Sid: maybe Horton should be considered as Brewster's successor

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Sid:

"I'm sure I will get my share of criticism for even suggesting that athletic director Joel Maturi and the geniuses who will decide who the next coach will be, but maybe Horton should be considered as Brewster's successor if the Gophers can't find a big-name replacement. Horton has a lot of head coaching experience with a lot of success. And if you want my opinion, this staff is one of the best the Gophers have had with three coaches -- Horton, Tim Davis and Kevin Cosgrove -- who were at Wisconsin when the Badgers went to two Rose Bowls."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

I like Horton. I think he's a really good dude who obviously cares deeply for the players, even thought he's only been here for eight months.

With that said, we really need to blow the whole thing up and bring in a brand new regime.

From Sid:

And if you want my opinion, this staff is one of the best the Gophers have had with three coaches -- Horton, Tim Davis and Kevin Cosgrove -- who were at Wisconsin when the Badgers went to two Rose Bowls."

Preposterous statement of the year.

I don't think Sid has ever been out of the State of Minnesota. Come to good old Nebraska and see what they have to say about Cosgrove down here!

From Sid:

"I'm sure I will get my share of criticism for even suggesting that athletic director Joel Maturi and the geniuses who will decide who the next coach will be, but maybe Horton should be considered as Brewster's successor if the Gophers can't find a big-name replacement. Horton has a lot of head coaching experience with a lot of success. And if you want my opinion, this staff is one of the best the Gophers have had with three coaches -- Horton, Tim Davis and Kevin Cosgrove -- who were at Wisconsin when the Badgers went to two Rose Bowls."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

Yes, and also the Gophers and Vikings should STILL share a stadium. Please shut your pie hole, Sid.

He's had his consideration. His time as interim coach has essentially been a big job interview. It was a longshot, but if the Gophers had done really well, he could have been the next head coach. It's not going to happen though. He's going to land another job, either as OC somewhere, or HC at a lower level team.

OY - we win one game and suddenly this guy is all that and a bag of chips.

Just start over - no one stays.

And if you want my opinion, this staff is one of the best the Gophers have had with three coaches -- Horton, Tim Davis and Kevin Cosgrove -- who were at Wisconsin when the Badgers went to two Rose Bowls."

You have to remember, in Sid's world:

"Every current Minnesota coach is always one of the best coaches (The Gophers, The Vikings, The Twins, The Wild, or The Timberwolves) have ever had."

Horton's 1st win in like 17 years & Sid wants to crown him...

You have to remember, in Sid's world:

"Every current Minnesota coach is always one of the best coaches (The Gophers, The Vikings, The Twins, The Wild, or The Timberwolves) has ever had."

and Illinois is one of the best teams in the B10.....

I just thought of this. I wonder if Art Vandelay is really Sid saying what he really wants to say and not what he wants the public to hear him say.

Sid's column/sports reporters appearances have gone from uninformed, to hilariously ridiculous, to funny sad, to just sad. The strib should really do the guy a favor (and what legacy he may have remaining) and pull the plug on his column.

Where's the thread from yesterday on the over/under of when Sid would suggest this? My guess is one of Sid's bobos frequents the site and accommodated us in the column.

Sid's column/sports reporters appearances have gone from uninformed, to hilariously ridiculous, to funny sad, to just sad. The strib should really do the guy a favor (and what legacy he may have remaining) and pull the plug on his column.

With all due respect to Sid, I really wonder how long he would last if he were to 'retire'. His whole life seems to be about sports reporting and visiting with his 'sources'.

Give Jeff Horton an Additional Year as Interim Head Coach

and Illinois is one of the best teams in the B10.....

If we beat Iowa on 27 November 2010, I move that Jeff Horton's tenure as Interim Head Coach be extended through the 2011 football season. He should also be able to retain the coaching staff for an additional year. Firing and hiring left and right, and throwing big salaries at people rarely solves a systemic problem, and I think few of us will argue that Golden Gopher Football Program has not suffered from systemic problems since 1967, probably as early as 1960 (what year were the NFL Vikings chartered?). The new President of the University of Minnesota should have the opportunity after this 1+ year probationary period to ascertain if Jeff and his staff should stay with us for the long haul. Yes, I know, you are all going to yell about how this is going to negatively affect recruiting. I don't buy the argument. I don't think our recruiting will suffer materially, we are a Big Ten team, and there are plenty of young men who want to play Big Ten football, have only 3 stars or 2 stars, are highly talented, but cannot land a gig at OSU, PSU, or Michigan. In the grand scheme of things, even if it should turn out to be a weaker recruiting year, it does not matter much in the context of what has happened with our team since 1967. We can afford to wait one more year to see how much Jeff and his staff improve our team. He has had what, 3 or 4 weeks to tweak this team's strategy and tactics to his own liking? So finally he gets a win on 13 November 2010. I enjoyed it immensely. Normally Golden Gopher teams peak in the middle of the season, then suffer from injuries or other issues that result in a meltdown in November. I am hoping that Jeff is reversing this trend. If he indeed is reversing the trend, then I say give Jeff some more rope. Now go ahead and start yelling at me about how stupid this idea is.
Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan - 0
Minnesota - 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!

With all due respect to Sid, I really wonder how long he would last if he were to 'retire'. His whole life seems to be about sports reporting and visiting with his 'sources'.

He's always said that. That he can't retire and if he does, he'll be dead in a month. Sid will keep going until God says so, or until he does something that the Strib/CCO can't over-look. Neither has happened yet.

Is there a worse collection of sports writers anywhere in the country? I can't remember the last informative piece I have read in either paper. I still check out both papers online out of habit, but I wonder why I waste my time. I don't bother to read the consistently terrible opinion pieces and anything that's reported about the Gophers has usually been reported here first and the same goes for the Vikings with ProFootballTalk or the twitter feeds of Schefter/Mortensen/Glazer.

Top Bottom