Sid on Gophers football walk-ons

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"In Gophers football news, punting was a big problem for the squad last year, and coach Jerry Kill has added two walk-ons who will compete for that spot this season. Christian Eldred is a kicker from Australia who will arrive on July 25 and is expected to be eligible this year, and Kyle Fodness, who was an outstanding kicker and multisport athlete for Bemidji high school.

Other walk-ons who will definitely be members of the squad when school starts include defensive backs Cedric Dicke from Cannon Falls, Cavonte Johnson from Edina, Ben Holcomb of Germantown, Wis., defensive lineman Tyler Hartmann from Andover, athletes John McKelvey, of Hunting Valley, Ohio, Jackson Miller of Okemos, Mich., and offensive lineman Augustine Pupungatoa, of River Falls, Wis. Also expected to walk on is Hunter Friesen, the favorite receiver of Phil Nelson, the Gophers freshman quarterback, while both attended Mankato West High School."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/163128106.html

Go Gophers!!

Sid sometimes gets things turned around and this may be the case with Christian Eldred. I remember watching film of him and he is rugby player who they project as a punter not a kicker. Kyle Fodness is was a soccer player who came in as senior after the regular kicker was injured and did quite well. One of the things I like about Jerry is that when he has a problem he will go to great lengths to solve it. That is certainly the case with punting where he went as far as Australia.

Sid sometimes gets things turned around and this may be the case with Christian Eldred. I remember watching film of him and he is rugby player who they project as a punter not a kicker. Kyle Fodness is was a soccer player who came in as senior after the regular kicker was injured and did quite well. One of the things I like about Jerry is that when he has a problem he will go to great lengths to solve it. That is certainly the case with punting where he went as far as Australia.

Don’t exaggerate! Sid always gets things mixed up.

Well, that Australian kid looked good on film at least. I wondered what happened with him and nice to see him make his way here as a walk on.

Good article despite getting some things mixed up.

It's nice to see these walk-ons get a little attention in the media. I think it's a decent group (from the players that I've seen).

Dicke's tape looked good. Johnson and Friesen were impressive athletes in HS. I've never seen HArtmann play but I know prior to his injury, people were talking about him being a MAC level athlete (recruiting wise), which is pretty good for a walkon.

They are all kickers. Some kickers are punters. Some kickers are placekickers. The ball gets kicked.

Not exactly. On the official Gopher roster you are either a kicker or a punter (See link below).

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html

I meant "in football," like high school, college, and in the pros--not the Gopher roster. "Kicker" is the term for anyone who kicks the football. "Punter" and "placekicker" are the separate football definitions. It seems that the media has shortened "placekicker" over the years to save print room. The official position is "place kicker" or "place-kicker". That has never changed.

Example:

"In 1992, The Palm Beach County Sports Commission established the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker award. This award, presented for a number of years by the FedEx Orange Bowl, is given annually to the nation's top collegiate place-kicker as determined by a voting panel of Division 1 head coaches, sports writers and sportscasters from across the county, conference representatives, professional kickers and previous winners.

The Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award has become the most prestigious college football award for kickers."

Sid, naturally, uses the generic term because that's what he has used for 92 years.

Back to matter at hand, here are the Eldred videos (only can show one direct video per post, also two links)

ProKick Video

Directional Punting

One thing that should be noted is that Australian "punters" in Aussie Football have to be good markers (ball catchers) and have to be far more accurate that American football kickers. This should be interesting.

Top Bottom