Siyani Chambers - A True Point Guard

Section201

Reaction score
There have been several references to Hopkins junior point guard Syani Chambers here in the last few days. As a Hopkins grad, admittedly in a different century, I encourage some Gopher interest in Siyani. A Chris Monter post from last October said:

"Siyani Chambers, a 5-foot-11 junior point guard from Minnetonka (MN) Hopkins, is one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2012. He is expected to attend the Tubby Tip-Off tonight along with Minnesota commit Joe Coleman.

Chambers currently has scholarship offers from Nebraska, St. Louis, Central Michigan, Santa Clara and UC Davis. Hopkins head coach Ken Novak said that Butler head coach Barry Stevens, Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker, Santa Clara assistant James Ware and a Wisconsin coach attended an open gym this week. Schools such as North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Minnesota, Loyola, St. Louis, Harvard, Butler, Indiana State, Longwood, Drake , Creighton, Stanford, Boston College and Wofford have made trips to the school"

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1206

You would think the Gophers would have a good opportunity here with Joe Coleman on board and the history of a Hopkins connection. We can watch Joe and Siyani next week in the State Tourney.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=4327940

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/67408/siyani-chambers

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Siyani-Chambers-104389

only saw him once - up here in Duluth. Stafford, the PG from East (soph?) looked quicker and better. Chambers looked more under control but if Stafford matures his quickness is unbelievable

only saw him once - up here in Duluth. Stafford, the PG from East (soph?) looked quicker and better. Chambers looked more under control but if Stafford matures his quickness is unbelievable

I guess it depends on how the current players develop, if Welch is effective at point and/or Ahanmisi develops then waiting until the 2013 season is an alternative. If you still have an issue at PG next year and wait it might be to late. You are back in the position of scrambling to get someone to fill the position next spring.

I guess it depends on how the current players develop, if Welch is effective at point and/or Ahanmisi develops then waiting until the 2013 season is an alternative. If you still have an issue at PG next year and wait it might be to late. You are back in the position of scrambling to get someone to fill the position next spring.

Unless he shows Hoffarber like improvement, Ahanisi isn't going to be a B10 caliber pg.

Unless he shows Hoffarber like improvement, Ahanisi isn't going to be a B10 caliber pg.

After Nolen went down Tubby only had three healthy Big Ten caliber players left on the roster. That's not good.

I was at the Hopkins-Wayzata game and Siyani was impressive again. His basketball IQ is fantastic. He controls the tempo of the game. Knows when to attack, when to pull back and run the offense. His jump shot is improved and he can finish around the rim. Also, he is a great FT shooter and tenacious defender. I am a big fan of the leftys game. There is a reason why Brad Stevens (among many others coaches) have made the trip to watch Siyani play.

syani...........

is a decent player with potential. However, he is not a difference maker (even though he is left handed) I agree with the above poster that Stafford from Duluth East has more upside. I hope they make it to state, but have a feelingthey will lose the section finals.

Why aren't the Gophers actively recruiting him? We also missed out on Shelby Moats. Was Al Nolen rated high coming out of high school? If not Siyani, then lets get after Stafford hard.

Marcus sure likes to rip-off GH material-

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Chambers is a true PG and is rated higher in 2012 class. Staten is a scoring PG and is taller and more explosive. I would go with local kid.
9 hours ago
»
PiPress Gophers Now
GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Getting this Wesley Staten kid from Iowa would be impressive for Tubby. But what about Hopkins PG Siyani Chambers? - http://bit.ly/fYGjfv

Again with the true pg, does that just mean he cannot score? My only problem with him is he is so small.

How about a pass first pg that can score when his team needs him to pick them up?

Chambers is 4 star top 100 according to rivals.

It is strange. Either that single Rivals ranking is off, or all of the major college coaches in the region are wrong.

Usually if a Top 100 talent resides in Minnesota, he would have offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, and many others.

But, Chambers doesn't have a single offer from any of those programs and three of the four are in dire need of a 2012 point guard. So, does that mean this young man may not be a Top 100 talent (#96) as Rivals proclaims? I don't know.

For instance, No. 97 on their list has committed to Kansas and had offers from Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina, and others.

No. 98 committed to Miami (FL) with offers from several other schools from power conferences, too.

No. 99 has offers from Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, DePaul, Memphis and Cincinnati.

So, why is No. 96 sporting offers from only one BCS school (Nebraska) and a small handful of mid-majors (Santa Clara, SLU, Central Michigan, etc.)?? I mean not even an offer from UNI or UW-Green Bay or NDSU????

I've never seen the kid play and am not a talent evaluator, so I have no idea.

But, I would think if he were 'truly' the No. 96 player in the country, he would have a much more impressive offer list. Top PGs are tough to get.

You want a leader as your PG who has some decent size. Chambers is maybe 5'10" and isn't a strong leader. Hopkins blows many teams out so often the games aren't competitive and he is in a comfort zone. However, when the games are close or physical he's way too emotional and his leadership skills come into question.

If he played for a program not of Pulley's nature I don't think he'd be a 4 star kid. To get the big10 offers some think he's deserving of he'll have to show more maturity this summer. Too many times last summer he came off the court in tantrums etc.

Show me a coach who will put up with that from a 5'10 160 lb pg.

Chambers has ability. Duthamon nailed it regarding his size and leadership. He's a bit of a prima donna and fairly high maintenance. That would be easy to swallow from a 6'8 beast of an athlete. Chambers is not that. He's slight and under 6'.

He's still got a year. He's got a chance to turn into more of a major conference "sure thing." But at this point, I totally get why we haven't offered him. I wouldn't either.

ds

You want a leader as your PG who has some decent size. Chambers is maybe 5'10" and isn't a strong leader. Hopkins blows many teams out so often the games aren't competitive and he is in a comfort zone. However, when the games are close or physical he's way too emotional and his leadership skills come into question.

If he played for a program not of Pulley's nature I don't think he'd be a 4 star kid. To get the big10 offers some think he's deserving of he'll have to show more maturity this summer. Too many times last summer he came off the court in tantrums etc.

I agree about the importance of the leadership factor but would not rule him out based on his size.

Purdue has a nice PG in 5 foot 9 inch, 165 pound Lewis Jackson.

Who good to u besides lil T

chambers is the truth that pulley squad ur referring to did work all over the nation against the best and did damn good if the only piece of that puzzle we get is Coleman it would be a travesty

Stafford is better than Chambers. Quicker, shoots it better and plays great defense. To be honest, he wasn't very good as a sophomore, but he shot up in size and weight in the off-season. When I went to their game vs, Hopkins, some East teachers who are friends of the guy I was with said he's really matured as a person as well.
Are the Gophers interested?

I don't think the Gophers are showing any interest in Stafford. But with Duluth East getting to state, they should start scouting and recruiting him now. Along with his teammate Johnny Woodard, who I believe has better upside and is more athletic than Joe Coleman.

Siyani's a very good floor general, his presence is often over looked...
If he can continue to develop a jump shot and mature as a player he will be at a decent school.
Stats may not be that impressive but he can run with the best and he keeps his team running.

It sounds like their are questions about whether Chambers would be able to compete physically in the Big Ten. That would be a reason none of the Big Ten schools have offered. It's not size it's strength.

I don't think the Gophers are showing any interest in Stafford. But with Duluth East getting to state, they should start scouting and recruiting him now. Along with his teammate Johnny Woodard, who I believe has better upside and is more athletic than Joe Coleman.

Agree, Both Woodard and Stafford looked better with more upside than their Hopkins counterparts Coleman and Stafford.

If they were in the Twin Cities the East players would be followed a lot more. East however isn't as balanced as Hopkins so Woodard/Stafford are called to do a lot more than most.

Chambers going bigtime you all think huh? NDSU was in on him earlier, but probably gone?

Sure are a lot of Duluth fans on here. I have not seen Duluth East play this season, but I have seen Hopkins. Hopkins is 28-1 and this Hopkins team is nowhere near as deep as they were in the past.

That being said, Hopkins won the Duluth East game 95-71. If Stafford and Woodard are that much better than Chambers and Coleman (who are two of the top 3 players on Hopkins along with Singleton), why did they get blown out by 24?

Sure are a lot of Duluth fans on here. I have not seen Duluth East play this season, but I have seen Hopkins. Hopkins is 28-1 and this Hopkins team is nowhere near as deep as they were in the past.

That being said, Hopkins won the Duluth East game 95-71. If Stafford and Woodard are that much better than Chambers and Coleman (who are two of the top 3 players on Hopkins along with Singleton), why did they get blown out by 24?

Duluth is a two man team and extremely short bench, war of attrition led to the wide score margin although Hopkins is clearly the better team

I wouldn't say that the East guys are that much better, but when you have two players you rely on then you get to see those two guys make a lot of plays

Or are your views skewed because of 1 game in duluth? because ive seen chambers go againist former college players and current ones, along w/some pros, and he was still very effective at the point

Siyani

I have seen him play numerous times. He is a good high school player. He, however, does not have any one partcular outstanding skill. His game is getting to the basket but, at 5'11" that is an unlikely at the D1 level. Unfortunately, he does not shoot the ball well enough from the outside necessary to open up that part of his game in which he excels. So, I say no to recruiting him.

His shooting is much improved. I think that part of his game will show next season when he is going to be "the" guy for Hopkins. He is money from the FT line and has 3pt range. Also, his form is good. I would be interested in his shooting stats...

Siyani is a floor general though, he does it very well for every team he is on (Hopkins and Pulley). He has always been a winner.

woodward

Woodward was another piece of that dynamic team that went around the country and beat most of the big teams in it....including Austin Rivers team...just thought I'd throw that in since yall live and DIE by espn stats...who was holding Rivers not our recruit

Stanford - Siyani

Per James Ryan tweet...

"Stanford is here watching Siyani Chambers. Assistant Coach Mike Schrage "

http://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN

That makes Harvard and Stanford showing some interest in Siyani. He must be a smart kid.

:clap::clap::clap:

Per James Ryan tweet...

"Stanford is here watching Siyani Chambers. Assistant Coach Mike Schrage "

http://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN

That makes Harvard and Stanford showing some interest in Siyani. He must be a smart kid.

:clap::clap::clap:

Tubby clearly dominates with recruits who are considering Harvard and Stanford, at least as indicated by the sample size of Andre Hollins. No problems there.

Nice Semi Final Game

From http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/83280?referrer_id=198777

Siyani had a nice semi-final game Thursday. Hopkins beat Cretin-Derham Hall 75-66. Siyani had ten points and ten assists.

Another interesting tidbit is this:

Chambers, who came into the game hitting 43 percent of his three-pointers, hit one to start the second half. When Cretin-Derham Hall’s CJ Neumann hit a three-pointer to cut the Hopkins lead to 41-39, Chambers answered with a three of his own.

The story also described him as 6 foot. He must be growing.

:)

Top Bottom