So mad today...

Juicer

Reaction score
... that we didn't take care of Indiana or Northwestern on the road, or played a little better against MSU at home to squeak one out. Oh well.

I won't live in the past, I won't live in the past...

vs. Texas A&M, @ IU, Sparty

I'm so glad the Gophs have put together 2 straight strong performances, especially after the Michigan game where I thought it looked like they had thrown in the towel. At this point just glad to see the Gophs haven't packed it in, they seem to be playing with a purpose.

But you're right, it's difficult not to look back. The 3 games I look at are vs. Texas A&M, @ Indiana (horrendous, horrendous loss, at least NW is a decent team) and Michigan State at home. If the Gophers win any combination of 2 of those games, they're basically close to a lock for the NCAAs. But we must trudge forward. ... what's done is done.

... that we didn't take care of Indiana or Northwestern on the road, or played a little better against MSU at home to squeak one out. Oh well.

Then why be mad today? Just asking.

It's hard not to think about it. But I still reserve that for screaming 'Run Brett, don't throw it!' in my nightmares.

Hopefully, they have adjusted to losing their most experienced point guard.

What are they going to roll us in?

Sorry poor English on my part.

What I should have typed was:

Maybe all this premature talk of the NCAA tournament will come to an end after Purdue beats the Gophers on Wed. night

Once again, explain how this is "premature talk of the NCAA tournament"? You obviously hate when fans on here talk positively about the gophers since you're only a badger fan. Adding the gopher part in your name isn't fooling anyone. This thread is about people frustrated by the fact that we lost to teams we should've beaten, yet you turn it into "premature talk of the NCAA tournament", and you feel better by saying it will all come to an end when Purdue beats us (your rival, not your team).

Sorry poor English on my part.

What I should have typed was:

Maybe all this premature talk of the NCAA tournament will come to an end after Purdue beats the Gophers on Wed. night

Once again, explain how this is "premature talk of the NCAA tournament"? You obviously hate when fans on here talk positively about the gophers since you're only a badger fan. Adding the gopher part in your name isn't fooling anyone. This thread is about people frustrated by the fact that we lost to teams we should've beaten, yet you turn it into "premature talk of the NCAA tournament", and you feel better by saying it will all come to an end when Purdue beats us (your rival, not your team).

Not true at all. I am both a gopher and a badger fan. I like Gopher hoops and Badger Football. And there are a bunch of threads on here with NCAA talk in them, and IMO it is premature.

I hope the gophers win out and make the NCAA's but I do not think that they will. I do not "hate" it at all when fans talk positively about the Gophers, I just think that the NCAA talk is premature at this point. The Gophers are 16-10 and have one good NC win this year, and have an RPI in the mid 70's.

If I responded to the thread in a poor way, I apologize, just expressing an opinion, which is what these message boards are for. And who is to say we "should" have beaten these teams, we didn't, so we are wat we are. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe OSU "should have beaten us", but the didn't.

What fun is a message board without speculation? I don't recall anyone saying that we are going to the NCAA tournament. I only recall people discussing hypothetical situations in which the Gophers would potentially be able to make it. The Gophers have played very well the last two games and fans are excited that they are being put in that discussion again. I don't see anything wrong with that. Most fans have some level of confidence in their team when they're on a roll and are playing at home, yet you appear to have none. Doesn't sound like a very big Gopher fan to me, sounds more like a LittleGopherFan.

What fun is a message board without speculation? I don't recall anyone saying that we are going to the NCAA tournament. I only recall people discussing hypothetical situations in which the Gophers would potentially be able to make it. The Gophers have played very well the last two games and fans are excited that they are being put in that discussion again. I don't see anything wrong with that. Most fans have some level of confidence in their team when they're on a roll and are playing at home, yet you appear to have none. Doesn't sound like a very big Gopher fan to me, sounds more like a LittleGopherFan.

Fair enough. Everyone can have an opinion, and I just expressed mine. No, I dont have confidence in the Gophs, but I do hope they prove me wrong. They have play two vert good games in a row, so opefully they can sustain it, but there has been nothing this year to show me they are capable of sustaining momenteum this year.

People are simply discussing scenarios in which the Gophers COULD make the tournament. How is that premature? What do you think these types of boards are for? I have no problem with you sharing that you think the gophers won't make the tournament, but I do have a problem with you saying it's premature to talk about the tournament at all. Why can't people talk about the tournament and why does that bother you that you feel the need to say multiple times that it's premature. I just don't understand.

Obviously fans are biased, meaning they often believe their team is better than it is in reality, but seriously now, don't tell me there isn't such a thing as games that a team should win. Obviously the better team doesn't always win, but can you really say we should have lost to as many weak teams as we did? People are just saying that losing against so many teams that we are better than them is frustrating to them because it's really hurting our tournament chances.

Not true at all. I am both a gopher and a badger fan. I like Gopher hoops and Badger Football. And there are a bunch of threads on here with NCAA talk in them, and IMO it is premature.

I hope the gophers win out and make the NCAA's but I do not think that they will. I do not "hate" it at all when fans talk positively about the Gophers, I just think that the NCAA talk is premature at this point. The Gophers are 16-10 and have one good NC win this year, and have an RPI in the mid 70's.

If I responded to the thread in a poor way, I apologize, just expressing an opinion, which is what these message boards are for. And who is to say we "should" have beaten these teams, we didn't, so we are wat we are. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe OSU "should have beaten us", but the didn't.

"I like Gopher hoops and Badger Football."

What the hell happened to you as a child??

It's hard not to think about it. But I still reserve that for screaming 'Run Brett, don't throw it!' in my nightmares.

welcome to having the brett favre. this is exactly the thought every packer fan had at the end of nearly every game. im glad hes with you guys now so he can deep 6 every season hes there. also 12>4. i may have gained a hatred for bucky (was always an MU fan anyway) since coming here from wisco' but ill never hate on my packers :3.

welcome to having the brett favre. this is exactly the thought every packer fan had at the end of nearly every game. im glad hes with you guys now so he can deep 6 every season hes there. also 12>4. i may have gained a hatred for bucky (was always an MU fan anyway) since coming here from wisco' but ill never hate on my packers :3.

Whatever. In truth I don't blame Brett. The Vikings were cursed long before he came along. Besides, if we could simply count to 11, it never would have happened. Or, if we could have like, not fumbled 5 times. Either one. That game was filled with moments you wish you could do over. But Brett's was the last.

Whatever. In truth I don't blame Brett. The Vikings were cursed long before he came along. Besides, if we could simply count to 11, it never would have happened. Or, if we could have like, not fumbled 5 times. Either one. That game was filled with moments you wish you could do over. But Brett's was the last.

I would not blame him either. But the team is not cursed, IMO. They just choked.

"I like Gopher hoops and Badger Football."

What the hell happened to you as a child??

I know its odd.

I have always like Gopher BB since the days of Dutcher, and then I had some friends who lived next door to Clem in Minnetonka growing up, he was a cool guy...

3 of my buddies played FB for Wisky, and I have followed them since 1993. That first Rose Bowl was the highlight...

Understand the question, I know its kinda f'ed up...

I would not blame him either. But the team is not cursed, IMO. They just choked.

Drew Pearson pushing off, Darrin Nelson dropping the ball in the end zone, Gary Anderson missing a FG for the first time all year, and now 12 men in the huddle. The Vikings are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL but without a billy goat to blame it on.

Drew Pearson pushing off, Darrin Nelson dropping the ball in the end zone, Gary Anderson missing a FG for the first time all year, and now 12 men in the huddle. The Vikings are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL but without a billy goat to blame it on.

Might get some crap for hijacking this thread, but -

None of those things have anything to do with each other, IMO...

I was too young for the Drew play, so I can't comment. I have seen it and it looks like a pushoff, but have Vikes ever gotten the benfit of a missed call?

The pass to Neslon was not very good, and e probably would not have scored anyway...

The FG by Anderson was horrible, but a lot of other bad things the Vikes did that day put them into that postion, same with the game a few weeks ago...No sure bet Longwell would have made that FG either. I would bet that he would have, but it was not moneyt in the bank. Poor coaching cost them that call, and not being secure with the FB cost them the game.

Personally, I thought the PI call on Leber in OT was a pretty bad call, and might have been more costly...

I think his point is something happens in big games for the Vikings that is beyond our understanding. Things that just don't happen to every franchise, only a select few get the privilege of choking away repeated championship opportunities in epic fashion like the Vikings do, or like the Cubs do, or like the Red Sox did. It takes a truly special team to break that cycle. I still await that team that does it.

As far as the Gophers and NCAA chances, talk is far from premature. When you can basically win one game and put yourself in the mix, it is worth discussing. No one is guaranteeing anything, the point is the opportunity is there for the taking. It is a home game, where the team (sans Michigan) has played their best basketball all season, and is coming off their two best performances of the season with the backdrop of inspiration behind them. I think they will show up tomorrow, but Purdue is darn good, and it will take a ridiculous effort to come up with a win. My money wouldn't be on the Gophs to do it, but I also know emotion can carry you a long way. Here's to hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

Might get some crap for hijacking this thread, but -

None of those things have anything to do with each other, IMO...

I was too young for the Drew play, so I can't comment. I have seen it and it looks like a pushoff, but have Vikes ever gotten the benfit of a missed call?

The pass to Neslon was not very good, and e probably would not have scored anyway...

The FG by Anderson was horrible, but a lot of other bad things the Vikes did that day put them into that postion, same with the game a few weeks ago...No sure bet Longwell would have made that FG either. I would bet that he would have, but it was not moneyt in the bank. Poor coaching cost them that call, and not being secure with the FB cost them the game.

Personally, I thought the PI call on Leber in OT was a pretty bad call, and might have been more costly...

Of course plays that happen years apart don't have any conventional connection. And of course each play has its own 'explanation'. But some teams are just cursed. Whether it's something they could have controlled (Anderson making a field goal) should have controlled (having 11 men in the huddle) or had no control over (Pearson pushing off and not getting called) something will always happen to screw it up.

Bad luck happens sometimes to all teams. In 2004 the Twins beat the Yankees in game 1 and had them dead to rights in game 2. A ball bounced the wrong way, and they later choked away the series. I believe they were genuinly the better team. The Yankees got the Red Sox down 3-0 before the Red Sox broke the curse. Who's to say the Twins wouldn't have won it? However, I can at least acknowledge that in 1987 maybe they were on the other end of it and probably weren't the best team. I don't sense the same curse is over the Twins head as what the Vikings must endure. Gopher football? That's another story.

Rick Mons's thread "OOPS WRONG FORUM..." is the curse of GopherHole. It happens to the best of us, but I can get thru it as long as I have enough beer. :drink:

Top Bottom