Sid: Pitcher Max Meyer appears likely to go straight from Gophers to majors

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Former Gophers pitcher Max Meyer already made history this year when he was selected No. 3 overall by the Miami Marlins, matching Paul Molitor as the highest draft pick in Gophers history.

But now the Woodbury native has a chance to do something that very few players in the history of baseball have accomplished: Skip the minor leagues and pitch in the majors in his first professional season.

There’s no doubt this will be a one-of-a-kind MLB season, but the fact is that when the Marlins put together their 60-man roster for this season, Meyer was on the list. He’s the only Miami rookie to make the 60-man roster.

There is a very good chance he will pitch this season as teams play a lot of games with few days off. No player has gone straight to the majors since pitcher Mike Leake, who was drafted in 2009.

Meyer told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel this past week that he is adjusting to the big change in his life.

“I haven’t been away from home much,” Meyer said. “It’s definitely a little weird, but I feel like I’m adjusting pretty good right now. But anything I ever need, my parents always have my back.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom