Sid: U coach Brewster will be back in 2010

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the column:

"He's our football coach, and I expect him to be our football coach," Maturi said. "There's always issues there. You know me -- I don't like to be dishonest. And I don't want to be [Alabama coach] Nick Saban and say 'yes,' and then two weeks later say 'no.' But I expect [Brewster] to be our football coach.

"I think you've got two more games to decide that. I'm excited about the passion and the energy that he's brought to this program. I think we have better football players overall than we've had in the past.

"We've beaten three bowl teams [Michigan State, Northwestern, Air Force], and every team that's beat us is going to a bowl except Illinois. I want to see the whole season, and that's the aspect. Everybody's balancing on last week's game and the Illinois game, the last two games, and that's not fair. He needs to be judged over the whole body of work, and we're going in the right direction. I want to look at the whole picture, that's the point I'm trying to make."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

I don't know a lot, but I do know this: Since it is Sid reporting this, I'd be a little worried if I was Brew.

Sid quote Maturi correctly? Interesting when he says "There's always issues there" ... what does that mean exactly? ... those quotes make me say Hmmm ... He could've said, "I hired him, and he'll absolutely be back in 2010. He deserves at least a 4th year and I want him to able to coach his a huge majority of his own guys." ... instead he goes with "expect" and cites issues always being there ... certainly makes me wonder.

Sid quote Maturi correctly? Interesting when he says "There's always issues there" ... what does that mean exactly? ... those quotes make me say Hmmm ... He could've said, "I hired him, and he'll absolutely be back in 2010. He deserves at least a 4th year and I want him to able to coach his a huge majority of his own guys." ... instead he goes with "expect" and cites issues always being there ... certainly makes me wonder.

you make me wonder doogie. so predictable. :rolleyes:

Bronko -- Reading those Maturi quotes didn't make you pause and think? How can you read those quotes and be convinced that Maturi is 100% behind Brewster?

No, I've actually taken the time to ask Maturi about this. And I'm not even a reporter who's job it is to try and understand these things. His message has always been the same, he conducts this phase of employee evaluations after the season, and that there is always room for improvement. Brew will be judged on whether the program is improving or not, end of story.

Once again when given the choice you choose the negative. wow.

Schnoodler -- Journalism 101: Why is this person lying to me ... while being a good guy, do you think Maturi was being 100% truthful with you?

(Maturi's) message has always been the same, he conducts this phase of employee evaluations after the season, and that there is always room for improvement. Brew will be judged on whether the program is improving or not, end of story.

I read it like this: Brewster will be our coach in 2010 unless we get blown-out by Iowa again and lose in embarassing fashion in our bowl game again (except this time in the Motor City Bowl), AND someone high-profile and experienced calls Maturi out-of-the-blue and says they want the job. Unlikely those three things happen.

If Brewster gets fired it will probably happen 360-days from now... not 42. I'm sure Maturi has learned that you don't seach for a HC in January. You fire early, get the search started the same day, and give an assistant (probably Cosgrove) the interim position for the rest of the season.

I can't relate to the morbid fascination some people have with firing coaches. It's a huge portion of all sports opinion/ sports talk. But it is a LCD topic. People who talk coaching change usually do it because they don't understand enough to have a POV on anything else related to the sport. Doogie, unfortunately, seems willing to pander to these people.

Goldmember -- We all would be delusional to not think there is some stuff going on behind the scenes ... then to read a quote like that from the boss ... it becomes a talker ... Maturi easily could've said, "Brewster is my coach in 2010. End of discussion." Instead, he went in a different direction ... thus, it starts conversations.

So what did Maturi say when you asked him about this Doogie?

My own interpretation of Maturi's comments is that Brewster could be fired if something unexpected happens between now and the end of the season. For example, what if Brewster takes his team to Iowa and they come out completely unprepared, uninterested, and frankly quit like they did last year? I would think that would have huge implications on Coach Brewster's status. What if their was a significant off the field incident between now and the end of the season? That would be another scenario where Maturi might end up doing something he currently does not expect to (fire Brewster).

Odds are very good that the Gophers will, at worst, play a competitive game on the scoreboard on Saturday. A win would be huge for Brewster at this point in his tenure. I really hope he gets it done.

Joel may be best advised to simply say "we'll discuss contract extensions at the end of the year" and be done with it. No need to go into great detail on this right now. The only thing it accomplishes is creates more discussion and muddies the waters. That isn't good for the program right now.

I respect Joel's need to be honest and tell the story, but there are certain things that he needs to be vague about and this is clearly one of them. Don't spill your guts on this.

I'm sick of Doogie prancing around here like his opinion means more than other people's. He's a glorified blogger who has slightly more access than a handful of people on this board. He gets all haughty and quotes from journalism 101 and then goes and stirs the pot in a message board forum. Seriously why does everyone in this town with the least amount of a 'sports voice' have it in for this program. You don't care about it...just leave us alone.

Goldmember -- We all would be delusional to not think there is some stuff going on behind the scenes ... then to read a quote like that from the boss ... it becomes a talker ... Maturi easily could've said, "Brewster is my coach in 2010. End of discussion." Instead, he went in a different direction ... thus, it starts conversations.

I agree. The "there's always issues" bit is something worth discussing. It's just an odd thing to say. I don't think one must necessarily have a negative bias toward Brewster or the program to recognize that. Hell, I see it and four days ago I was called out for being too mean to the anti-Brewster crowd.

Does it mean Brewster is going to be gone? Absolutely not. But it seems Maturi has left himself with some wiggle room, which is probably the appropriate play to make from his standpoint. Barring ignominious meltdowns and abject humiliation in Iowa City and Phoenix/Detroit, Brewster will absolutely be back next year, as he should be.

So what did Maturi say when you asked him about this Doogie?

Nothing ... nor would he on the record ... and I don't know Joel well at all, so I have no idea if he talks to anyone on background or not ... all I know is there are people talking on campus ... we would be foolish not to at least discuss in this forum ... still think, and will continue to think this even if they lose their last 2-games, that he should get a 4th year.

Nothing ... nor would he on the record ... and I don't know Joel well at all, so I have no idea if he talks to anyone on background or not ... all I know is there are people talking on campus ... we would be foolish not to at least discuss in this forum ... still think, and will continue to think this even if they lose their last 2-games, that he should get a 4th year.

Give us a taste for who the "people talking on campus" are. You can't throw that nugget out there without some context.

I'm sick of Doogie prancing around here like his opinion means more than other people's. He's a glorified blogger who has slightly more access than a handful of people on this board. He gets all haughty and quotes from journalism 101 and then goes and stirs the pot in a message board forum. Seriously why does everyone in this town with the least amount of a 'sports voice' have it in for this program. You don't care about it...just leave us alone.

We get it ... your moniker says it all ... if you want, you can definitely block me, and not see my responses ... I am a fan like everyone else, but one that has expectations and have been very, very lucky and fortunate to have access/relationships that allow me to have a good base of information ... as hard as it might be to believe, I have no agenda ... I think no matter what the rest of the way outside of some sort of off the field catastrophe that he deserves to be back.

Give us a taste for who the "people talking on campus" are. You can't throw that nugget out there without some context.

Hard to explain full context ... and I don't know yet the extent of the conversations ... but following seeing the empty seats, signs, and the vitriol that was thrown at the Gophers bench on Sat. by many fans who were sitting right there, some team reps standing right there responded by the way, the talk has at least come up ... maybe all the conversations are super quick, and result in -- even at $800,000 the buyout is too big, or (like how I think) he deserves 2010 to have a chance to coach up all of his own guys ... Gray could start at QB next year, or even if Adam does, 98% of the starters next year will be Brew guys.

But, much like this board and the fanbase in general, there are boosters/people in the athletic department who aren't happy ... and some who probably get that this is a process.

Hard to explain full context ... and I don't know yet the extent of the conversations ... but following seeing the empty seats, signs, and the vitriol that was thrown at the Gophers bench on Sat. by many fans who were sitting right there, some team reps standing right there responded by the way, the talk has at least come up ... maybe all the conversations are super quick, and result in -- even at $800,000 the buyout is too big, or (like how I think) he deserves 2010 to have a chance to coach up all of his own guys ... Gray could start at QB next year, or even if Adam does, 98% of the starters next year will be Brew guys.

But, much like this board and the fanbase in general, there are boosters/people in the athletic department who aren't happy ... and some who probably get that this is a process.

I've experienced the vitriol and crap spewed at the Gopher bench firsthand, suprise, at the MSU game, probably our best game to date. These "fans" are nothing but whiny rich folks with ties to the UofM, none cheered, none got into the rouser chants or Hail Minnesota, they just bi*^&tched the whole game, even when we were up by 14 or more, they were the folks who led the boos going into the locker room that night. Pathetic. If we decide to end Brewster's tenor over those people, I want nothing to do with it. These people are THE problem with gopher football fans, no energy, no enthusiasm, no support, but yet they come to games expecting to entertained and win by 50. Really sick.

He could get blown out the next two games and he will still be back.

There is a 100% chance he returns, so long as only on-the-field criteria are used.

As for off-the-field criteria: every coach can get canned at any given moment for that. In this respect, Brewster's situation is much like everybody else.

So when did we start taking what Sid writes seriously? I thought he was just a meaningless homer? Same goes for Doogie, but he is the anti-homer. Only time Doogie shows up is when there is something negative to say about Brew. :confused:

if you want to use the "people talking on campus" comment, i will as well! i have heard from a lot of people "who are talking on campus" who are saying alipate is going to be the guy in the future and not gray. although i really doubt this..."people on campus" have brought it up to me.

I've been on here non-stop since they brought me aboard in May, except for the time I took off around our wedding/honeymoon ... in other words, was on here following wins over Syr., AF, NW, and Purdue ... and have offered plenty of praise ... my love for Weber can never be questioned, and I have defended Fisch a lot, etc...
And funny on the anti-homer comment, because on my startribune site, there are comments saying I drink the maroon-and-gold Kool-Aid.

"People in the office" have been talking about how we shouldn't have fired Mason.

Then I smack them in the face.

How can anyone read anything into what Maturi says? When has he ever given a definitve statement on anything? If you asked him Tubby Smith's status, his quote would be 90% the same. It means nothing one way or another IMO.

Top Bottom