Skip Holtz to USF...

I agree, you'd think he would have eventually been in line for a much better job.

I disagree, strongly. Florida, obviously, is a major recruiting hotbed, and USF could get along just fine with solely the leftovers from the big three. However, they are actually getting to the point where they're beating out those schools in some cases (especially Miami), and they play in what is by far the weakest BCS conference.

Holtz was never going to do big things at ECU. He may not at USF either, but he's got a lot better chance. He could potentially play in a BCS bowl with as many as 3 or 4 losses, and he almost certainly would've never played in a BCS bowl at ECU regardless of what he did.

All of this aside from the fact that he got a huge pay raise.

I disagree, strongly. Florida, obviously, is a major recruiting hotbed, and USF could get along just fine with solely the leftovers from the big three. However, they are actually getting to the point where they're beating out those schools in some cases (especially Miami), and they play in what is by far the weakest BCS conference.

Holtz was never going to do big things at ECU. He may not at USF either, but he's got a lot better chance. He could potentially play in a BCS bowl with as many as 3 or 4 losses, and he almost certainly would've never played in a BCS bowl at ECU regardless of what he did.

All of this aside from the fact that he got a huge pay raise.

This is all true. Would waiting and getting the Minnesota job a year from now really be that much better? Plus he's probably gotten tired of waiting. He's been a rumored candidate for all sorts of jobs over the last couple of years but never gotten one. Not to mention, he quit UConn to join his Dad as SC as his designated sucessor, but old Lou blew that up by getting them in trouble.

If he wins the conference he goes to a BCS game, at ECU winning the conference got him the Liberty Bowl.

This is all true. Would waiting and getting the Minnesota job a year from now really be that much better? Plus he's probably gotten tired of waiting. He's been a rumored candidate for all sorts of jobs over the last couple of years but never gotten one. Not to mention, he quit UConn to join his Dad as SC as his designated sucessor, but old Lou blew that up by getting them in trouble.

You could argue the USF job is as good as the MN job.

go for it.

Better athletes to recruit, better record, beat West Virginia and FSU this year, 4 bowls the last 5 years, great atmosphere.

Gops have a better conference and a new stadium.

I would say you could argue either way...

go for it.

The USF football program has been to five consecutive bowl games, is one of seven programs to make a bowl appearance in every season as a BCS league member and is in the midst of four straight winning seasons.

Top Bottom