Slow Starts Too Common

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
I remember last season that it seemed we started really slow almost every game, and it looks like its the same thing this year. Does anybody know why?? Is it the Offense Tubby runs, or what?? Its kinda sad constanly putting up only 5 points 6-7 mins into the half. Dont get me wrong they seem to bounce back but you cant keep playing so poorly the first halfs of games before it comes back to bite you.

perhaps

perhaps it is the Tubby modus operandi to wear out teams over the 40 minutes by throwing our depth of fresh legs at them. teams can cope with the defensive pressure when they are also fresh but with a lack of a good bench the opposing starters are going to wear out. this seems to have been the case at least in the last two games.

just IMHO.

honestly, i know someone can probably debunk this, but i think it is actually the end of the court they are on, and that the rims are different, either with less give or something because these last three games the gophers cant shoot if their lives depended on it in the first half, then the same shots in the second half slide right in, while the opposing team struggles to shoot, and i give all that credit to our stellar defense :cool02:

the results have been too consistent and the teams too different to be much else

I remember last season that it seemed we started really slow almost every game, and it looks like its the same thing this year. Does anybody know why?? Is it the Offense Tubby runs, or what?? Its kinda sad constanly putting up only 5 points 6-7 mins into the half. Dont get me wrong they seem to bounce back but you cant keep playing so poorly the first halfs of games before it comes back to bite you.

Yeah, that's it. Tubby loves to fall behind and come back. Ridiculous notion.

Every game starts 0-0. The Gophers are W-ing by more 30 ppg so far.

perhaps it is the Tubby modus operandi to wear out teams over the 40 minutes by throwing our depth of fresh legs at them. teams can cope with the defensive pressure when they are also fresh but with a lack of a good bench the opposing starters are going to wear out. this seems to have been the case at least in the last two games.

just IMHO.

I share your H.O. And I've heard plenty of coaches say that the point of intense defensive pressure isn't always steals, it's the toll it takes mentally by the middle of the game.

When I was still sports writing and had the privilege of covering college sports, many times coaches would attribute slow starts such as the ones the Gophers have had to the players not focusing fully during warmups. I have no idea if that's the case here, but I had one college basketball coach say something along the lines of "these are college kids. You never know where their heads are at before a game" or something to that effect.

Again, not saying that's the case with the Gophers. But I think the point is that these are still very young men and it's sometimes difficult to focus on the task at hand right away, especially if you're playing the likes of Tennessee Tech, Stephen F. Austin and Utah Valley State. Obviously, the guys respond well to Tubby and coaches during halftime, but yeah, the slow starts probably need to be dealt with before Butler next week.

Yeah, that's it. Tubby loves to fall behind and come back. Ridiculous notion.

Every game starts 0-0. The Gophers are W-ing by more 30 ppg so far.

Ridiculous?? Sorry for asking a question. Its not just this year, we did the same thing last year. I remember constantly being 5-7 minutes into the game and the Gophs have like 5-6 pts, yeah they pulled most of them off but whats up with that. Maybe it just takes some time to find a rythmn?

Top Bottom