Sid: Nearly a disaster

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Nearly a disaster

If the Gophers hadn’t come back to beat Rutgers on an Emmit Carpenter’s field goal in the final seconds — to beat a team that lost 58-0 to Ohio State and 78-0 to Michigan — it would have set the program back a long, long way.

The only positive thing to consider from Saturday’s result is that Rutgers did press Iowa earlier this season, losing just 14-7 at home Sept. 24, so the Scarlet Knights have been competitive in conference play before. They also lost to Illinois 24-7.

But for the Gophers to give up 32 points to a team that had scored only 14 points all season in the Big Ten, that’s a bad sign going into Illinois next weekend.

Coach Tracy Claeys was asked if the team simply started to look past Rutgers after jumping to a 21-3 first-quarter lead.

“That’s probably a good conclusion after the way it ended up,” Claeys said. “I say kids have to learn that you play in the Big Ten and it doesn’t matter [the opponent]. They’re going through the rebuilding process like we did at one time. Their kids play hard, [Rutgers] coach [Chris] Ash does a nice job. I guess we thought if we got up that big that [Rutgers] would get on the bus and go home. That was disappointing, obviously, to give up that big of a lead. But at the same time, we did find a way to get back and win, and we’ll go to work on our problems. We do this and the kids, there’s no such thing as a bad win. They’re all good. We made the plays we needed to make at the end and we’re back to 2-2 in the Big Ten and looking forward to next week.”

http://www.startribune.com/pat-shurmur-s-ties-to-sam-bradford-go-back-beyond-philadelphia/398058321/

Go Gophers!!

I thought this was going to be about him barely making it to the restroom in time.

Top Bottom