Sid merntioned Spring Football at the high school level....what is this?

wait!what?

Reaction score
Southern highschools play football in the spring? Full schedule football with championships or just practices similar to college? I googled it but came up with game info for every HS team with Spring in the name.

Southern highschools play football in the spring? Full schedule football with championships or just practices similar to college? I googled it but came up with game info for every HS team with Spring in the name.

It's not state-athletic-association football, but they practice and have 7-on-7. Not sure how widespread 7-on-7 is in the Northern states, but it's pretty big down south. It's very AAU-esque, from what I can tell and what I've heard.

I've also seen it mentioned that they have "jamborees" down south where something like 8 teams gather in the same location - which allows recruiters see and evaluate several high schools in one day.

I can understand if it is a type of football camp for kids to gain additional coaching. They must pay the coaches more than the ones up here cuz the off season is considered much too short for a couple of coaches I know.

Why don't "us" northern states do this? I assume there is some reason, but with the way we always play the 'woe is me' card for the lack of h.s. talent in Minnesota this seems like a pretty simple solution...

It's not state-athletic-association football, but they practice and have 7-on-7. Not sure how widespread 7-on-7 is in the Northern states, but it's pretty big down south. It's very AAU-esque, from what I can tell and what I've heard.

We played in a 7-on-7 league at Crown College when I was in high school. I went to probably the smallest school in MN with a FB team and we'd beat up on the big boys like Minnetonka. It was fun to see Dave Nelson and his 8 coaches try to beat a bunch players from a school no one has ever heard of.

Why don't "us" northern states do this? I assume there is some reason, but with the way we always play the 'woe is me' card for the lack of h.s. talent in Minnesota this seems like a pretty simple solution...

Maybe it is because northern high schools stress multi-sport athletes? We also stress education and the classroom unlike our inbred southern states. They can also practice outside for the majority of the spring. The summertime up here is big for camps and 7-on-7 tournaments and such.

We had spring practice when I played high school football. The WPIAL is very serious about high school football though.

I've also seen it mentioned that they have "jamborees" down south where something like 8 teams gather in the same location - which allows recruiters see and evaluate several high schools in one day.

The way the Jamborees work in Tallahassee is that each team plays two quarters against one team and two quarters against another team. As a result each team gets in a full game at the end of spring practice.

Minnesota has rules in place that actually allow for an incredible amount of additional time than the southern states. Minnesota's rules apply for after summer begins. We do have some pretty big 7 on 7 tournaments, not sure on the size compared to the South, but very similar to the 8 team jamborees mentioned above.

This is exactly what we need. At a very early age let's pigeonhole every kid in America into one sport to the exclusion of everything else in their life (including and particularly education). And then let's sit back and watch the one in a million kids succeed in sports beyond everyone's wildest imagination, and then try to deal with all those kids who finish their schooling without a clue what they are going to do with their lives and not enough education with which to do it.

Maybe it is because northern high schools stress multi-sport athletes? We also stress education and the classroom unlike our inbred southern states. They can also practice outside for the majority of the spring. The summertime up here is big for camps and 7-on-7 tournaments and such.

I see more than a few of the hockey parents out there stressing only one sport. It is the same thing just a different sport and not unique to the South.

Heard most football schools have football classes instead of normal classes for the last hour of the day.

In South Carolina, all high schools get 10 days of spring practice (6 with pads and 4 without). It is just like college except shorter. The 7v7 is more during the summer.

I see more than a few of the hockey parents out there stressing only one sport. It is the same thing just a different sport and not unique to the South.

Maybe because more countries play hockey all year around than football.

In Texas

In Texas, spring practice is an annual ritual. In the past couple of decades, 7 v 7 has become
very big during the summers.

I graduated in 2009 and when we were in HS, we didn't do spring fb because we all played other sports (I went to a smaller school). However during the early part of summer, we had the equivalent of spring practices where we worked on offensive and defensive 7on7-esque route running and defensive coverages. It then culminated in a big 7on7 tourney at UND where there's somewhere around 20 teams from the area. It was always a blast being from a 9 man school and laying beatings on the schools from Grand Forks and the bigger schools farther south.

Top Bottom