Sid: Look for Kill to get a "big raise" before or after the Syracuse game

Since Kill pays his assistant's salaries, I'm guessing this is how they will keep them around. I'm one that will say we may have the best assistant coaches in ALL of football.

I won't go so far as to say we have the best assistants in ALL of football, but I like the Gopher's coaching staff very much from top to bottom basically, and I hope the University takes steps to keep the entire coaching staff around for several more years. They've proven over the long haul that they know how to coach and can do it at all levels of college football. NIU wouldn't be doing as well as it has the past few years if Kill and his staff hadn't built that program up and left it in such great shape. And its not just that our record has improved, its how games are getting played out. There is an uncanny similarity between Kill's first 3 years and Mason's first 3 years, but he difference that I see so far between the two, is that Mason seemed to be able to screw up games that he had won with poor coaching decisions. 90% of his coaching was fine, even great at times, but it was that 10% that showed its ugly face at the worst times, the big Michigan 4th quarter come back, and the NCSU and TT bowl game comebacks. Those 3 games may have been the only thing that cost Mason his job? His other negatives were things we probably could have tolerated for a few more years if he had won those 3 games. Now granted, none of those 3 games were in his first 3 years, but I think early indications may have been there? I'm getting older and my memory isn't the best these days. But so far what I've seen from Kill is that he doesn't make the same kinds of mistakes that Mason seemed to make. Have we lost a close game where we had the lead, yet? All of our losses, except last years bowl game, seem to have been games were we just got outplayed early and where we couldn't gain any traction from the start of the game. But as we saw in the MSU game, we kept it competitive until the closing minutes. I think that is definitely progress. If we get off to a good start, we basically win the game. At least so far that seems to be the pattern.

It says we should expect to see Kill get a raise before or after the Syracuse game, so does this rule out the possibility of him getting a raise during the game?

I won't go so far as to say we have the best assistants in ALL of football, but I like the Gopher's coaching staff very much from top to bottom basically, and I hope the University takes steps to keep the entire coaching staff around for several more years. They've proven over the long haul that they know how to coach and can do it at all levels of college football. NIU wouldn't be doing as well as it has the past few years if Kill and his staff hadn't built that program up and left it in such great shape. And its not just that our record has improved, its how games are getting played out. There is an uncanny similarity between Kill's first 3 years and Mason's first 3 years, but he difference that I see so far between the two, is that Mason seemed to be able to screw up games that he had won with poor coaching decisions. 90% of his coaching was fine, even great at times, but it was that 10% that showed its ugly face at the worst times, the big Michigan 4th quarter come back, and the NCSU and TT bowl game comebacks. Those 3 games may have been the only thing that cost Mason his job? His other negatives were things we probably could have tolerated for a few more years if he had won those 3 games. Now granted, none of those 3 games were in his first 3 years, but I think early indications may have been there? I'm getting older and my memory isn't the best these days. But so far what I've seen from Kill is that he doesn't make the same kinds of mistakes that Mason seemed to make. Have we lost a close game where we had the lead, yet? All of our losses, except last years bowl game, seem to have been games were we just got outplayed early and where we couldn't gain any traction from the start of the game. But as we saw in the MSU game, we kept it competitive until the closing minutes. I think that is definitely progress. If we get off to a good start, we basically win the game. At least so far that seems to be the pattern.

One game that came to mind was in Kill's first year, 2011, at Michigan State. We were much more competitive than I think any of us expected to be, playing a team that would go on to win 11 games and the Legends division title, and we led 24-21 going into the fourth quarter, but Michigan State scored 10 points to win it 31-24.

MSU and Texas Tech are two games that come to mind. We still haven't lost a game under Kill when leading at the half.

Ill admit, i hated the Kill hire at first. But he has done what he said he was gonna do. This Gophers squad is the most balanced team we have had in some time. We need receivers for sure, but we have depth everywhere else. Kill deserves a raise, no doubt.

A rising tide lifts all ships. Pay the assistants and pay them well first. Then give coach kill a "big" raise when we're competing year in and out for the west division title.

per Sid:

• Look for University of Minnesota officials to make sure Jerry Kill, who is making $1.2 million, gets a big raise before or after the Gophers play Syracuse in the Texas Bowl.

Jerry Kill still has 4+ years remaining on his already-enhanced contract.

I could see -- and support -- a review of all relevant factors, and then a 1-year extension (for the year 2018) at a reasonable bump in pay.

I could see -- and support -- a review of all relevant factors, and then a 1-year extension (for the year 2018) at a reasonable bump in pay.

Tight ass.

MSU and Texas Tech are two games that come to mind. We still haven't lost a game under Kill when leading at the half.

Those were the only two games that I wasn't sure about. And in both situations it would seem that we did better than expected to even be in contention to win those games as late as we were. MSU in our first season more so than TT, in some way there was no way we should have had a lead going into the 4th quarter vs a team like MSU, so instead of a negative, that can be seen as a big positive. And most people, despite losing to TT last year, were excited about the direction Gopher fb was heading, so again, despite losing it could be seen as a positive sign or at least not a negative one.

I looked at Kill's past accomplishments in both college and high school coaching after we first hired him, and it gave me hope, but at the same time I was worried that people would expect him to do what he'd done at other schools here and on the same schedule, in 3 years, and I thought, "this is Minnesota, we have to be more patient, what took him 3 years elsewhere may take him 4 or 5 here". But to my surprise, he basically did it, same as at all those other schools, in 3 years. Now I'm not ready to sign him to a lifetime contract. I think he's still got more to prove. Mason had high expectations going into his 4th season and it was a letdown of a season, for sure, so I have high hopes that Kill will not follow in Mason's footsteps in this regard. It took Mason another 4 years to have a year similar to 1999, which wasn't enough to offset the negatives that led to his dismissal. My guess is that the Gopher faithful won't be as patient with Kill, and won't need to be, either. But that's just speculation at this point.

And that's how you lose coaches you like very quickly.

It says we should expect to see Kill get a raise before or after the Syracuse game, so does this rule out the possibility of him getting a raise during the game?

Yes, this means that we should expect that, at some point in his life, Jerry Kill will receive a raise and the only time we can definitively say it won't be is during the Syracuse game. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now, but he's getting a raise and it won't be during the Syracuse game.

We came back from being down 10 vs Nebraska, wasn't it? Can't remember if we were down at the half or not? I'm thinking we weren't. But still a comeback of sorts.

Top Bottom