Sid on Pitino: "he is not going to get fired."

Pitino was on Sid's show on Sunday. short segment - only about 5 minutes.

Sid opened by asking Pitino for his opinion on the NCAA tournament. Pitino talked about the upsets, and why the first two days of the tournament are so popular.

Sid to Pitino: why do you think next year's team will be better? Pitino answered by mainly talking about the two transfer players; said both could start, and said Lynch will be a difference-maker. Also referenced a number of players returning, and the incoming freshmen. Said this will be the deepest team he's had at the U, and the most talented.

Sid asked about the status of the 3 suspended players. Pitino said the players have been on Spring Break. This week, he will sit down with the players and discuss their situation. This may be reading between the lines, but I got the sense that all three will be back.

Then, a classic Sid moment: "Tell us about the transfers." (this was maybe 3 minutes after Pitino just got done talking about the transfers. Pitino handled it well, re-iterating the qualities that each player will bring to the team.

Sid closed by predicting the Gophers will have a winning record next season.

I try not to speak ill of the elderly, but this is Sid. This is the most delusional wishing that Sid has ever been. The Gophers will be lucky to be .450 in B1G Conference play. Unless the guard play improves immensely (scoring pct north of 65%) and the big men can control the boards (ave of 20 Def & 20 Off rebounds), we will see a repeat of this year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I try not to speak ill of the elderly, but this is Sid. This is the most delusional wishing that Sid has ever been. The Gophers will be lucky to be .450 in B1G Conference play. Unless the guard play improves immensely (scoring pct north of 65%) and the big men can control the boards (ave of 20 Def & 20 Off rebounds), we will see a repeat of this year.

The Big Ten leader in offensive rebounds per game this year was Iowa at 12.4.

Well, if our shooters miss as badly as they did this year, I think it is possible we could average 20, but then again we have to have big men who want to get rebounds.

Well, if our shooters miss as badly as they did this year, I think it is possible we could average 20, but then again we have to have big men who want to get rebounds.

I put the chances of this happening at exactly 0%. Even so, being good at offensive rebounding doesn't necessarily mean success. The country's leader this year was Quinnipiac who went 9-21. Meanwhile Northern Iowa is last in the country and they could be on their way to the Sweet 16.

I put the chances of this happening at exactly 0%. Even so, being good at offensive rebounding doesn't necessarily mean success. The country's leader this year was Quinnipiac who went 9-21. Meanwhile Northern Iowa is last in the country and they could be on their way to the Sweet 16.

Try not to confuse Ewert in his campaign. "Scoring pct north of 65%" "20 def & 20 off rebounds" and, the best, "A repeat of this year." I know I'm impressed with his basketball acumen.

I'd also add that the 2012-13 Gophers were #5 in the country in offensive rebounding, and they were pretty good, but obviously not great.

Also looking back to 2009-10, Quinnipiac has been top 10 in the country in offensive rebounding every year but one, in which they were 14th. Their coach must place a very high priority on it for some reason or another.

Either Ewert is trolling, or he's on some hard drugs. Not sure which.

I'd also add that the 2012-13 Gophers were #5 in the country in offensive rebounding, and they were pretty good, but obviously not great.

Also looking back to 2009-10, Quinnipiac has been top 10 in the country in offensive rebounding every year but one, in which they were 14th. Their coach must place a very high priority on it for some reason or another.

Offensive rebounding often goes along with poor shooting percentage. aka: more opportunities

Let's hope we get a large increase in our shooting percentages and a big increase in offensive/defensive rebound percentage which is a more indicative stat about how many rebounds you gather in relation to how many are available. When the Gophers were 5th in rebounding, I remember them leading the NCAA if offensive rebound percentage.

And there is no way they can do worse than this year! Just the presence of a defensive big man in the middle will help immensely.

I take it their transition defense isn't very good

Either Ewert is trolling, or he's on some hard drugs. Not sure which.
So I'm either onto something or on something? Now if I only could stop three putying.....

Try not to confuse Ewert in his campaign. "Scoring pct north of 65%" "20 def & 20 off rebounds" and, the best, "A repeat of this year." I know I'm impressed with his basketball acumen.
Regardless of MY acumen, YOUR acumen should tell you that those numbers are higher than what we did this year. Even if you don't believe that statistics tell the whole story of a team, which I don't, you do have to realize that we have to get better at making shots and we can't rely solely on Jordan Murphy grabbing all the key rebounds.

Regardless of MY acumen, YOUR acumen should tell you that those numbers are higher than what we did this year. Even if you don't believe that statistics tell the whole story of a team, which I don't, you do have to realize that we have to get better at making shots and we can't rely solely on Jordan Murphy grabbing all the key rebounds.

My acumen tells me not to throw statistics out of my ass.

My acumen tells me not to throw statistics out of my ass.
So much for aspiring to be a color commentator on a sports broadcast.[emoji14]

Top Bottom