (and will forever be) complete and utter BS. If buying a set of season tickets that essentially cost a little more than $20/mo. is in any way financially impactful to you...don't buy the tickets. It really is that simple. Sure, when things come up, I get annoyed that I can't find a Gopher fan to go for free, much less actually pay a nominal amount for them. But the $30/game I paid for them isn't worth selling my soul. I'd rather burn them than sell them to opposition fans and undercut my own team.

good post. I may not agree with everything you say, but a little honesty is never a horrible thing

Though most of what you say is true, it's the internet and a fan board; sad to say but a lot of stuff just "comes with the territory. On selling tickets to rivals? Actually have enjoyed watching the thousands of Iowa fans taking their "walk of shame" out of TCT. Never had this opinion when we were in the Dome because SO many of the Iowa and Badger fans were nasty drunks. Just having them around would make you sick.

When the Gophers lose to the Badgers or Hawkeyes then I don't want any of them in the stadium. Self-serving? Yep; but it's the internet! :)

You make some valid points, but the ticket rant continues to be (and will forever be) complete and utter BS. If buying a set of season tickets that essentially cost a little more than $20/mo. is in any way financially impactful to you...don't buy the tickets. It really is that simple. Sure, when things come up, I get annoyed that I can't find a Gopher fan to go for free, much less actually pay a nominal amount for them. But the $30/game I paid for them isn't worth selling my soul. I'd rather burn them than sell them to opposition fans and undercut my own team.

But you do acknowledge that anyone who buys tickets has the right to sell them for any amount to whomever they like, correct??? You don't have to like it, but luckily my season tickets and I don't care about your opinion.

Darn it, if you don't drink the koolaide you have no business being on this forumn. Common on post what you feel, who cares what others think, we aren't 4th graders, group dynamics shouldn't have that much pull.

But you do acknowledge that anyone who buys tickets has the right to sell them for any amount to whomever they like, correct??? You don't have to like it, but luckily my season tickets and I don't care about your opinion.

Yes, I do acknowledge that. I also reserve the right to call that person a terrible fan, because they are.

And my particular annoyance? When someone extracts the opinions of a few to criticize the whole. Certainly there are those that exemplify every point you make, but the majority of us don't apply to any of them. The fanbase is large and diverse. Don't let the excesses of a few taint your opinion of the whole.

Go Gophers!

P.S. and I'm not so sure I can agree with you on the ticket issue.

If you can't afford the tickets in the first place don't buy them. I don't
make a lot of money, but Gopher season tickets are a priority. I couldn't attend the NDSU or Nebraska games and I gave them away to Gopher
fans instead of selling them for big bucks to NDSU and Nebraska fans because I couldn't stomach knowing opposing fans would be sitting in my seat. Selling to opposing teams fans is not right.

Well I didn't get torn apart as bad as I thought. As far as the ticket issue I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't feel as though I am undermining my team. I also didn't buy season tickets, I bought some tickets at a charity auction and couldn't make it...there is however no way that anyone will be able to convince me that it makes more sense for me to burn my tickets than get $100 for them. I apologize to the person that thinks I am a terrible fan...

As far as the person that said not to think the whole fan base feels this way, I agree and I didn't mean for it to come across that way...I know that it is for the most part a minority (on all points except I might be in the minority on the ticket deal).

For you that wished me a nice day...I hope that you have a great day as well.

This is going to really wreck my fan level, but my wife and I decided to shrink my television package on DirecTV and now I don't get Big10 Network so I didn't even watch the game other than Gamecast on my computer!!!! Maybe now I will be excused for selling my tickets for $100 since I got rid of my Big10 Network for like $15/month...stupid financial responsibility; not the American way :)

This is going to really wreck my fan level, but my wife and I decided to shrink my television package on DirecTV and now I don't get Big10 Network so I didn't even watch the game other than Gamecast on my computer!!!! Maybe now I will be excused for selling my tickets for $100 since I got rid of my Big10 Network for like $15/month...stupid financial responsibility; not the American way :)

#OccupyDirecTV ;)

If you can't afford the tickets in the first place don't buy them. I don't
make a lot of money, but Gopher season tickets are a priority. I couldn't attend the NDSU or Nebraska games and I gave them away to Gopher
fans instead of selling them for big bucks to NDSU and Nebraska fans because I couldn't stomach knowing opposing fans would be sitting in my seat. Selling to opposing teams fans is not right.

I never said I couldn't afford them; but I do think that there are people that spent the money and later decided that they would rather have the money than go to the game. I had no problem affording the tickets...but I do have a problem with just letting them sit instead of getting $100 for them. Even though many think this makes me a bad fan, 100 times out of 100 opportunities if I have tickets for a game and cannot make it and cannot get a Gopher fan to buy them...I will sell them to whoever has the money even if I can afford not to sell them. I would bet that if you gave 20 tickets to each Gopher player and they couldn't get a Gopher fan to buy them, that they would sell them to whoever had the money. I might be wrong and its purely speculation but just my thought.

I never said I couldn't afford them; but I do think that there are people that spent the money and later decided that they would rather have the money than go to the game. I had no problem affording the tickets...but I do have a problem with just letting them sit instead of getting $100 for them. Even though many think this makes me a bad fan, 100 times out of 100 opportunities if I have tickets for a game and cannot make it and cannot get a Gopher fan to buy them...I will sell them to whoever has the money even if I can afford not to sell them. I would bet that if you gave 20 tickets to each Gopher player and they couldn't get a Gopher fan to buy them, that they would sell them to whoever had the money. I might be wrong and its purely speculation but just my thought.

Players can NOT sell their tickets. Just ask Mychal Thompson about that from the Jim Dutcher days as basketball coach.

Players can NOT sell their tickets. Just ask Mychal Thompson about that from the Jim Dutcher days as basketball coach.

It was hypothetical. I know they can't; I'm just trying to make a point that in my opinion certain fans care more that someone would sell tickets to opposing fans than they players care. Again just my opinion, but I think that if players were permitted to that they would sell them to whoever would give them money.

This thread is obviously not about me since all my posts are intelligent, thoughtful and witty.:)

I think the "Message Boards Suck" section of your diary threw up on Gopherhole.

I don't get these posts where people break down why they post places and how certain message boards have let them down.

It's a message board, if you are expecting people to take "accountability" for all of their opinions, you're in the wrong place.
If you're expecting everyone to agree with you, you're in the wrong place.
If you're expecting people to not give you hell when they disagree with you, again, you're in the wrong place.

This is how the internet works.

I think the "Message Boards Suck" section of your diary threw up on Gopherhole.

I don't get these posts where people break down why they post places and how certain message boards have let them down.

It's a message board, if you are expecting people to take "accountability" for all of their opinions, you're in the wrong place.
If you're expecting everyone to agree with you, you're in the wrong place.
If you're expecting people to not give you hell when they disagree with you, again, you're in the wrong place.

This is how the internet works.

LOL...thanks for the breakdown on how the internet works...holy crap does that help!
OK...have whatever takes you want and change them at will.........check
I am in the wrong place..........check
People aren't always going to agree with me.........check
I am in the wrong place.........check
People are going to give me hell.........check
I am in the wrong place.......check
I should not have any sort of expectation from a message board....check
I have a diary........check
I am not allowed to make a post about disagreeing with other people........check
I am in the wrong place........check
I have now figured out how the internet works. Thank you. I will now go and start my "Move Gray to WR and start Shortell" thread shortly followed by my "Gray will be an All-American" thread and I might end my evening with "I Can't Believe that Someone can Act Like A Gopher Fan and Actually Accept Iowan Money" thread. Now that I know how this whole world wide web thing works I am stoked! Thank you sincerely Bob!

You are free to do whatever you'd like...if you want to post about moving players, go right ahead. Those kinds of threads are almost always dumb, I agree with you. However, i'm not going to whine on this board about it. You could either reply to those threads something like "that's dumb" or here is a novel idea....you could not click those threads.

These kinds of forums you are going to have to see really stupid threads, whether it's knee jerk reactions or a fellow poster PMSing all over the board about what he wants out of Gopherhole.

Feel free to keep crying here all you want, it might even drive another emotionally fragile individual to post on the KFAN board something like "Gopherhole hurt my feelings...and this is why".

I can't disagree with much of what the OP says. I'm all for the free exchange of ideas and I don't post (usually) on a thread where I think I'll go out of bounds. Message boards are what they are and I think this is one of the better message boards on which I've posted. There are some really good posters here and they represent a wide age range. The place is generally respectful, although I do get a bit disappointed that it can be difficult to level any, even constructive, criticism.

One poster called Jerry Kill "poison". That's quite a bit of spin to call that mere criticism. The people who aren't being held accountable for what they say are the "critics" (to use the term loosely. Predicting the Gophers to win 5 games doesn't imply that someone shouldn't be patient with the Gophers if they win less than that - there isn't an implied "or else" if the team doesn't win as many games as you expected. It's still the rational thing not to be calling for the coaches head if they don't win as many games as you thought. I picked the Gophers to win 4 games. They may not do that, and I'm as disappointed as anyone, but that doesn't mean it is time for pitchforks and torches.

Then there are the distortions, what Jerry Kill says and what his "critics" say are often two different things.

And why today? The Gophers WON. The people who talk about the Gophers being the worst team in the Big Ten or the worst team in the FBS or the worst team in Gophers history have been shown that they maybe are a bit off.

LOL...thanks for the breakdown on how the internet works...holy crap does that help!
OK...have whatever takes you want and change them at will.........check
I am in the wrong place..........check
People aren't always going to agree with me.........check
I am in the wrong place.........check
People are going to give me hell.........check
I should not have any sort of expectation from a message board....check
I have a diary........check
I am not allowed to make a post about disagreeing with other people........check
I am in the wrong place........check
I have now figured out how the internet works. Thank you. I will now go and start my "Move Gray to WR and start Shortell" thread shortly followed by my "Gray will be an All-American" thread and I might end my evening with "I Can't Believe that Someone can Act Like A Gopher Fan and Actually Accept Iowan Money" thread. Now that I know how this whole world wide web thing works I am stoked! Thank you sincerely Bob!

Wow! I think your basic problem is that you're hurt about the ticket selling and the rest of this is a straw man argument. You have the right to sell those tickets. People have the right to not only think poorly of it, but also to state that opinion.

There are all sorts of posts here where people disagree with each other. I suspect they rarely convince each other, and it sometimes turns into a pissing contest. So what? That's the nature of the place. The fact is that most of the posters are mature enough to know there is a give and take nature to this forum.

As for me, I get real tired of the negative, one-trick pony posters, and at a certain point I'm going to tell them what I think. It's not going to change their behavior and it's not going to drive them off this site. On the other hand, on a Gopher fan site, you're a fool if you stay constantly negative and then are hurt when people come after you.

I just re-read this thread, and, really, OP, what was the point of this? Especially after a great win, and what I think was the funnest game in TCF's history. You decide this is the time to get on your soapbox and complain about the tendencies of a message board with completely user-generated content? Why?

And, really, nothing you said really makes sense. "Cannot under any circumstances criticize the Gophers." Huh? You've been looking at the same board I have. There's been A LOT of criticism--obviously, you can criticize the Gophers. And yet you complain about people's reactions when they don't agree with the criticism. Then you say that "you can still be a fan and not be blind to reality" and how the positive fans "can't see the forest for the trees." So people who aren't as critical of Kill's start and share that opinion are, in your opinion, just bullies who use personal attacks against the critics they disagree with. Then you use the same personal attacks to make fun of the people you disagree with. Makes a ton of sense. Pot, meet kettle.

I won't sell my tickets to Wisconsin fans...or bring a Bucky fan with me. That's a personal choice. I have no qualms with anyone else who does. I sold my 3 Nebraska tickets for $525 and bought an extra student ticket to go to the game. I bought two flights to Vegas with the money. My tickets are OK, but not great.

Life is about choices. I decided that I would rather have 2 flights to Vegas than sit in my own seats for the Nebraska game. Would most people feel differently?

I say sell your tickets. You supported the team by paying for them, and can do whatever you want with them.

I won't sell my tickets to Wisconsin fans...or bring a Bucky fan with me. That's a personal choice. I have no qualms with anyone else who does. I sold my 3 Nebraska tickets for $525 and bought an extra student ticket to go to the game. I bought two flights to Vegas with the money. My tickets are OK, but not great.

Life is about choices. I decided that I would rather have 2 flights to Vegas than sit in my own seats for the Nebraska game. Would most people feel differently?

Nope. Except for the part about a Wisconsin fan...:)

Top Bottom