Similarities and differences

DL65

Reaction score
After reading the many threads, blogs, and articles related to Minnesota's search for a new head coach, I recall some similarities and differences from this search and the one conducted in 1983. Both seasons were disastrous, although this year's contingent has been in many more games and have not folded (hoping for a victory Saturday against the Hawks). By mid-season we knew that a coaching change was imminent, just as it was in 1983.

One big difference, I don't recall that an outside search firm was contracted in 1983. I also don't believe the interest or coverage of the search in 1983 was all that great. Times, of course, including the internet and the many blogs are factors in the change. What coverage there was in 1983 seemed to focus on the disinterest in the coaching fraternity about the Minnesota coaching position. Les Steckel, among others, publicly said they weren't interested. There were a lot of jokes about Minnesota being unable to find a coach. And then the unexpected happened in the third week of December. Internal turmoil at the University of Arkansas broke out and Lou Holtz suddenly was available and then signed on with the Gophers. There was great excitement and coverage when his hiring was announced.

We've seen the speculative lists that have been promoted and discussed. For me, it's been interesting to read and contemplate, not unlike recruiting stories. Nevertheless, I wonder if the next coach to accept the challenge of coaching the Gophers is someone no one has discussed or speculated about. Timelines may turn out to be similar to that of the 1983 search as well. Time will tell, however.

Go Gophers!!

One more big difference. Harvey Mackay was involved in the process of selling the job to Holtz, and it was a hard sell. I am not convinced we have the right people selling the job this time. I hope I am wrong.

DL65, I remember it similarily. I had just moved down to DSM for work out of grad school, and the hiring of the Hoaxter came totally out of the blue. I believe Steckel was informally offered the job and indicated no interest. I hope the silence this time indicates the potential hiring of another big time candidate who is off of oru collective radar screen. And hopefully it works out better for us than the Hoaxter ever did. Though it was remarkable how quickly a 1-10 team became compettive again under Lou H.!

Anderson8284, it's good to see you posting again. There are several others that haven't contributed for awhile and hopefully they'll be rejoining us again.

MNHerb, right you are about Harvey MacKay. I wonder if he'll be called on to sell the U and the Twin Cities to the finalist?

Also, another big diffference: Paul Giel, Minnesota's AD in 1983, was hospitalized with his ill-fated heart condition. So, I don't know how much he was involved in the ongoing search that fall. Now, of course, Maturi has been involved since day one. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Go Gophers!!

You may be right about the next coach being someone no one has discussed. Maturi even admitted that one coach who expressed interest is someone who no one is talking about. Surprised there hasn't been any more speculation about that. I think the fact none of the media types have added any names or actually know who this is says a lot about how little they actually know.

Thanks, DL65!

Hey DL65! Appreciations. still lurk a fair amount.......

Combination of things. My wife and I had to spend a lot of time on her mother's illness, and ultimate passing. Sad, but one of those things a lot of us deal with in our early 50's. Also, with the early retirement programs in our State, work has been a bear with our level of vacancies and ARRA stuff, and somehow I have gravitated from field engineer to review engineer to supervisory "suit". Never really saw that coming. I suspect you've had some similar experiences as you moved up the law enf. ladder and into the political realm. It's not all bad, but the time just seems to get eaten away.....

Also, I've just been a bit grouchy. Tough FB year. A lot of us older fans do probably feel a little like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football, but I suspect most folks that post here are of the get depressed, but never give up types! There is also a little bit of generational grouchiness going on too I think. Some of the newer posters have just struck me the wrong way, which i honestly suspect is more my own grouchiness than their tone. I'm working on it! Gopher BB success frankly has been helping, and I just hope we get a good FB coach!

Condolences, Anderson8284

My condolences to you and your wife on the passing of her mother. Even when expected, death is a shock and it's never easy to say good-bye.

Your example of Charlie Brown and Lucy, as it relates to Gopher football, is a good one! That said, hope springs eternal and I keep looking forward to championship ball again. I've been following the Gophers since 1955 and I'm not about to quit now. The multiple disappointments that Gopher teams and fans have experienced will make the championships in the future that much sweeter.

But first, the right guy has got to be hired and the culture of losing or mediocrity must be changed.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom