SI's 50 greatest players in NBA history (#49. Former Gopher, Kevin McHale)

Bird, Magic and Russell are way to high and Shaq is to low.

On my list you have to be a complete player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaq's ahead of Olajuwon (granted just by one place), but Hakeem was about as complete of a player as you can have. A quadruple double is damn near impossible...and The Dream did it twice.

Shaq's ahead of Olajuwon (granted just by one place), but Hakeem was about as complete of a player as you can have. A quadruple double is damn near impossible...and The Dream did it twice.

Olajuwon should be right behind Kareem, Russell was one dimensional (all defense) Olajuwon, Kareem and Shaq would eat Russell's lunch.

Olajuwon should be right behind Kareem, Russell was one dimensional (all defense) Olajuwon, Kareem and Shaq would eat Russell's lunch.

For the record, I hated Olajuwon when I was growing up (I was always a Ewing guy, going back to Georgetown), but looking back on it, I really appreciate just how good The Dream was. If I have to pick one on the list that I disagree with the most, it's Wade at 24. I'm not even sure he's Top 50.

Wade too high. No pistol Pete?

Your statements are contradictory here, my man. Bird and Magic were two of the most complete players ever (bested perhaps only by Oscar and LeBron), and Shaq was fairly one-dimensional. If anything, Bird is way too low - I don't recall seeing many greatest player lists with him outside of the top 5.

34 is too low for KG, who is one of very few to average 20 pts, 10+ reb and 5+ assists for 5 consecutive years.

All those centers you mentioned above pale in comparison to Wilt. He could do whatever he wanted. Could have led the league in any statistic he wished except FT accuracy.

Wade too high. No pistol Pete?

Pistol Pete had a much better college career than NBA career. Just a 5 time All Star. Guys like Andre Miller and Rasheed Wallace have more career points than him.

Your statements are contradictory here, my man. Bird and Magic were two of the most complete players ever (bested perhaps only by Oscar and LeBron), and Shaq was fairly one-dimensional. If anything, Bird is way too low - I don't recall seeing many greatest player lists with him outside of the top 5.

Neither could guard their position; which makes them one dimensional.

Shaq was dominate on offense and a decent defender in an era of few to no dominate big men. However he could guard his position. Bird seldom to never guarded other small forwards and Magic was the same with other point guards.

34 is too low for KG, who is one of very few to average 20 pts, 10+ reb and 5+ assists for 5 consecutive years.

All those centers you mentioned above pale in comparison to Wilt. He could do whatever he wanted. Could have led the league in any statistic he wished except FT accuracy.

Sure....playing against non athletic 6'8 inch centers or the great non scoring Bill Russell.

Regulated to his own era, yes, Wilt should be number 1 on the list. All time? Nope, he is behind Kareem, Olajuwon and Shaq and possible Moses Malone.

Top Bottom