Sid: Maturi rated Mike Grant's HC interview presentation the best after Mase firing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• There’s a fun fact about Mike Grant, in addition to Chip Scoggins’ interesting Sunday story about the Eden Prairie football coach. When former Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi rated presentations of candidates for the job that went to Brewster, the best one was by Grant. But Maturi just didn’t feel he could hire a high school coach even though it turned out that Grant would have certainly been more successful than the coach he hired.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/220752261.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Two words: Gerry Faust

Maturi probably considers Thomas Kinkade "fine art", too. Does the madness/weirdness/incompetence ever cease with ol' Joel?!?!?!?

per Sid:

• There’s a fun fact about Mike Grant, in addition to Chip Scoggins’ interesting Sunday story about the Eden Prairie football coach. When former Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi rated presentations of candidates for the job that went to Brewster, the best one was by Grant. But Maturi just didn’t feel he could hire a high school coach even though it turned out that Grant would have certainly been more successful than the coach he hired.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/220752261.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Whoa. Who would have thought Brewster was not the worst hire badger Joel could have brought in.

per Sid:

Go Gophers!!

Ah, yes Sid - points are so much easier to prove when you present your opinions by stating them as fact.

I like Bleed's use of the phase "per Sid:"

I interpret it as "perhaps you should take this with a grain of salt."

Or maybe entire Morton's container.

Or ten rounds if Cuervo, said salt, and lemon.

I don't think that Mike Grant would have been a worse coach than Brewster. I bet Bud would have tapped into his contacts to help him put his staff together. I'm not saying he would have been successful, just better than Brewster, he would have had a consistent plan and a stable staff.

I don't think that Mike Grant would have been a worse coach than Brewster. I bet Bud would have tapped into his contacts to help him put his staff together. I'm not saying he would have been successful, just better than Brewster, he would have had a consistent plan and a stable staff.

I think everything you listed there could have conversely turned out just the opposite. Bud's contacts are dead or are just his hunting buddies. He may have changed his plan each season. He might have fired and hired more coaches.

That's the great thing about "what ifs"--they don't mean anything. Ever.

No offense, but do you really think Bud still has contacts? There has to be a point in time at which coaches just aren't connected any more. Bud's career was basically in the 1970's and it's now 2013. I don't think Bud would have been much help and I don't think Mike Grant would necessarily have been any better than Brewster and it's actually quite possible he could have been worse.

No offense, but do you really think Bud still has contacts? There has to be a point in time at which coaches just aren't connected any more. Bud's career was basically in the 1970's and it's now 2013. I don't think Bud would have been much help and I don't think Mike Grant would necessarily have been any better than Brewster and it's actually quite possible he could have been worse.

Agree a coach like(Bud) that used to coach a long time ago(again in Sid's case beginning the beginning of him collecting social security). No kid would have likely known Bud or Sid. Minnesota kids likely would have known Mike, being the "somewhat preeminent school" and one of the largest schools but it seems they attract/"recruit" kids to one of the best high school programs in MN. Refreshes the select versus recruit talk.

Personally I am shocked, but not surprised, that they interviewed Grant.

I think the saddest thing about the whole deal is the fact that our AD actually thought about hiring a high school coach and interviewed one. We may not be a top school by any means but we're a freakin big 10 school. There isn't any way we should have to even look at high school coaches to fill a vacancy. That was just how bad Maturi really was.

Hiring a high school coach to coach a Big 10 program would be met with absolute ridicule on the national level. Sure, the "He's gotta be one of us" types in this state would pop a sustained erection but hiring him would've made Minnesota an even bigger laughingstock. My assessment of Maturi as an in over his head AD is even more justified knowing that he even considered a Grant a candidate.

Or back up the salt truck.

Nothing against Grant, but I highly doubt he would have been up to the job. He would have been a familiar name and "one of us," but I think his father's relevant contacts are all in the nursing home.

Hiring a high school coach to coach a Big 10 program would be met with absolute ridicule on the national level. Sure, the "He's gotta be one of us" types in this state would pop a sustained erection but hiring him would've made Minnesota an even bigger laughingstock. My assessment of Maturi as an in over his head AD is even more justified knowing that he even considered a Grant a candidate.

Let's face the facts - Wren was right! "MAC turi" was not the guy. Even letting Mike Grant interview was ridiculous.

Let's face the facts - Wren was right! "MAC turi" was not the guy. Even letting Mike Grant interview was ridiculous.

Wren was far from the only one that felt that Maturi wasn't the guy. The difference is that he was like a portly 5 year old with chocolate ice cream smeared all over his face saying, "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!".

I think the saddest thing about the whole deal is the fact that our AD actually thought about hiring a high school coach and interviewed one. We may not be a top school by any means but we're a freakin big 10 school. There isn't any way we should have to even look at high school coaches to fill a vacancy. That was just how bad Maturi really was.

Some of the wisest words every posted to this site.

So in the same week we learn that Bud could have coached the Vikings and Mike could have coached the Gophers circa about 2007. Slow week around the Grant house I guess. I don't think either would have turned out very well, but what a time it would have been for Sid.

Finally someone said it.

Just shows how the 'one of us' can cloud the judgment.

Is there anyway we can appeal to the NCCA to remove Joel Maturi years at Minnesota, I have.

One useful thing about never missing an opportunity to criticize the previous football coach and AD is that you don't have to hold the current coach and AD accountable for their performances. You can always say that even though they are under-performing they are still an upgrade over who came before them. Good going guys. Way to think ahead.

As I remember it, Grant took himself out of contention for the St. John's gig.

Look, I've never met the man, but I am old enough to have seen him play in college. I just don't understand why people are so incensed about this. From all accounts, Grant is a decent guy and is one of the most successful coaches in MN HS FB history.

We'll never know what kind of college coach he might have been - but for all we know, he might in fact have been a success.

It just astounds me that people can get so bent out of shape over something that didn't happen.

ornery, Grant was still a viable candidate for the St. John's job, and their powers that be picked someone else to replace Gagliardi.

As I remember it, Grant took himself out of contention for the St. John's gig.

Look, I've never met the man, but I am old enough to have seen him play in college. I just don't understand why people are so incensed about this. From all accounts, Grant is a decent guy and is one of the most successful coaches in MN HS FB history.

We'll never know what kind of college coach he might have been - but for all we know, he might in fact have been a success.

It just astounds me that people can get so bent out of shape over something that didn't happen.

He wasn't going to be hired there and he knew it. He saved face. Fasching had been the coach in waiting for a while.

I like how Sid stabs every former coach in the back after he wastes south ink saying we can't do any better.

Top Bottom