"SIMPLE AND ONE-DIMENSIONAL"

Reaction score
On Big Ten Live, in discussing whether Minnesota will be able to run on Michigan, the analyst opined we will not be able to run effectively on Saturday. He then stated that our offense was "too simple and one-dimensional". Also, a blurb at screen bottom said we are ranked 108th in nation with only 2 TD passes. Man this is tough to swallow. I hope we make some progress this Saturday, win or lose.

I kind of agree. our offense has been simple and one-dimensional. the question I have is where is the offense from the bowl game? who have we lost on the offense that we had last year at the bowl game? one WR and one linemen and one TE i think.

will we run better against Michigan? I think we have shown that we can pass but we are bad at it. that is a small step better than what Iowa had to game plan with.

nothing woudl make me happier than a Jug coming back to Minneapolis.

Many of us figured this out after week 2...

It's amazing how simple our play book has been this Season...

One thing to ponder is that three years ago Kill & Co. were coaching Northern Illinois, which was good then and even better since. They must have done something right. Maybe it's a talent problem at Minnesota - or a recruiting problem. We should have a QB who can throw the ball in the B10, ditto a running back - and a few receivers by now.

I kind of agree. our offense has been simple and one-dimensional. the question I have is where is the offense from the bowl game? who have we lost on the offense that we had last year at the bowl game? one WR and one linemen and one TE i think.

will we run better against Michigan? I think we have shown that we can pass but we are bad at it. that is a small step better than what Iowa had to game plan with.

nothing woudl make me happier than a Jug coming back to Minneapolis.

I keep seeing people ask this and it is amazing to me that they can't figure out the answer. Texas Tech had a horrible run defense. We ran on them the same way we ran on the smaller non-conf opponents. Problem is when we run up against a team that actually has the ability to stop the run and doesn't fall for all the read option stuff we do, the offense goes away.

I'd say we've been a little unlucky with our pass game recruiting. Nelson is proving himself pretty inaccurate and our best receiver was originally a walk-on.

I'd say we've been a little unlucky with our pass game recruiting. Nelson is proving himself pretty inaccurate and our best receiver was originally a walk-on.

playbook gets its cover ripped off this weekend! skiumah em-eff-errs!

only thing that i dont like on offense is we dont use the whole width of the field. i thought we played into iowa's strengths by loading up the los and going at their front 7. i dont know why we dont spread the field a little more? we could still have 2 tight ends in the game but move max over to the slot. move guys wider so its hard to put 7-9 guys in the box. if we had the horses up front to move guys where ever we wanted i would agree with just pounding on them. but it was obvious after the first and second series that we werent going to just bull doze iowa. i only watched the first 3 quarters so maybe we tried something a little different in the 4th, but from the bitching it was the same old offense. hope we arent that stubborn on saturday

On Big Ten Live, in discussing whether Minnesota will be able to run on Michigan, the analyst opined we will not be able to run effectively on Saturday. He then stated that our offense was "too simple and one-dimensional". Also, a blurb at screen bottom said we are ranked 108th in nation with only 2 TD passes. Man this is tough to swallow. I hope we make some progress this Saturday, win or lose.

eh, yep. That's pretty spot on, even for BTL. Limegrover's making lots of fans already this year.

I keep seeing people ask this and it is amazing to me that they can't figure out the answer. Texas Tech had a horrible run defense. We ran on them the same way we ran on the smaller non-conf opponents. Problem is when we run up against a team that actually has the ability to stop the run and doesn't fall for all the read option stuff we do, the offense goes away.

MNVCGUY - I have been asking this question. For me, at least, I'm not referring to the run as much as the multiple sets, motion, misdirection, screen passes, etc. Things that spread the field and then opened things up further down field (and the run more). It is about making the defense defend more of the field, IMO (rather than just loading the box). We saw it all non-conf from lesser teams with the quick slants and bubble screens. What we did in the Bowl Game was VERY different than the running we did in our 4 non-conference games. It amazes me that you don't see that.

MNVCGUY - I have been asking this question. For me, at least, I'm not referring to the run as much as the multiple sets, motion, misdirection, screen passes, etc. Things that spread the field and then opened things up further down field (and the run more). It is about making the defense defend more of the field, IMO (rather than just loading the box). We saw it all non-conf from lesser teams with the quick slants and bubble screens. What we did in the Bowl Game was VERY different than the running we did in our 4 non-conference games. It amazes me that you don't see that.

Fairness in conversation I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to specific formations and what not. I just know the thing that made the offense work in the bowl game was that we ran the ball. Seems to me if there were things that worked in the bowl game and the coaching staff felt they had the personnel to execute it now they would stick with it. I don't have the time or desire to go back and rewatch the bowl game again to look for the things we are not doing that we did in that game, will just have to take your word for it.

The one thing I will say is that I think the bowl game performance has gotten overblown since it was so much better than what we saw during Big Ten play but not positive it was a great performance in the grand scheme of things.

Running against passing leagues and non-conf versus lining up against the big boys.

It is much easier to run and play physical against non-conference opponents and against spread teams that are heavily used in the big 12 and pac 12, period!! Because you can be successful one game does not mean you can do the same against big ten or sec teams. Two different worlds. Does everyone think we magically schemed our way to being able to be phyisical and run in the bowl game?

Fairness in conversation I don't spend a lot of time paying attention to specific formations and what not. I just know the thing that made the offense work in the bowl game was that we ran the ball. Seems to me if there were things that worked in the bowl game and the coaching staff felt they had the personnel to execute it now they would stick with it. I don't have the time or desire to go back and rewatch the bowl game again to look for the things we are not doing that we did in that game, will just have to take your word for it.

The one thing I will say is that I think the bowl game performance has gotten overblown since it was so much better than what we saw during Big Ten play but not positive it was a great performance in the grand scheme of things.

Even though Nelson hails from Mankato, isn't his real lineage through Buckyville, or some such chucky cheddar hamlet.

Top Bottom