Time Is Running Out: 19 regular-season wins will shag Gophers a NCAA bid

17-12 seems reasonable to me. If 19-10 is good enough for the NCAA's, 2 wins less should still be NIT worthy. It depends a bit on the rest of the B1G. They will generally take about 2 teams per conference.
17-12. do they start at home? 19 for sure. I'm not a believer we get into the tourney with 19 and to be honest I'm not sure we should.

Puke.

Anytime you talk NIT, I don't care where your team is at its garbage, puke in your shoes time.

I'd rather they sit at home and learn to crochet than play in the NIT.

Garbage junk I would turn it down every time. I wouldn't even pick up the phone should they call and I don't care what our roster looks like.
Respectfully, yes, every team's goal is to make the NCAA Tournament field. ... I get that.

But I think if a team was picked to finish dead last in its conference but then had a decent enough season to receive a NIT invite, I'd be inclined to think said team would be more than happy to play in it. That's certainly the case with the Gophers this season.

I get your point, the NIT is not something to pound your chest about, but in some instances it has some real value. This season would be one of those instances for the Gophers.

Puke.

Anytime you talk NIT, I don't care where your team is at its garbage, puke in your shoes time.

Garbage junk I would turn it down every time. I wouldn't even pick up the phone should they call and I don't care what our roster looks like.
Wow. That's some post.

Puke.

yes, miss out on a chance to continue competing and developing your players. perfect logic

No, some of us don't care for the friendship bracket.

Any coach at the U that declines an NIT invite should be given a lifetime contract.
If a team is mostly underclassmen expected to return, then I see some benefit from extra games, practices, TV exposure and a possible trip to NYC to play at MSG.

Puke.

Sir, this is a Wendy's!

So, we need to win every remaining game other than, say @Ohio State?

Sigh.

Updated through loss @ Iowa. Gophers currently 11-9, 2-9 in Big Ten. Current NET ranking (through Sunday) is #91.

With the Alcorn game canceled, the number of wins needed to be locked & loaded for an at-large bid before heading to Indy for the Big Ten Tournament is (Hey) 19. Iowa is pretty much a must-win in terms of having any chance (albeit slight) at sniffing 19 wins.

MUST WIN AT HOME (go 8-0; currently 6-0)
Nov. 9: KANSAS CITY (WON)
Nov. 19: PURDUE FORT WAYNE (WON)
Nov. 24: JACKSONVILLE (WON)
Dec. 14: TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI (WON)
Dec. 22: GREEN BAY (WON)
Jan. 22: RUTGERS (WON)
Feb. 12: PENN STATE
Feb. 19: NORTHWESTERN

MAN UP, GET THESE ROAD WINS (go 3-2; currently 1-0)
Nov. 30: @ Pitt (WON)
Feb. 9: @ Nebraska
Feb. 17: @ Penn State
March 2: @ Maryland
March 6: @ Northwestern

50/50 BALLS (go 6-2; currently 4-3)
Nov. 12: vs. Western Kentucky (WON)
Nov. 14: vs. Princeton (WON)
Dec. 5: @ Mississippi State (WON)
Dec. 11: @ Michigan (WON)
Jan. 9: @ Indiana (LOST)
Jan. 16: IOWA (LOST)
Feb. 6: @ Iowa (LOST)
Feb. 27: INDIANA

SLAY HEAVYWEIGHTS (go 2-6; currently 0-6)
Dec. 8: MICHIGAN STATE (LOST)
Jan. 4: ILLINOIS (LOST)
Jan. 12: @ Michigan State (LOST)
Jan. 27: OHIO STATE (LOST)
Jan. 30 @ Wisconsin (LOST)
Feb. 2: PURDUE (LOST)
Feb. 15: @ Ohio State
Feb. 23: WISCONSIN

Sigh.

Updated through loss @ Iowa. Gophers currently 11-9, 2-9 in Big Ten. Current NET ranking (through Sunday) is #91.

With the Alcorn game canceled, the number of wins needed to be locked & loaded for an at-large bid before heading to Indy for the Big Ten Tournament is (Hey) 19. Iowa is pretty much a must-win in terms of having any chance (albeit slight) at sniffing 19 wins.

MUST WIN AT HOME (go 8-0; currently 6-0)
Nov. 9: KANSAS CITY (WON)
Nov. 19: PURDUE FORT WAYNE (WON)
Nov. 24: JACKSONVILLE (WON)
Dec. 14: TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI (WON)
Dec. 22: GREEN BAY (WON)
Jan. 22: RUTGERS (WON)
Feb. 12: PENN STATE
Feb. 19: NORTHWESTERN

MAN UP, GET THESE ROAD WINS (go 3-2; currently 1-0)
Nov. 30: @ Pitt (WON)
Feb. 9: @ Nebraska
Feb. 17: @ Penn State
March 2: @ Maryland
March 6: @ Northwestern

50/50 BALLS (go 6-2; currently 4-3)
Nov. 12: vs. Western Kentucky (WON)
Nov. 14: vs. Princeton (WON)
Dec. 5: @ Mississippi State (WON)
Dec. 11: @ Michigan (WON)
Jan. 9: @ Indiana (LOST)
Jan. 16: IOWA (LOST)
Feb. 6: @ Iowa (LOST)
Feb. 27: INDIANA

SLAY HEAVYWEIGHTS (go 2-6; currently 0-6)
Dec. 8: MICHIGAN STATE (LOST)
Jan. 4: ILLINOIS (LOST)
Jan. 12: @ Michigan State (LOST)
Jan. 27: OHIO STATE (LOST)
Jan. 30 @ Wisconsin (LOST)
Feb. 2: PURDUE (LOST)
Feb. 15: @ Ohio State
Feb. 23: WISCONSIN
Props for continuing to post this but at this point it would take a miracle for this team to earn an NCAA tournament bid.

Props for continuing to post this but at this point it would take a miracle for this team to earn an NCAA tournament bid.
Thanks, agreed, not happening.

I was asked to to start this thread after the surprising unbeaten non-conference performance, so out of respect for the fine folks at Gopher Hole I'll carry it out to the end! Still think this team taps out at max of 5 conference wins.

Top Bottom