Small town kids

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Interesting to see how some of these small town kids will do at other Universities. I think they get over looked sometimes. You don't need to look any further than our Vikings to find some small town South Dakota kids that have done pretty well.

There was a kid who goes to Triton High School (Dodge Center, West Concord & Claremont) named Damon Andrews. I've watched him excel for years. I have no doubt that he is going to be the definition of "Sleeper." The kid is 6-4 200. A very good all-round athlete that could play wide out or safety at the next level.

I'm at a loss for the name of the ex-gopher from Florida who was injured against Penn State. Anyway this Andrews kid hits like him. Every time he hits someone they go backwards. The local TV stations are so used to his hits that they always refer to them as a "typical Damon Andrews hit" on the Friday night highlights. The fact that they feature a defensive player on their highlights says something about him as well. I'm not saying he will but I would not be surprised to see him play on Sunday's in the future.

I was always going to send the U a letter to keep an eye on this kid but figured they would have to know about him. His coach was a little at a loss to know why he didn't get a ton of offers. He did get a concussion this year ... don't know if that scared anyone off. He signed with North Dakota and I'm betting they are very excited to have him.

http://www.areavoices.com/waynenelson/?blog=41356

I'm not saying the Gophers can sign every kid but I don't have any doubt that the Gophers would have been better off having a 6-4 200 kid (who could grow) with speed going toe to toe with some of those big wide receivers. He was all-state but was off the radar of Rivals as I couldn't find a ranking on him.

Brandon Owens is the name you were searching for.

The best thing the outstate kids can do to get the attention of the coaches from the U is to go to camp in the summer. That is how Rengel (the only 2-star in this class that is not a kicker/punter) got his offer. Rivals may overlook a prospect that gets no hype but if the coaching staff has a chance to see the player up close against good competition they won't overlook the player.

real deal

This Andrews kid is the real deal. He had 18 career interceptions but could have had a lot more but his team was usually way ahead in his three years so many times he played about 2.5 to 3 quarters. He is just as good a receiver even though his team ran more of a run oriented type offense. Great student ... Honor Society type. I think he would be a standout whether at Triton or one of the Eden Prairie type schools.

It is a problem. The outstate conferences do these kids no favors. Each conference should make it mandatory that coaches post stats. The conferences really need to set up a program to promote the best kids. Bringing this kind of attention and prestige to the athletic programs can only enhance the overall athletic/academic environment of the conference. Which i assume is a component of their mission. they seem to be about 30 years behind.

While defining a small town

Is tricky, and how small do you mean. Or do you mean remote? I will again say talent knows no zip code. Silver Lake is out there some where in most peoples minds. And when I say the some of the best football is played in the Wright County Conference, most schools are not in Wright County. Can you name three teams in the conference? No checking on line. Hutchinson will join and the games will be competitive, well coached, well attended, and some pretty good players have made their way to the U from the conference. Its my unofficial recruiting territory. The one grudge match I attended featured the Tigers with Mortonson, Swift, and Murtha, the Panthers countered with The Flying Dutchman and The Horse. I went in thinking Murtha would be a Gopher, but watching Willie beat him off the ball all night long it became a crusade to get Mason and the staff to take a look and make an offer.

And then there is Rashede Hageman, playing in the City Conference. Who was the last player from the Minneapolis City Conference, Najarian? Big City, and no players? You've got to be kidding. If nothing else, Rashede's signing shines a little light on the City Conference. I wonder if Coach Brewster knows Roger French?

Wasn't there a QB at SW with some amazing numbers. And of course that means he was throwing to someone. don't hear much about that.

It is really a shame how poorly we take advantage of the internet in this state. It should be a top priority in every football conference in the state. Pick a service and post the stats. Require it. Pick out a team managaer to deal with it. It's not tough.

The RB from RTR we were reqruiting last year would have helped out greatly with the running game. Too bad he chose to go to SDSU(I think that is where he went). Or maybe Brew just didn't think he was big ten material since he was a small town kid. It seems like even the best kids from small towns get overlooked.

Small Town Kids

the kid from RTR is Kyle Minett and he is at SDSU and doing well. I saw an interview with a kid from PA and he said that MN wants kids that can step on the field and play as true freshman. I don't think this staff thinks that kids like Minett could do that at B10 level without a redshirt year and they don't appear that they want to do that with players other than lineman. Long term I think it hurts the program. Look at programs at IA and NE. They have kids from all over their states and thus interest from all areas of those states. Look at MN's roster. How many kids from outstate? not many. Hard to generate interest from the casual fan. Minett would not be any worse than the rbs already on the roster. All he needed was a chance.
________
MAINE MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

The RB from RTR we were reqruiting last year would have helped out greatly with the running game. Too bad he chose to go to SDSU(I think that is where he went). Or maybe Brew just didn't think he was big ten material since he was a small town kid. It seems like even the best kids from small towns get overlooked.

I believe Minett was on the Gophers' radar. They (Mason--Minett was a few years ago) wanted him to walk on, IIRC.

When I was doing my fun with #'s it was apparent that Penn State loved the two star instate guys. Their recruiting list year to year was split between big time guys and local guys. Joe makes it work. I wonder what he does differently than everyone else. Does he redshirt these kids, or does he just rely on the big guys to be #1 on the depth charts and uses the local boys for depth?

It's become obvious to me that Brew's philosophy is a double edged sword for Minn kids. He's opened the door as wide as he can but is giving out no free passes. He's going to depend on the mud on the wall approach in the local recruiting. "We luv ya, we want ya, but ya gotta walk on and prove yourself, but in the mean time we see your potential and we are willing to give you 'preferred status'"

I think it's the right approach as a good walkon program is crucial. But it is always fun to see the local boys in the maroon and gold. But it is interesting to see the success at Penn going the other direction.

From the last BT champs Williston,ND ,Eau Claire, wisc,.Jackson, Owatonna, Big Fork, Chatfield, Buhl, Delano, Elbow Lake ,Browerville, Heron Lake, Luverne, Bemidji, Stewart,Duluth, Fargo, ND, Grand Forks, ND, Austin, Litchfield plus 5 Mpls schools, and 11 Twin Cities area.

It's become obvious to me that Brew's philosophy is a double edged sword for Minn kids. He's opened the door as wide as he can but is giving out no free passes. He's going to depend on the mud on the wall approach in the local recruiting. "We luv ya, we want ya, but ya gotta walk on and prove yourself, but in the mean time we see your potential and we are willing to give you 'preferred status'"

I think it's the right approach as a good walkon program is crucial. But it is always fun to see the local boys in the maroon and gold. But it is interesting to see the success at Penn going the other direction.
You could add, "we want you to take out student loans and turn down that full ride to UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, etc." Walkons are an important part of a program, but why wouldn't a kid take a full ride unless your family has the money in hand to pay for the education?
________
HONDA NH80

You could add, "we want you to take out student loans and turn down that full ride to UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, etc." Walkons are an important part of a program, but why wouldn't a kid take a full ride unless your family has the money in hand to pay for the education?

Desire to prove themselves at the highest level, love of the U, want to attend a Big 10 school, U has better program in their desired major, want to get out a small town and into a big city, etc. Financial isn't the only motivator...though I would never begrudge anyone from choosing the route that pays for school!

Desire to prove themselves at the highest level, love of the U, want to attend a Big 10 school, U has better program in their desired major, want to get out a small town and into a big city, etc. Financial isn't the only motivator...though I would never begrudge anyone from choosing the route that pays for school!

That is the answer. If you're talking about an individual kid, yeah we probably lose him. But if you're talking about 20-30 unsung highschool kids, now all of a sudden you're getting results.

And don't underestimate the negative impact of giving shollies to unproven locals to the ones that didn't get the offer.

Being that they are unproven and untested, we're better off with a mud against the wall approach, than targeting the one or two best guesses and alienating the rest.

Just my opinion, and Joe Pa has a totally different approach that works just fine for him.

It's possible to get some undiscovered talent from small schools. But you have to really search pretty widely. I agree that coaches at all levels should post stats, there's no reason that a player on a 9-man school couldn't have the talent to play D-I in college. But if the players don't come to the attention of college coaches, it's that much harder to get the chance.

I'm in close contact with a family on the range. Their kid is very good. Plays both ways of course, but mostly he's a DB. I've been trying to get stats since the season ended. The coach still hasn't got around to compiling them. and then I look at the entire conference, the only one I saw that had stats posted is Duluth east. WTF! How tough is it to hand the stats sheet out to a manager and have him/her post it.
By the time any one knows about this kid it'll be too late. At least the family is comitted to sending him to the U camp. The coach wants him to go as a RB. That will help their team but will do alomost nothing for the kids chances at D1. I think I've got them talked into sending him as a CB. We'll see. On top of that to those guys up there the highway (hwy 2) only goes east and west. It's a real battle for these kids with D1 dreams.

It's possible to get some undiscovered talent from small schools. But you have to really search pretty widely. I agree that coaches at all levels should post stats, there's no reason that a player on a 9-man school couldn't have the talent to play D-I in college. But if the players don't come to the attention of college coaches, it's that much harder to get the chance.
Chad Greenway is a prime example. 9 man in SD to IA to the Vikings.
________
VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

This is why strong relationship with high school coaches is important and why Brewster is so intent on fostering a stronger relationship with the high school coaching hierarchy throughout the state. When the assistants go out, they not only ask coaches about their own players, but players in the area and word-of-mouth can really help. It also gets kids into the U of M camp where everyone gets a better look at them against stiffer competition.

Mason had his good and bad points, but where he really fell down was in his relationship with the high school establishment in Minnesota. Brewster is busting his tail to repair that. He's not going to get every kid, but my guess is he'll at least be in on the best ones and have a strong idea on who--even those located in the most remote corner of the state--can help the program.

Schnoodler, have the kid put togather his own highlite film and send it in. Do this now before he goes to the Camp. Most schools will look at a 10-15 minute highlite film.

Man, if you only knew how much I've harped on this family to get this done. they stumble on minor road blocks, and unfortunately as to the spirit of this thread there are road blocks and there shouldn't be.

Brandon Owens is the name you were searching for.

The best thing the outstate kids can do to get the attention of the coaches from the U is to go to camp in the summer. That is how Rengel (the only 2-star in this class that is not a kicker/punter) got his offer. Rivals may overlook a prospect that gets no hype but if the coaching staff has a chance to see the player up close against good competition they won't overlook the player.

This is also how Eslinger got offered a scholly.

Schnoodler, one person's roadblocks is another person's reality. Parents hype their kids all the time. If they've got a bunch of practice and game film of their son, it's probably a $100 investment to have it spliced and then about $3 per DVD. It is labor intensive, but it can be a difference maker.

Yep. It still isn't the best thing for the gophs this is the difference between them finding the right talent and not.

If you know a service that does this, pass the info to me. I'll relay it. Or are you talking buying software and doing it yourself? You know I won an old pinnacle video studio software pack once. Never used it. I wonder if it's still good. I wonder if I still have it, I was purging the other day. Should be XP compatible. Hmmm.

Schnoodler, I have had some meetings taped and DVDs made, but I would have to talk to my assistant to give you the name of the company. It's a guy in the northern suburbs.

If you have it on VCR tape, play from the camera and record thru the TV on to a tape. Takes awhile to get what you want on tape but works pretty well.. Have had quite a few kids do it.

I'll have to find out what exactly is the barrier, technology, accessability or whatever.

I guess I would be interested in how many athletes are on half scholarship at NDSU, SDSU, etc? I guess I would be more inclined to try walking on to the bigger arena of Big Ten football and perhaps further my career there than go off to some prairie school on a half ride. Eons ago, I chose to go to the U and just be a student, rather than accept a couple of half-ride DII scholarships.
2T-3DA-FBSPIN1_Minnesota1.gif

Top Bottom