Ski-U-Mah Magazine: Ski-U-Mah Meets Row The Boat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Ski-U-Mah Magazine:

Heather Fleck constantly hears the same question about her husband: “Is he like this all the time?” New Golden Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck exudes so much energy that even his wife was skeptical when the pair first met.

“I thought, ‘There is no way this guy is real, and there is no way that he is like this all the time,’” Heather said. “Literally after I sat down and talked to him for five minutes, I was like, ‘Oh my gosh. This is just who he is.’ He has never wavered from that first impression that I had of him. He’s always been just exactly what you see. What you see is what you get.”

Before Minnesota athletics director Mark Coyle hired Fleck to be the youngest head football coach in the Power Five conferences, the 36-year-old was already nationally known for his enthusiasm, his ability to transform a program, his participatory approach to practice and his Row the Boat mantra. Fleck gave Minnesota a taste of his lively vocabulary at his introductory press conference, and has been teaching it to his Gophers team since Day 1.

Fleck’s Gopher Talk handbook defines a checkers piece as “one dimensional,” while a chess piece has “multiple values.” Fleck is not interested in being a checkers piece. Coyle hired him with confidence that he would hold Minnesota football to high standards academically, athletically and socially. For Fleck, it has always been about more than football, and he pours the same energy into each role or facet of his life.

http://www.skiumahmagazine.com/home/2017/3/31/pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

If you click on the link to the PDF version it has some extra blurbs. Turns out he's a history junkie which gives me newfound respect and common link.

Great read thanks for posting. Lots more info if you click the link!

Top Bottom